FGR Youth setup (closed shop)

Information about our Ladies Team, Youth Team and Reserves Teams

FGR Youth setup (closed shop)

Postby Christopher Coyle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Bit of a moan might make a few people unhappy but the youth teams at FGR need to take a good look at their selves.

I have a friend who has a 9 year old lad who enjoys his football and has been trying to get him a team, so i managed to get him a phone number for somebody in the FGR youth setup and he gave them a ring. then 2 weeks ago he rang this person asking simply if his lad could get a look in at FGR. Then the person at FGR seemed not be to fussed about the call but did say they would find out and call them back in a couple of days, but now 2 weeks have passed and no phone call back (which is rude to begin with) he rang this person back to find out whats happening but they quite simply said there is no room!!!!! i doubt whether this person even made an effort to find out for him

How can there be no room? how hard is it to let him go training for a bit he didn't need to play matches just a bit of coaching! (if he was 14/15 i could probably understand a little more) but in a time when the FA are doing all they can to get as many kids playing as possible, FGR are telling kids who at a very early age that sorry there is no room.

There is a local perception that the FGR youth setup is a bit snobby and think they are a bit better than they really are and lets face it we didn't see many cups being paraded around the pitch by our youth teams last season so that is about right.
What is it the cool kid at school has his dad as coach and all his mates play?

Seriously grow up as this is pathetic letting a 9 year old kid go without a kick about one night a week.

I will never advice anyone to take their children to try at FGR again as quite frankly they probably deserve better than being coached by these Dads.

Once again he is 9 years old!!!!!!!!
Christopher Coyle
First Team
First Team

Re: FGR Youth setup (closed shop)

Postby whoisit » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:24 am

Very well put across Chris. Agree with. You totally. Sad to see this as it was a wonderful setup in the past
whoisit
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cashes greener » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:42 am

"The coaching staff and officials of Forest Green Rovers understand that children participate in football to have fun. We never forget that the game of football is just that - a game. It’s not about how many wins and losses are accumulated. And, it is surely not about how many trophies are collected. It’s not about how many goals we score or concede. It’s all about enjoying the game and, at the same time, learning and developing football and life skill"

:shock:
cashes greener
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cookiesos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:00 pm

cristopher coyle wrote,
.There is a local perception that the FGR youth setup is a bit snobby and think they are a bit better than they really are and lets face it we didn't see many cups being paraded around the pitch by our youth teams last season so that is about right.
What is it the cool kid at school has his dad as coach and all his mates play?

can you explain this statement re. snobbery in the youth teams and what on earth do you mean by the cool kid with
his dad coaching??
All the coaches do their work for the children free of charge and give up their time freely.
cookiesos
Youth
Youth

Postby Christopher Coyle » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:33 pm

I will happily explain myself regards the "snobbery"

like i said their is a local perception that the people running the FGR youth setup are a bit to big for their boots and take it all a bit to serious and think they are just a bit more special than every other youth team in the local area so they need to have trials every year and kill confidence of children by pretty much telling them they are not good enough so hit the road. get over yourselves and grow up you are rejecting 9 and 10 year old kids from playing football which is completely wrong!

i am no expert in running a youth team and i have no interest in being either but when you see the FA saying that at an early age for all kids it is not meant to be be about winning and losing but "being involved" and getting enjoyment out of it. The FGR youth setup are not conforming into this but are getting to "SNOBBY" and saying how either there is no room or your are quite simply not good enough.

cookiesos wrote:and what on earth do you mean by the cool kid with
his dad coaching??
All the coaches do their work for the children free of charge and give up their time freely.

Okay fantastic volunteers are great don't get me wrong but volunteers are normally about supporting local communities.

But where is the local community spirit in seeing young lads not getting a kick around during the week but sitting on their backsides at home instead.

Don't worry tho he's been told they have trials again in July!!! so he should just tell his lad "don't worry mate have a trial in half a years time"

children 9 and 10 should not be trialing to see if they are good enough it is about being INVOLVED!
Christopher Coyle
First Team
First Team

Postby whoisit » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:32 pm

see noone has given you a desent reply yet chris ,maybe his dad needs to join the coaching staff or is that a closed shop aswell ?
whoisit
Reserves
Reserves

Postby byrnesy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:38 pm

I agree mate but I think its a forest green rovers thing throughout the club. Admittedly im 46 but still fancy my chances as a footballer, so with dh leaving I fancied playing for fgr, a bit like your mates son. So I popped along to training and the same thing happened, they said I couldnt play for the first team. Even though I really wanted to. But I said the same thing footballs for fun and not all about winning. They advised me that there is a team for everyone and all standards somewhere around. So I had a little look and found a team of my own age and own standard and I am happy.
Its not about snobbery or a closed shop and if you think fgr youth are just a village side then im afraid you are mistaken. yes they have trials and find the better players but is this not being done to find potential first team players. Just as Cheltenham Swindon Bristol city/rovers are all doing.
The moral of this story mate is yes football is for everyone of all ages and abilities you just need to be honest with yourself about where you fit in.
Just my opinion ;)
byrnesy
Reserves
Reserves

Postby rallyrover » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Could I also add to byrnesys point by saying that to take a young lad in when you are struggling to give all the lads you already have a game would be very foolish.
No its not all about winning or anything other than having fun with the junior teams but when you have a youngster that comes to training and then cannot get a game he feels down and rejected which is the last thing anyone at that age should feel. So by saying there is not room does really mean at this age that we can not guarantee a game so would rather not take him in and disappoint him.

When you reach the level of say 15-16 plus then things change and then player standard and ability come to the fore as players are old enough to fully understand that what we are looking at that stage is to find quality players for the club.

Ask your brother Chris, He was part of the youth setup as a player and a coach. As a player he was involved in the youth setup when I was involved with the youth team management and as he will tell you things are really competitive for places in the squad, let alone match team places.
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit.
rallyrover
First Team
First Team

Postby Stewjacksam » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Chris

Ask your friend to send his son along to Frampton youth FC - everyone is welcome and they have a joined up system stretching from u6's through to u18's and a link into men's football

Training is held every Thursday at Wycliffe school outdoor surface - the u9's training from 6.30 to 7.30

I can guarantee your friends son will be made welcome!
Whitminster lads following "Non ita parva clava in colle"
Stewjacksam
Reserves
Reserves

Postby brendanslater » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Do FGR have the only under 9s team in the local area? No, so they shouldn't be obligated to take on every lad who wants a kick around just because you and his parents believe that the first place he should go to, and be welcomed with open arms, is the local pro club's youth team. From my understanding the youth teams take on a limited number of players in order to guarantee match time. I know of clubs who will sign on 20+ for one team and keep the weakest players on the bench all game or not even bring them along. As Byrnesey said, everyone has their level and I'm sure your friend's son will find his very easily.
brendanslater
Trainee
Trainee

Return to FGR ladies and youth Teams