Match thread from The New Lawn (Notts County)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Notts County)

Postby paulK » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
The time on the forum is not set by the administrator. Follow below:

Go to Use Control Panel at the top of the forum page:

Than Board Preference:

Then set your own time zone or Summer time/DST

Below you will see the time set

Press submit.

LM

Ooops, my stupid :oops: :oops:

To put it in its full context, the function is one accessed from the Administration Control Panel (to give it its full title) with access provided via the Global Administrator permission role.

Often, the person with such privileges is referred to as an administrator but I concede that those running the forum may not have anyone called an Administrator but something else and/or nobody has or had that specific function. or they have and it was working as it should or not as the case may be. Apologies if I've missed a scenario.

Whatever, after all, what you posted LM mirrors exactly what I said :o
paulK
First Team
First Team

Postby twinkletoes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Thanks lady magpie. X
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Robert+89 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm

i will admit it i gave cooper a bit off stick when he had a pop at the fans at the end of the game. The backing from the crowd is poor at the mo. Last season the south stand was rocking and its was huge help for the club staying up. But if i worked at the club and wated to know why the fans are not geting behind the club it hard to find out. Why dont someone from the club look on here and the fgr facbook chats. Not that hard. Im not anti cooper far from it and i dont care at all about the way vince wants to run the club. If Mark and co want a better backing then maybe Vince should talk to some of the fans and not just the newer one. Maybe the supports club need to take a look at what they are doing to impove it aswell. Not to sure what they do but im sure they will have some sort of links to the club and can share views.
Robert+89
Youth
Youth

Postby michael » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:35 pm

or
why not come along to the next forum-be pro-active and ask questions and explain ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Robert+89 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 pm

michael wrote:or
why not come along to the next forum-be pro-active and ask questions and explain ?

if i was able to i would of went to the last one. sadly not always able to. i did watch the last one on youtube when it was put up and it did not seems to be a place to voice concerns. it seems very nice quastions unless i missed somthing out.
Robert+89
Youth
Youth

Postby paulK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 am

Chrisgump11 wrote:4 pages already following a rare defeat - par for the course

Yesterday's was a pulsating game. At least until FGR surrendered after the second went in.

I agree with others that, through no fault of his own, Doidge's return has posed a problem - what to do with a striker who will collect a substantial number of goals but reduces the variety of attack? Williams' form re-ignited our season, so too his partnership with Brown (and Tav), so he must be in to pull the strings in the final third - then chose from Doidge, Reid, Mondal & Maccer, whoever proves the most effective. Always liked pace, so I'd like to see Mondal have a try.

even in the turmoil of last year, we regularly topped 3,000 for matches such as this. Maybe novelty counted for a few hundred, even with away supporters. But given our success and the way the team has been entertaining, I think we are 300 down on most home games. In the words of St Delia, "Where are you? Let's be 'aving you"

Finally, we have to keep faith in our team and management. They are the best we've seen at FGR and we are having a fantastic season. Take the occasional defeat with dignity and keep believing. We owe it to them for the fantastic performances we've seen this term

Hi Chris, I usually in agreement with just about everything you say but have to contest some of this.

Pulsating? Maybe, but the heartbeat was at sleeping levels at best, close-to-death at worst - at least with our performance.

Agree with the Doidge problem tho'. However, I 'm not sure he needs to be seen as reducing the options of variety in attack. Interesting that he moved out to the left when Williams came on. As for scoring, whilst yes, we've scored quite a few this year, they have been spread around a lot apart from Doidge, Williams and Reid.

I know I keep advocating, but I really would like to see us implement a "diamond" option more, along the 4-2-1-2-1 that Luton are killing it with in EFL1. That type of approach certainly seems to have had an impact on us recently. Even though we beat Crewe, I though they provided us with one of of the biggest challenges at the Lawn and it was only youth that challenged them. Coops went to a diamond in the second half vs Mansfield. Notts County. Well we've just seen the result of that.

Personally I think that Doidge, up front with a couple of forwards behind him including at least one speed merchant - Wiiliams plus A. N. Other - and Reece orchestrating behind them might prove a potent threat.

OK, three forwards, but what we have to remember is that Doidge is an excellent defender when it comes to set pieces and demonstrated that again a couple of times on Saturday.

