George Williams. From Fulham perspective

All about our First Team

George Williams. From Fulham perspective

Postby FriendlyFFC » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Greetings all. Fulham fan in peace here. In George Williams you have certainly got a player who is a class apart to the vast majority of players at league 2 level. He's in fact easily good enough for league 1 in my and most FFC fans opinion and who is still young enough to improve beyond that. A full Welsh international with natural pace and skill who is most comfortable on the left wing but can player as a forward or attacking midfielder more centrally. Scored a ton of goals for our reserves, will beat his man with ease at time but maybe needs to work on the final ball and awareness of team mates ... but as I said before he's still young and capable of improving here. At Fulham we are sad to see him go. There were hopes he would make it here and prove decent at championship level but to be fair to him he didn't really get a sustained run.

At league 2 and league 1 level George has the potential to be a star and match winner. Good luck to him and to Forest Green.
FriendlyFFC
Trainee
Trainee

Re: George Williams. From Fulham perspective

Postby michael » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Thanks for the insight-appreciated and good luck in the premiership.

I have a lot of time for Sess-older bro-Chris that is- ; but think younger bruv also plays in Fulham Academy ?
There's 3 of them floating around with varying degrees of ability .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FriendlyFFC » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Yes Steve Sessegnon is Ryan's twin, we have high hopes for him as a right back. Chris the older brother has played the lower leagues but should have achieved more given his ability. They all grew up locally and my other halves mum worked at the school they went to. Steve and Ryan have better attitudes than Chris.

Anyway back to George Williams... you have a genuinely very good young player. Before a nasty injury he was on the verge of regular 1st team championship football... I think you'll be pleased with him and I hope he does well for you and fulfils his potential.
FriendlyFFC
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Lee A » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 am

The sad thing is, there are many players out there like George Williams, who are good enough for League 1 or League 2 but don't get a chance.

Unfortunately not all managers are preprepared to give them a chance, luckily we have Coops at the helm and he is bound to make the new Lawn great again.
Lee A
Trainee
Trainee

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:51 am

Best of luck to Fulham next season - lovely ground, great loyal crowd, some lovely pubs nearby.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am

FriendlyFFC wrote:Greetings all. Fulham fan in peace here. In George Williams you have certainly got a player who is a class apart to the vast majority of players at league 2 level. He's in fact easily good enough for league 1 in my and most FFC fans opinion and who is still young enough to improve beyond that. A full Welsh international with natural pace and skill who is most comfortable on the left wing but can player as a forward or attacking midfielder more centrally. Scored a ton of goals for our reserves, will beat his man with ease at time but maybe needs to work on the final ball and awareness of team mates ... but as I said before he's still young and capable of improving here. At Fulham we are sad to see him go. There were hopes he would make it here and prove decent at championship level but to be fair to him he didn't really get a sustained run.

At league 2 and league 1 level George has the potential to be a star and match winner. Good luck to him and to Forest Green.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I think most FGR fans will be pleased and also a little surprised by this signing. Good to hear he is 'most comfortable on the left wing' - does that mean he is a genuine left-footer? We have two pretty decent forward for EFL2 level in Doidge and Reid who would benefit from quality service. But I guess it might make it tricky for George to get into the Wales XI in that position, I hear they have quite a decent left-sided forward playing for them :lol:

I hear he had a bad ACL injury (not that there is ever a good one) which hindered his development?
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks FFFC. Very helpful and some insightful views expressed

Loved watching Fulham play last year on TV - when on song, few clubs could live with the passing and movement. Was at the 1-1 at Ashton Gate - great game when City were in their purple patch but despite the result, Fulham was a class apart

Good luck amongst the squillionaires
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FriendlyFFC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 am

