Category 3 Youth Set Up

Information about our Ladies Team, Youth Team and Reserves Teams

Category 3 Youth Set Up

Postby Tommo » Wed May 23, 2018 9:29 am

Great news that we have achieved Cat 3 status for its youth arrangements. I wasn't sure I understood all the criteria that had to be met or the benefits at the forum earlier in the year but it is clearly a big and important step in being able to connect even more than now, the youth team with the first team. We can train youth for longer and then have a better chance of retaining them and that has to be good. Well done Scott and team
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Category 3 Youth Set Up

Postby michael » Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 am

I still don't understand it-i guess you have to be close to the coalface to 'get it' ;but seems like very good news ,and a reward for a lot of effort-where maybe last season match/game results for the 'youth ',were a lot less important than getting all this in place .

is the obvious question ?
whats next ?

what is category 2 status/level-and what does that involve ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am

No, I'm not sure of the details of this achievement either but from what little I do understand it does seem right to applaud those involved in making it happen.
It would be good to have a " lay fans' " guide to what it does mean though - are the Club able to provide this?
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed May 23, 2018 12:27 pm

This is an indicator of tremendous progress driven by Scott Bartlett and his team, Cat 3 is a recognition of achievement based on strict criteria.

In practice the status will help us recruit and retain a high standard of footballer at youth level to complement efforts to sign quality senior professionals. Lots of joined up thinking from the club and great teamwork from the academy staff under Scott.

Onwards and upwards all round at the club.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiesos » Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Don't get carried away that this award will help local lads progress in the system, it means that more league clubs
will pass on their surplus youngsters to FGR, which has happened this past year.
You may well think this is good, but I worry that local lads will miss out on a good experience of football coaching
that has been enjoyed since the youth system was set up by the parents some 10 years ago.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Postby GETCARTER » Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 pm

What is wrong with picking up higher league clubs surplus to requirement youngsters ?. There is plenty of evidence that many players from high league clubs still make it when rejected, and then re-emerge with lower league clubs.Injuries, motivation, out-of-favour individuals still deserve another chance.It could very well be a chance obtain a promising player who we can develop into what we need.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 pm

credit also to Scott Laird for his involvement/interest/support of the academy -sse clubs twitter feed
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiesos » Fri May 25, 2018 10:49 am

No problems with what GET CARTER says, but I have seen instances where promising local youngsters have been discarded
for non footballing reasons over the years, sometimes without explanation or reason.
Earlier this year two genuinely committed lads were dumped without warning to be replaced
by two boys from Southampton, despite them being promised their place in the academy and training and playing for them during
the season.
The reason given was that the new lads played in the same positions, I thought the idea was to develop boys potential
not building a team.
The result was two local boys were unable to find academies that had places due to the lateness of the decisions.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Postby GETCARTER » Fri May 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Maybe the two new boys were deemed to have more potential to the club, and also the academy has to run to a budget on salaries and the four kids in question were, if held together, were over budget.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiesos » Wed May 30, 2018 9:44 am

I don't really want to get into a big discussion GETCARTER and your point about the new boys bringing more potential
Could well be correct but my point was the way it was done, the lateness of the decision and the dissapointment felt by the local boys. Do we really have to be building a team or should we be looking at something else.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Postby Zodiac » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 am

Would of liked local lads given the chance to prove themselves at u18s level
I agree on paper a lad from Southampton or villa should be a better prospect, but they have been released for a reason .
Just looked at last years u18s results , quite surprising due to the team full of realeased lads from other academy’s ?

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/england/ ... 5/matches/

5 wins and and 3 draws out of 31 matches

Would decent local lads done better given the chance after training full time in a academy?
I think with time they would , most of the local lads have only played and trained once a week , and are being compared to lads who have had a higher standard of coaching 3 times a week since the age of 8.
What the club is missing out on is the local lads would of played for the badge With pride , all you will now have is a bunch of mercenaries only looking out for themselves.
Zodiac
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tommo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:47 am

I get what Cookie and Zodiac are saying but on balance surely this is a really positive thing. Not only can we attract better youth players but we can retain them more easily too. Yes, it would be great if local youth players could get an equal chance but I would think that, in most cases, if they have sufficient talent for the level we are now at, they will get that chance.

Management of communications, especially communication of bad news is important and it sounds like the set up is still learning that aspect - as they may be in other parts of the club. But our expectations of getting youth players into the senior set up will only be met if the youth set up continues to develop - and keeps pace with our promotion. It seems that Scott and the team have managed to take a positive step in that direction. Good news.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 pm

It is obvious that when comparing two kids from our academy to two who have been released from other clubs, and only two can be retained, you take the two who give the club more potential, and you cannot take into account where the kids are from.We are looking to move forward, and have to take important decisions regarding kids futures, and as long as they have been given sound advice and guidance ,their futures will be smoother if they are rejected.That is is the name of the game and no sentiment can be given.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Return to FGR ladies and youth Teams