Expectations for next year

All about our First Team

Expectations for next year

Postby tommyd » Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 pm

This may be premature and subject to change depending on recruitment but I'm just wondering where everyone else expects to be finishing next season?
Ever the pessimist I think it will be another long hard season. You can't underestimate the value of a club with all pulling in the same direction and this is a club at present with many factions. Be it the east stand v sounds stand, the old supporters v the new breed, the cooper ins v the cooper outs. There's still a lot of distraction off the field and its clear conflict has occurred between management and players (albeit ex players now)
My prediction is cooper out by xmas and a finish of 18th at the end of the season.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Expectations for next year

Postby FGR123 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 pm

As you said, too premature. How can you give a prediction when we have no idea who we will sign? Also all teams have comings and goings. Until we know who is where, it’s pointless in guessing.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Greeners Jnr » Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Mid table mediocrity would be good, I think we need to take a few years to build towards promotion. Accrington have done it in a sustainable way, slowly improving to where they now have a squad that could survive in lge1 next season. They should be our model.
Geronimo!!!!!!!
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Saltus Viridi fautoribusque est in Cestrensi comitatu

Postby tommyd » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Greeners Jnr wrote:Mid table mediocrity would be good, I think we need to take a few years to build towards promotion. Accrington have done it in a sustainable way, slowly improving to where they now have a squad that could survive in lge1 next season. They should be our model.

Said it last season and I'll say it again. Mid table mediocrity would be a dream especially after the last few years as an FGR fan!
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Corner Flag » Thu May 17, 2018 11:40 pm

tommyd wrote:My prediction is cooper out by xmas

I've no idea, but this definitely won't happen.
"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll"
Corner Flag
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri May 18, 2018 7:08 am

You have every right to your opinion tommyd, but I don't get the point in being so negative, especially this early.

There are a lot of reasons to be more positive imo, the club is in it's highest ever position getting by far the best crowds it ever has, and has some high quality players already signed up for next season, with more to follow.

People talk about this divide in our fanbase, personally think that's massively exaggerated. I know a number of people who don't rate/like MC, but that doesn't mean I don't get on with them. People have different opinions, but ultimately we all want the same thing. As for the East/South Stand stuff, as far as I'm aware the vast majority of the East Stand appreciate the atmosphere the South Stand create. And of those 7 lads that got banned, I'm pretty sure all not facing any criminal charges will be allowed back no problem. Why wouldn't they be? And if any of them are, I can't see why they'd have any complaints, there's nothing the club can do.

On the pitch, as far as I see it , we did some excellent business in January and since then have shown pretty much midtable form. With the core of that team all still in place, plus a number of new recruits coming in this summer, I can't see why our form since January can't at least be replicated, if not bettered, throughout next season.

Whatever happens, it should be entertaining. Looking forward to it.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Fri May 18, 2018 8:50 am

15th at best. Another relegation scrap at worst.

Recruitment will be the key, of course. As has been discussed on many other threads, recruiting players who are well established at this level and who will genuinely help us to improve is going to be difficult. And we probably need half a dozen, maybe more. We are probably going to have to replace Doidge too, which is going to be even more so.

Lets hope MC and our new Head of Recruitment have some ideas and that DV is willing to back them financially.

Once again, I doubt it will be dull. Rarely is with FGR!
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 am

Kentstripe wrote:You have every right to your opinion tommyd, but I don't get the point in being so negative, especially this early.

I was accused of being negative last season when I said we'd struggle. Maybe it's because if I have low expectations I'm not disappointed or maybe it's because I have massive reservations over Mark abilities. Probably a mixture of both.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am

Surely too soon to say. Much depends on whether Doidge gets an offer from someone further up the leagues and whether Ossie renews, plus who else we can bring in.

Our form since January suggests we are capable of finishing around 15th/16th/17th but we need to strengthen a number of areas and fill the gap Bennett's and the loanees' departures have left.