Finally tho' don't see where you are getting your numbers attendances from. The equivalent game last year, where we lost by the same scoreline, was attended by just about the same number and our average for this year so far, at at just under 2,700 is less than 200 less than last years average.

Note: not mentioning your last statement with which I agree 110% :D
paulK
First Team
First Team

Postby paulK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 am

king giraffe III wrote:
dursleydog wrote:And that’s why I don’t think we’re going to get promoted this year. Just too many bad days in us

That's only part of the story. What I don't understand is why MC hasn't addressed the obvious issue than we're a man short in midfield. We've been set up to fail today.

Interesting to read your comments in retrospect KGIII. You mentioned a flat back four in your first comment. That was my first impression too - but I'm not sure it was supposed to be "flat" as the wingbacks, who are usually in the midfield 5 of our 3-5-1 were in there.

If the idea was that they were to be playing in a back four then what a waste! However, if we put them back where they normally are and, indeed, how they seemed to be playing, the line-up looks more like 2-6-2 :o

Now of course. on paper this looks far from a man short in midfield - more like midfield overload, so I'm not sure what you mean by a man short in midfield. On the other hand, the NC lineup was specifically set up to cut through a line-up such as this. So I can't help but agree that we seemed to be set up to fail.

On the other hand, if this was supposed to be a diamond-formation 4-4-2 then it isn't immediately obvious to me what was supposed to be and it looked a bit unbalanced IMO. So maybe something new that the players couldn't get their heads around? Who knows?

To be honest, in no way am I a football tactician. I'll leave that to Coops ;)
paulK
First Team
First Team

Postby Oggys right boot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 am

paulK wrote:
Oggys right boot wrote:
Onya Edson wrote:Before this match FGR were 4th in the League, a remarkable achievement, and I was looking forward to the game.
I was disappointed with the result but I was even more disappointed with the lack of support from those behind the South Stand goal, who didn’t sing at all, from the kick off until FGR equalised , but found their voices to hurl abuse at Mark Coooer as he left the pitch.
I’ve seen some comments on here and elsewhere that they don’t enjoy the home matchdays experience anymore.
It’s inevitable at any club, that the Chairman and Manager are not always adored by some fans, but the treatment of Mark Cooper was disgusting today.

What did you hear Onya? Genuinely interested? I’m pretty sure cooper responded to what I said As he walked off and in his post match interview - which was to attack more and to get the ball forward quicker. No abuse - no swearing. He seemed keen to start a foul mouthed argument but no one gave it to him from the crowd from what I heard.

Why is exactly of any importance. Expletives shouldn't be posted in here anyway.

OK, Coops said the same as you in his post-match. Personally I don't think it was because of what you, personally said any more than others posting along the same line. Coops is a man with his own strong opinions So how do you come the conclusion it was you and you alone being responded to?

There is absolutely no logic to your accusation against Coops IMO.

What a bizarre post - I think he was replying to me because he walked straight towards me and responded to
What I said whilst looking at me!! And then referenced my comment after on his post match interview - that’s all :)
Oggys right boot
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 am

We started on Saturday with a 4-4-2 diamond. People are saying they'd preferl us to play 3-5-2, but in practical terms there isn't really a big difference between the two. Still means a narrow midfield with Brown, Winchester and James/Digby with the defensive mid playing just in front of the defence instead of in it and the full backs providing the width. Imo it's a slight variation of the same thing.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Just got to hope the players are allowed to play to their potential and get top three. I would say Cooper holding back the potential through strange decisions and poor man management is the biggest threat to promotion. The squad itself is top two or top three quality.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 pm

its all about opinions, but for a bit of balance-i disagree with just about every aspect of the above post .

pressed for time so others may wish to fill in the 'why i/they disagree .
others may wish to substantiate why they agree with you. '
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm

The one thing we lacked on Saturday was a leader on the pitch. You know the type, the one that inspires others. Notts C had Doyle. Busy, niggly, in your face, bit of skill, a leader. What did we have? Bit of this and bit of that but no one to inspire others. Think its a key ingredient at this stage of the year and the position were in.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm

I agree with the sentiment/theory , but i thought GG was very vocal/cajoling-especially in second half as i observed from the north stand.

