Prediction League endeth

Guess the correct results, scores and attendances for Rovers!

Prediction League endeth

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I wish to give notice that I won't be running the Prediction League after the end of this season.

The competition has run for 10 years, provided a lot of fun and raised thousands of pounds for the club. Thanks to everyone for your support - some have been participants every year since we began. A huge thank you to those who have sponsored competitions, again several have given prize money every single year. I have also appreciated the help of Stroud Green and Chopsy in compiling results when I am away.

Old Tom Cat’s excellent forecasting competition will, I’m sure, still provide lots of interest in predicting. Of course if anyone does want to take over running it, I am very happy to support you.

A large number of you have money credited to you for winnings. If you see me in the next couple of months ask me for it, if by April it is unclaimed I will leave it at Reception or post it to you on receipt of your address.

This link will take you to the main page for this year, the red print is money you are owed.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62011
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Prediction League endeth

Postby John Whiffen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Sorry to see you retiring from this prediction league Phil.

This has given a lot of fans many hours of pleasure and I'm sure will be greatly missed. I for one will miss it unless somebody volunteers to take it on.

Once again, many thanks Phìl.
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby Theoperator » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Completely agree with John, though a late entry its been great fun, and would really miss it.

Many thanks for running it- I bet it takes a lot more time that we realise, and Im really grateful for the work and resulting sponsorship and moneys its generated.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Thirded.

Thanks for everything you've done here to keep the forum fun.

Hopefully someone might step into the breach, and things can continue.

Anyone?

:?:
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Appreciate the comments.

If anyone does want to take it over, then please have a go.....even if it's only for a season. It was my intention to only run it for a couple of years, but once you get into a routine it's not too time consuming.

The big plus has been the banter and the understanding if mistakes are made - everyone realises it is friendly competition for a bit of fun, though the bonus has been considerable money for the club in player sponsorship and donations to the Trust/Supporters' Club.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 am

Hi Pitchfork,

As I said to you in the CE Suite on Saturday I will be prepared to help out but will require help.
I'm prepared to do the weekly/monthly scores and updates but would you be prepared to continue in organising collecting cash and chasing sponsors etc.
I know that this competition has a very decent amount of support which raises a lot of money for the SC and it would be a shame to lose it.

BTW I'm already organising a competition/result chart in preparation for next season. :D

Tom
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Very willing to support you OTC and I'm sure you will find lots of the current predictors very keen to join in for another season and some will donate sponsorship. However I think you should take ownership of the arrangements or it could get complicated. Here are a few suggestions, take them on board if you wish.

. Re.collecting cash

Anyone winning prize money this year( and who hasn't claimed it), would probably be prepared to roll it over until next year towards their subs. There are at least a dozen here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62011

Any not used for this purpose I will hand over personally in the next month or leave at reception for named winners in April.

All subs are usually given to me at a match or left for me at reception. Collecting the cash should be straightforward for you. Once subs are paid I have just turned names green, that's the receipt of payment.Simple. Subs have gone to sponsor players or to the SC

sponsors

I have set up a thread in March/April asking for names of those taking part and anyone willing to sponsor a prize ( has been £20,£10,£5 each month so £35 in total). I have always managed to get every competition sponsored.

If you are interested in running it I think you should take on the whole package but do it YOUR WAY. Your weekly forecasts have always run very smoothly, I'm sure these will as well.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Urban Spaceman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 pm

I just wanted to add my huge vote of thanks to Phil for running the competition so brilliantly over so many years and for making it so much fun for all of us participants.

You have earned a well deserved retirement from organising this and I am very grateful for all your hard work ! :D :D :D
Urban Spaceman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Thanks Urban Spaceman, have appreciated your support over the years.

I'm sure the predictions will continue in some form or other and I'm certainly prepared to do the season long ones if no-one takes it all on.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:48 pm

I've been in contact with Pitchfork and we've agreed that he continues with the season long competitions while I take over the monthly prediction league.

Obviously I will combine Pitchforks monthly competition with my weekly one (it will be too much trouble doing both).

What I intend to do is post fixtures at start of month to allow players to enter their predictions.
But thereafter for all games during month I will put up the league table and allow anybody to alter/enter their forecast up until kick-off.
I know some prefer to post their predictions once a month but others like me are happier doing it weekly.
Best of both worlds I think.

I intend to keep the scoring the same as before but will be adding an extra column for a goal scorer (3 points per goal scored by that player).
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby smertens07929 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Phil, I have £2.50 owing apparently - please put this (and any other winnings I may get before season ends) to the Supporters Club.
Many thanks
Sadie
smertens07929
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks Sadie - much appreciated
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am

Big thank you to you OTC. Sounds good.
Do you intend to raise funds next season in a similar way to what Pitchfork has done?
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 am

stanman wrote:Big thank you to you OTC. Sounds good.
Do you intend to raise funds next season in a similar way to what Pitchfork has done?

Most certainly, that is the sole reason I volunteered.
But that is where I could do with some help.
Basically I hate dealing with other people's cash, even though I spent a working life doing just that.
If anybody can help on that side I'd be more than grateful..
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to Pitchfork's Prediction Competition