At this point I'm hoping for mid table but the level of confidence I have will be dependent upon whether MC and Richard Hughes bring in some strong talent and retain the best of what we have.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Stewjacksam » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Surely Dale has tasked coops with getting promotion
That therefore must be the target?
That’s what I’m expecting!
(However as an optimist with experience I’d take a playoff experience this season)
Whitminster lads following "Non ita parva clava in colle"
Stewjacksam
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tommyd » Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Corner Flag wrote:

why do you say that? I think dale has shown he will sack managers if he feels it's the best thing. Whatever he says he was expecting more from this season but gave Cooper the benefit of the doubt. If next season starts in a similar way to last I can't see cooper lasting too long. Dale is expecting playoffs. I don't think cooper is capable of getting us anywhere near that.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 pm

tommyd wrote:
Corner Flag wrote:

why do you say that? I think dale has shown he will sack managers if he feels it's the best thing. Whatever he says he was expecting more from this season but gave Cooper the benefit of the doubt. If next season starts in a similar way to last I can't see cooper lasting too long. Dale is expecting playoffs. I don't think cooper is capable of getting us anywhere near that.

I agree with you on MC's capabilities but I'd be stunned if DV is expecting playoffs next season. He'll be happy with a season in which we don't genuinely get dragged into a relegation battle.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Fully expect DV to want consolidation of last seasons place to keep comfortably in this league. No outrageous predictions from him, but stay out of relegation places. Also heard a rumour that Michel Platini is making this years FA Cup draw - would be great to draw Man Utd/City/ Chelsea at home in the 3rd round.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Fri May 18, 2018 7:25 pm

I just prefer to look on the bright side and expect the unexpected.
Examples this season: Boreham Wood, Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Wolves & Burnley.

If they can rise above expectations - so can we.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Dear NFR , Please keep up your uplifting predictions and suggestions for next season, they make a welcome and pleasant change on here. Always look forward to reading them.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Fri May 18, 2018 8:17 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Dear NFR , Please keep up your uplifting predictions and suggestions for next season, they make a welcome and pleasant change on here. Always look forward to reading them.

Well put!
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Fri May 18, 2018 9:50 pm

NewForestRover wrote:I just prefer to look on the bright side and expect the unexpected.
Examples this season: Boreham Wood, Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Wolves & Burnley.

If they can rise above expectations - so can we.

As usual, I hope you're right nfr. I just don't see us as having the same ingredients as those you mentioned. No accident in what those teams achieved.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Fri May 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Lower than last season but higher than where we ended up.

Lots learnt on and off the pitch and as always there's another mountain to climb.

And with no doubt there's more to learn still.

Onwards and onwards.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:49 am

In a word, modest. Mid table at best

I expect that we will find it hard to attract the quality Coops wants. Any good player at this level will have an agent capable of finding several suitors and FGR (& the West) is still an outpost compared to the North, Midlands and South East. Nor do we have close ties with some of the bigger outfits in our region, notably Bristol City & Cardiff City

But that need not be a bad thing if we build a tight smaller squad that plays to a settled system, and bloods some of our best Development youngsters - Jordan Simpson comes to mind as the next Pinnock. There is no merit in having a large squad of ordinary players and switching them about in search of alchemy.

In my opinion, next season will be a test of whether FGR can progress at this level or will struggle to be sustainable. I still hope for the latter but we have some gaping holes across the squad at the moment
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 pm

i find the posts about simpson and 'blooding the development players quite interesting (and contradictory ).

how many first team league games did simpson play .
i don't know-but probably about 2 max .

he was never proven at EFL level.

he is now in a championship academy/reserve side.
he may well progress to a first team player -and hope he does.
that does not mean he is ready for efl now

we have had equivalent players from championship/premiership sides on loan -about 6 last season.

we all said they were not good enough/ready for EFL which is a different kettle of fish.

so why would simpson be different ?
when we have seen last season that type of player does not work at EFL level-why do quite a few want to see the current FGR 'academy players in the first team and at the same time want to do better than last season ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team