Yes he had a bad injury (I think ACL) that put him back after he was genuinely on the brink of breaking into our 1st X1 in the championship. I believe he has recovered well but opportunties since Jokanovic took over have been extremely rare. He's a natural left sided attacking player (winger) but has occupied a more central position quite often for our 2nd string in the Premier League 2 and actually scored 15 goals in 17 appearances , so although not senior league level he obviously knows where the net is if played more centrally - when playing wide (which I believe accounts for pretty much all his senior apprearances) he will normally look to beat his man and get a cross in rather than cut in looking to score which may account for a less prolific league return. As I said before the lad has genuine pace and skill, he may be able to improve the consistency of final ball and awareness of team mates positions but still has time to pick up here (but is by no means awful in either case) - Fulham fans generally are very surprised he's not at least gone to a league 1 side as he seems a cut above league 2 level. Suffice to say I've seen players who have cost a million or so in the championship who are not as good as Williams. I like the lad and FGR seem a lovely club in a great setting so wish you & George the very best - maybe this move is exactly what's needed to kickstart his career and at 22 he certainly has time on his side to do so.
FriendlyFFC
Trainee
Trainee

Postby FriendlyFFC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am

Chrisgump11 wrote:Thanks FFFC. Very helpful and some insightful views expressed

Loved watching Fulham play last year on TV - when on song, few clubs could live with the passing and movement. Was at the 1-1 at Ashton Gate - great game when City were in their purple patch but despite the result, Fulham was a class apart

Ha! Bless ya and cheers for all your decent replies. I may have to make FGR my 3rd team behind FFC and my local side (Maidenhead Utd) :D
FriendlyFFC
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 am

FriendlyFFC wrote:
Chrisgump11 wrote:Thanks FFFC. Very helpful and some insightful views expressed

Ha! Bless ya and cheers for all your decent replies. I may have to make FGR my 3rd team behind FFC and my local side (Maidenhead Utd) :D

Yeah and I'm determined to mak my first ever visit to Craven Cottage next season. Always good when other fans pop into our forum in peace
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks for the post - this one seems a fantastic signing.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FriendlyFFC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Hope we get you away in a cup next season - would be a new ground for me and looks a cracking part of the country. All the best.
FriendlyFFC
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Timb » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm

There's only one F in Fulham.

My Co director is a Fulham fan and I've been to Craven Cottage with him a few times back before Al Fayed arrived and FFC were down close to where we are now.

I've got a vivid memory of standing on the terrace behind the goal and literally everyone almost in unison "No not the bloody short corner again..."
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 pm

When i was much younger, i remember being on the terraces at Craven Cottage, and looking over the back wall, and saying to my mate " Lokk there are two rowing boats coming down the Thames......who on earth would do that on a Saturday?".
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby andymac26 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing GW next season - sounds like a great acquisition.
Fulham and Brentford - the nicest London clubs by a country mile.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am

I am also a lifelong Fulham fan seeing my first game at the Cottage in 1957 when boots had toe caps and Johnny Haynes was the Maestro! In the last twenty years I have rarely seen them live more than a couple of times a season. I think potentially George is a great signing. He could be a game changer at our level. Only seen him play a couple of times but has great pace and is direct.
I think the unanswered questions have already been highlighted. Has he mentally recovered from his serious injury, which I think he has? Can he build a rapport with Cooper and play his way which is anybody's guess? I felt his last touch or final pass needed improvement but he is still young? He is very direct and has shown he can score goals. He is naturally left sided. I can't wait to see him play. I just hope it's not as a right back!! Welcome to Gloucestershire George.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Interesting to read about Brentford being one of the friendliest soccer clubs in London. A friend of mine bought two season ticket for West Ham last season at the new ground - one for him and one to introduce his 10 year old into the Hammers , after only two games, the boy was so scared at attending, that he refused to go any more. They were situated next to away fans, with little segregation, objects being thrown, violence occuring continually, and were frightened throughout the game, and leaving the ground was even worse as rival fans walked past each other menacingly. He decided to take the boy to Brentford each home game, and found a completely different atmosphere, they were welcomed, and have really enjoyed themselves, and became season-ticket holders.Enough said.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby andymac26 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:14 am

Apart from the friendliness at Brentford, the only football league club with a pub at each corner of the ground (or at least used to be).
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:41 am

If pigs could fly - would bacon go up ?.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Return to FGR First Team