Match Thread from The County Ground (Swindon)

All about our First Team

Re: Match Thread from The County Ground (Swindon)

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm

bobhunt wrote:Just like to say it’s not up to me what goes on the BBC website ! How anybody can think the manager isn’t being sarcastic ......

I know!!!! Unreal!!!!
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Clearly mark was being sarcastic but what's even clearer is he has completely lost the plot! He can't continue to act like this and get away with it surely?! I think it's pretty clear he isn't in control and I don't actually believe he even wants to be here anymore. We continue letting him poison the club and we go down or we take a chance with someone else. The club is desperate for a fresh start.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Signings on paper look ok and more to come ? Will give MC a month as he has been given the backing of DV but what worries me again is that 1 shot on target is not good enough, we have to be braver going forward and that means if we use wingbacks they must go forward with panache and intent, last week we looked to be going the right way and we can’t keep coming away from games saying we were unlucky, especially as I said 1 shot only. Referees getting stick again tonight by darren Ferguson http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42677016
As we’ve seen pro refs at our level are a must and as I posted before refs gave to look at their national set up in a multi million pound industry.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm

I thought that Monthe and Laird had their best display in a FGR shirt, given the strange task each was handed out
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 am

Interesting !! Whereas I suspect they are the 2 players that Cooper was referring to in his post match interview in a less than complimentary way !
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby doggy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:41 am

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:I thought that Monthe and Laird had their best display in a FGR shirt, given the strange task each was handed out

Sarcasm at its best FA, I wouldn’t expect anything else!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 am

camel wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42678543

the bbc didn't seem to get it either

Probably because he looked like he was being serious.
It came across as sarcasm to me immediately by what he said.
He implied he's in enough trouble already without getting himself in more by complaining.
He then said CD dived because no-one was near him when it was obvious that opponents were so close to him on both occasions that the ref had been expected to give a penalty.

I just hope CD's take on it is the same as mine!

From what I gather Cooper and Doidge have a good relationship and Doidge spoke highly of Cooper after he ended his mini goal drought earlier this season. I'd imagine they would have spoken about it afterwards and be fine.

I just hope other clubs don't see it as an invite to make an approach. We don't want his head turned at all.

I hope you are right. The point he makes about being in trouble already suggests you are. I missed the irony first time round
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 am

stanman wrote:Farrend has just tweeted:
"Just left the hospital, all is ok thankfully just wanna thank all the medics/nurses and doctors that help me today. Honestly they were class ".

Good news!!! Hope you're back very, very soon Farrend. We DO need you!

Great news!
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:21 am

tommyd wrote:Clearly mark was being sarcastic but what's even clearer is he has completely lost the plot!

Disagree. If anything I would say our management are starting to find the plot and rectify a lot of our weaknesses. We've now got some real steel at the back, including Gunning whose communication/organisational skills will be a big plus, a strong central midfield pair in Collins and Osbourne that offer good protection to our defence, a creative midfielder who looks to drive at opposition defences and a high quality strike partner for Doidge. We're a better team now then we were a month ago, and I'm confident results will start to reflect that.

New signings all looking good, impressed by Grubb and Hollis today. Although we didn't create enough, some very promising signs that Doidge, Reid and Grubb will cause teams a lot of problems, the more they play together.

Looked like at least 2 clear cut penalties to me, made a huge difference as had we gone in front I think we'd have won that.

We are looking a lot more solid, teams are going to have a much harder job scoring against us and we're a lot stronger physically all over the pitch. It's not going to be perfect straight away, but when you're bedding in a umber of new signings that's always going to be the case.

Lots of cause for optimism imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 am

My understanding of the match purely from the forum: We tried hard, there were some positive signs, yet we only managed one shot on goal, the keeper was at fault for the goal, players were not played in their natural position, the manager blamed a player (albeit ironically), the fans were great, the manager failed to acknowledge the fans. We lost, we are in the relegation places.

So what has changed? Sounds more like normal service has resumed. :(
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 am

Mothy wrote:My understanding of the match purely from the forum: We tried hard, there were some positive signs, yet we only managed one shot on goal, the keeper was at fault for the goal, players were not played in their natural position, the manager blamed a player (albeit ironically), the fans were great, the manager failed to acknowledge the fans. We lost, we are in the relegation places.

So what exatly has changed? Sounds more like normal service has resumed. :(

What has changed? We weren't bullied physically, we defended set pieces well, communication at the back was better, Doidge wasn't isolated and we have a midfielder who looks to run at opposition defences.

Work still needed, especially in fullback areas, but a lot of signs that January recruitment up till now has geuinely strengthened us.
Last edited by Kentstripe on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 am

Not the way I saw it Mothy.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 am

Just heard Darren Ferguson on the BBC complain about not getting a penalty and referees in league one

Ferguson I think was more forthright in his comment rather than ironic :lol:
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby camel » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 am

Highlights which probably doesn't reflect the parity between the teams but does reflect the number of efforts on goal. Shame it doesn't include Reid's chance or the two penalty appeals. Hopefully they will be in the extended highlights....

http://www.skysports.com/efl/championsh ... rest-green
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jokerman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:02 am

MESSI GOAL SINKS ROVERS. Saturday 13th January 2018.

