End of Season

Information about the FGR Women’s, Youth and Reserves Teams

End of Season

Postby paulK » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Sad to see they lost their last game.

Ok, so they are 10th, but more importantly what does that mean? Stay up or relegation?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: End of Season

Postby Tommo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Torquay got a point at Illminster so my understanding is we finished in the bottom 2 and so are relegated
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 am

Hmmm. Shame. Nevertheless, I suppose that given they are in a period of rebuild, it might be easier for them in the lower division. And who knows, we might have another exciting promotion bid next season :D

COYLR
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 pm

I think it starts at the top-and it was a question put to DV at the forum.

Accepting his reply that priority has been establishing the club as an EFL team , i did think it was a bit of a fluffy response ,and did not give me a lot of confidence that things will improve much in the next 12 months,when womens football in general (world cup boost coming up) is the next big thing after electric highways and veganism.
if i was a ladies player-i think i would have welcomed a bit more enthusiasm/support from the chairman.

More than anything. i am surprised where one likes to think that FGR are a progressive club in terms on initiatives/community/publicity /youth football -but the ladies first team seem to be left behind.
I am probably wrong -but thats the perception-and i guess we all like 'winners' ,which sadly the ladies have not been.

That given-whilst he can hardly count himself as an outstanding success-whatever the difficulties, the managers end of term report on the official site gives a bit more encouragement that things will improve next season-but what internal support is he given ?
If he is getting the support-but not the response from the team,then no different to the mans game -you look elsewhere .

If he is not getting that support-i think the club need to provide more to him -and i wish them well for next season .

Perhaps at least the cup games should be played at TNL. Got to make them feel involved/wanted and valued .
Thats one way to attract better playing staff
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:34 pm

michael wrote:I

More than anything. i am surprised where one likes to think that FGR are a progressive club in terms on initiatives/community/publicity /youth football -but the ladies first team seem to be left behind.
I am probably wrong -but thats the perception-and i guess we all like 'winners' ,which sadly the ladies have not been.

We had a pretty good ladies team last season and it was a bit of a surprise when they started by faring so badly. However, you & I both asked what he reason was (it seems only a couple of us are interested in ladies ;) ) It does seem that there is little interest in the ladies team.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:46 pm

paulK wrote: It does seem that there is little interest in the ladies team.

If that is the truth then I find it incredibly sad.

There is definitely growth in the Ladies game in England. Last night Manchester United Ladies sealed promotion to the WSL, for the first time, which should make things a little more interesting next season. This summer we have the Women's World Cup to look forward to, with Phil Neville's England definitely in with a chance of lifting the trophy. If England win the World Cup then surely this will act as a shot in the arm to the game in this country, it is definitely popular already, it would be a pity if FGR Ladies were not in a position to benefit.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby paulK » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Foggy wrote:
paulK wrote: It does seem that there is little interest in the ladies team.

If that is the truth then I find it incredibly sad.

I don't think it is helped by fixtures to being publicised. Whilst I'm sure I'd have problems convincing my wife I'm not going just to watch a load of girls running around in shorts I would be interested in popping along sometime in my scarf and cap.

Same applies to Central league. As NFR said, she could have gone to a game local to her had she not found out about from the match report.

Despite it being all about the first team for Vince (not a criticism, I may add) some of us are interested in other football going-on.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Whilst advocating more promotion of the ladies team-i admit i am part of the problem -i don't go to ladies games.

Whilst I'm sure I'd have problems convincing my wife I'm not going just to watch a load of girls running around in shorts I would be interested in popping along sometime in my scarf and cap.

If i am honest-i would have the same problem as PK above -it sort of feels unhealthy ,but that is how society makes you feel.
shouldn't be like that as plenty of middle aged ladies come to FGR to watch mens football
It is fact though.

There again-i am not the natural target audience ,and just because i don't go to games does not mean one is not interested .Surely you want your club to be great at every aspect.

The club sells family tickets i believe .Isn't that one of the target audiences ?-school age children.
-maybe those buying family tickets to the mens game should be given free family tickets to the ladies games .

-we hear how a few nationally/internationally famous mens footballers/sportsmen have adopted veganism -i am sure there are one or two england lady footballers/sportswomen who are vegan-why can't we have women sportspeople at fgr and meeting both men and women players .

In fairness we hear from the ladies team manager most weeks -perhaps the occasional interview with a ladies player may help.
Let girls hear how football and training has improved the quality of life /fun /fitness for one or two of the girls who play for FGR ladies.

Is there an ageing local bristol city lady footballer -about to retire maybe and a bit past it at that level.Get her to have one further year of her career at fgr-a part time professional -pay her a salary-let her inspire the girls,and show what they can achieve,promote the game locally ,help the girls improve their skills .

OK-they are bottom of the league-and much longer established, but should FGR not be aiming to emulate west country rivals -Yeovil ,who are playing a ladies league game v manchester city in ten days .

Ten year plan please to see FGR ladies in the second tier of the ladies game.

http://www.yeoviltownladies.com/index.html
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 pm

Forgive me where i thought DV's response to a question about the ladies team was a bit lame at the recent forum, and i certainly did not get the impression it meant much too him (hopefully i am wrong ) .

I note today he has rightly praised the boys academy team.

Admittedly, the ladies side have not given him anything to praise this season, but regardless,maybe a bit more 'encouragement 'from the very top (DV )might lead to a brighter season for the ladies next season.

I simply feel that FGR are going to 'miss the boat' in terms of the very very fast growing sport that is ladies/girls football
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 pm

at least there appears to be something in the programme tomorrow, and reading the precis of it on the official site,it seems to answer my question :

where did it all go wrong ?

from how it reads it seems that half the team left in december .
Is that correct ?

The next question is why ?

I really hope they do well next season,have stability and the club can grow and support from the outset-a strong ladies section
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR women and youth Teams