for those who think captaincy is all about shouting/encouraging etc-i thought GG did that pretty well on saturday ,so i guess i sort of disagree with you gooseman
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

After letting the dust settle and listening to all and sundry, I get what people are saying about the lack of attack on Saturday , however I get what MC says when he reminds us of ending up with four strikers, although Mondal was very late on, what annoyed me slightly was the slowness or distinct lack of switching play, there were numerous occasions when Mills was in acres of space , but nobody keen to switch it, and when they did it was all too slow, and their defenders adjusted without too much worry. If you play wing backs surely they have to be brought into the game more efficiently or they might as well just play as traditional full backs. Another frustration for me, don’t get me wrong I think he is excellent , but Mills , when the play is up the left , always seems to hang fire when off the ball, and refuses to gamble beyond their defenders, I know Shep did this and it probably cost us a goal , but Mills seems almost frightened to take on the opposition defence? Anyone else noticed? Don’t think RR and CD can play together, I would much rather see CD play with pacier players around him, noticed last couple of games he’s been double man marked, surely a reason to play pace either side of him into the space ?
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Eco-Exile wrote: I would say Cooper holding back the potential through strange decisions and poor man management is the biggest threat to promotion. The squad itself is top two or top three quality.

Are you a Football Manager with suitable qualifications then E/E?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dangers » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:50 pm

MC says we must build up openings but we tend to build up so slowly that the opposition have time to get behind the ball & therefore there are no openings. Notts County & many other teams that have played us at the New Lawn play quickly, using less passes & therefore have more openings. Have only been away to Cheltenham & thought we attacked with more zest & commitment thus creating more openings. So I would say play similar with fewer passes & quicker passes then our front 1 or 2 strikers will have some clear chances to put away.
dangers
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm

doggy wrote:After letting the dust settle and listening to all and sundry, I get what people are saying about the lack of attack on Saturday , however I get what MC says when he reminds us of ending up with four strikers, although Mondal was very late on, what annoyed me slightly was the slowness or distinct lack of switching play, there were numerous occasions when Mills was in acres of space , but nobody keen to switch it, and when they did it was all too slow, and their defenders adjusted without too much worry. If you play wing backs surely they have to be brought into the game more efficiently or they might as well just play as traditional full backs. Another frustration for me, don’t get me wrong I think he is excellent , but Mills , when the play is up the left , always seems to hang fire when off the ball, and refuses to gamble beyond their defenders, I know Shep did this and it probably cost us a goal , but Mills seems almost frightened to take on the opposition defence? Anyone else noticed? Don’t think RR and CD can play together, I would much rather see CD play with pacier players around him, noticed last couple of games he’s been double man marked, surely a reason to play pace either side of him into the space ?

LS and JM were played as conventional fullbacks on Saturday, albeit attack minded.

My biggest issue (and which is why I don't agree with Kentstripe on the similarities between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2) is that Gunning and Rawson were occasionally left very exposed and a gap would open up between them.
Good kick Joe
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm

I still maintain that we get far more goals when we belt down the pitch and maybe pass into the box. The slow built-up play rarely works in my opinion.

Also, I think we should drop Doidge and Reid from the starting line-up. Either or both. We've moved on from both of them I think.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:02 pm

So Williams and McCoulsky?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:Just got to hope the players are allowed to play to their potential and get top three. I would say Cooper holding back the potential through strange decisions and poor man management is the biggest threat to promotion. The squad itself is top two or top three quality.

I don't see this squad as top three. We're still a midfielder short, I'm becoming less convinced by James since Christmas, and Gunning's distribution and decision making is sometimes lacking. McG also isn't the finished article at this time. Elsewhere, the starting eleven is certainly playoff calibre.

I think we will fall short this season and probably not make the playoffs, but what has been achieved so far has been beyond my expectations. It's the home form which hasn't been good enough for the automatic promotion places. I'm also wondering if the Read/Doidge situation could be our undoing. I would have thought history showed that this pairing isn't the best - it lacks speed and Read blows hot and cold. Doidge frequently gets dragged out wide and Read trudges around with his hands on his hips. I like George Williams, he looks good with the ball at his feet, is eager to contribute and offers something different.
Good kick Joe
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team