Forest Green Rovers supporters descended on the County Ground Swindon in droves today.
The barman at the away end was overwhelmed expecting only the one skateboard. There was an underlying air of confidence amongst fans following the encouraging win against Port Vale last week with the new look team.
The team news gave first starts to Dayle Grubb and Haydn Hollis and with Monthe retaining his place both Keanu and Reece Brown joined Laird on the bench.
The Green Army and massed ranks in the away end of The Arkells Stand must have been in excess of seven hundred in a crowd of over seven thousand as the teams paraded. They greeted Rovers with the full vocals and continued to drown the home support for the duration.
The sky was overcast and a bitter wind increased the chill factor as the game kicked off.
It was an even start but lacked quality and ten minutes before any meaningful attack.
Swindon's Anderson made a good run and passed to Norris whose shot was deflected over the bar.
Rovers replied with decent build up play winning a corner that resulted in Grubb crossing at the second attempt to Doidge but he was unable to direct his header.
Swindon went close on twenty minutes when ex-Rovers hero Woolery cut through the defence and set up Anderson who brought a full length save from Collins in the Rovers goal.
This was shortly followed by a sickening,though accidental clash of heads between Rawson and Swindon's Iandolo. After lengthy treatment on the pitch Rawson was stretchered off to the hurry-up wagon and hospital. After his impressive performance last week the loss to the team in the embryonic stage of rebuilding was a huge blow so early in the game. Laird replaced him.
Hollis was performing well on the right side of the defence and on thirty eight minutes made a timely interception denying Woolery a goal from ten yards.
Both sides were finding it difficult to create chances with defences in the ascendency.
For Rovers Grubb was catching the eye with his relentless work rate whereas Monthe was looking uncomfortable in his role on the right flank.
Swindon stepped it up as half time approached winning successive corners which were well defended but in the six minutes of added time Collins was again called on to deny Anderson with another terrific diving save.
At the break most Rovers fans would have settled for a nil each result.
Rovers started the second half on the offensive with Grubb crossing a free kick which was cleared.
Finally around fifty five minutes Laird swung the ball into the box picking out Doidge who struck it well which Swindon keeper Cook did well to hold diving low to his left.
A minute later a ball over the top was chased down into the area by Doidge who was bundled over amidst huge appeals for a penalty which the referee waved away. This did not go down well with the Green Army.
It was the best period of the game for Rovers reducing Swindon to shooting from distance.
Frustratingly however the ball would not 'run' for them and on sixty five minutes it fell to Reid in a crowded penalty area but the striker could not make room for the shot and the chance was gone.
Grubb was booked for a late challenge on seventy minutes for a late tackle. A sign of fatigue perhaps as he was replaced by Keanu soon after and left the field to a standing ovation from Rovers fans.
Seventy six minutes and Swindon made a double change bringing on Mullin and Gordon.
Arguably this was pivotal As Swindon took the lead on 79mins.
A dangerous cross from the right saw Hollis beat Norris in a heading duel inside the six yard box but the ball fell to red shirts marauding forward. Anderson inside the box on the left sent in a fierce low shot that Collins did well to parry on the six yard line but the ball was loose. It triggered the mother of all scrambles and Hollis desperately trying to prevent Norris scoring threw his body on top of the ball. As the penalty appeals went up the ball went under him goalside and Norris bundled it over the line. After a brief hesitation the referee awarded the goal.
It gutted Rovers but did not quieten the supporters as they urged the team onto the offensive.
With time running out Swindon were content with row Z and corner wasting tactics.
The one hope came when Doidge turned with the ball inside the area lining up a clear shot was brought down from behind in what looked like an illegal challenge. The referee didn't think so and the players appeals were to no avail of course. The Green Army were apoplectic quite understandably.
The final minutes were played out with an air of bitterness and the referee must have been up half the night doing his report as he was handing out cards like a used car salesman as the game came to a close.
It was cruel luck on Rovers who battled well against an unimpressive Swindon side despite losing Rawson early on. A point would have been fair but there was no escaping the fact they were goal shy today and paid the price.
Back in the drop zone they will start again next week hopefully with Rawson recovered.
There will be no lack of confidence going into the game against Cambridge United,wearing a Forest Green Rovers shirt means failure is not an option.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Running Rover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:
The Running Rover wrote:
bobhunt wrote:Mark was being ironic.

Are you sure Bob? He mentioned it so many times in his interview and it came across as him being serious. Saying that, never quite sure how to take MC.

He was definitely being sarcastic!!!!

Unbelievable how people miss that!!!

There's quite a few things that MC says or does that I don't get! ;)
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 am

Cannot believe the irony and sarcasm MC are missed by so many. Found it rather amusing that he was slagging off the ref in a way which would not get him in trouble. Literally 90% of FGR fans on Facebook don’t get it.

Though I would prefer him to do a straight interview in a ore professional manner. He was just frustrated to lose and carried it into the interview. Please get a keeper and 2 wingbacks and centre mid, else we are going down.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby gooseman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 am

Where to start. £23 to watch League 2 football. Sorry you can't justify it for that. For me it was the same old issues. Players not shooting when the opportunity arises. Crosses not coming in when in a good positions. We know have 2 players with good heading ability. The injury was a blow but the reshaped team look muddled.
Grubb went on a few mazy runs but instead of passing he held onto the ball too long and over ran it. Hollis looks like he is a no nonsense defender. Don't expect him to pass it along the ground.
Ultimately, the game reminded me of Swindon - drab,
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 am

Missing Dale Bennett that's for sure. Should be getting points from a very poor Swindon side, how the hell they are were they are in the league is a bit of a mystery to me.
MC still needs to strengthen our midfield, Bradley Collins seem's more confident with a stronger defence in front of him but still prone to errors, need for another keeper a must.

Must have been one of he worse ref's we've had all season, would not be happy with him reffing a Sunday morning kick-about, terrible quality from a league ref.
Going to be a long hard finish to the season, not sure we will survive as a league club, not sure MC will either, Dale has put his money were his mouth is lets hope MC can do the business.
ONWARDS & UPWARDS, getting harder to keep the faith. :(
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:49 am

New team and same issues. Wonder what the constant is? :roll:
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team