All about our First Team

Retained list

Postby cookiemonster » Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm

cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Re: Retained list

Postby Bronco » Wed May 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Cooper retained?? Why, because he wouldn't get a contract anywhere else?
Bronco
First Team
First Team

Postby UPtheGreen » Wed May 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Don’t get the Charlie cooper deal not played a game for over a year , think It was time for gunning an Collins to go the other no real surprise , 8 released an Reid transfer listed !

We don’t need a lot of new faces just need 4/5 real top players to add to what we’ve got
UPtheGreen
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRinUSA » Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Only one I would’ve liked to see back is Campbell with Reid going out. A new striker will be coming in with only McCoulsky on the bench as of now and who knows if Doidge will be transferred again.
FGRinUSA
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Charlie has potential to surprise people if given the chance, still think he has potential but it's hardly a major thing as in all likelihood he won't play much anyway.

Far bigger news is Rawson extended which is great news and Collins released which is not imo. Would 100% have kept him. Great player never let the side down.

Shame to see Gunning go as I like him, wholehearted player and a good character who was popular in the dressing room. Tav as well although he probably wouldn't be a starter here so makes sense for him to go somewhere he will.

Thanks and all the best to those leaving, most of whom have contributed towards our best ever season.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRinUSA » Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm

We did bring in some young players in January like Mondal, McCoulsky, and UGM. Taylor Allen is also signed for next year.

I wonder whatever happened to Jordan Simpson, if he just wasn’t cut out for this level or what? It will be interesting to see if any Academy players are offered professional contracts as well as they had a good season.
FGRinUSA
Youth
Youth

Postby doggy » Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Gav I get, we need a centre half who can play football, sorry Gav!, sad to see Lee go thought he was a true pro and a good player but prob wants more game time, not too worried about others either , Inc Tav and RR, front line needs a shake up , we need another pacey striker (a la Nors) to help CD and GW, just imagine those three upfront ! CC ok as bench warmer and let’s not welcome him back with anything other than encouragement and humility .
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby UPtheGreen » Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

I want us to sign a proper number one keeper , monty is a good keeper but he’s shown this year that he’s got a mistake in him , we keep signing a number one on loan
UPtheGreen
Reserves
Reserves

Postby dursleydog » Wed May 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Would have preferred to retain one of Collins and Gunning, and sad to see Campbell go too, he was only going to improve imo.
Not sure what CC has done to earn a new contract, but we'll see what improvements can be conjured out of him.

As far as I can make out, this would make our shopping list look something like.
-Starting goalkeeper
-Backup left back

-Rotation centre back
-Starting central defensive midfielder
-Starting attacking midfielder (assuming Brown leaves which I think he will)
-Rotation winger. We only have Mondal (still raw), Williams (better up front) and Grubb (not a winger) at the moment, not really good enough if we're playing 433 regularly if we want to push on. Both Williams and Mondal are good and improving, but they need competition and rest.
-Rotation striker
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed May 15, 2019 5:30 pm

I get the feeling that Lewis Ward enjoyed his time here and hope that Reading allow us to purchase his services for an affordable sum.

Can't see Brighton letting us have Sanchez now, but would blossom further with us i believe?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Charlie copper could be a good player treatment he receives is nothing short of horrendous.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm

I just had a look on Wiki, not always to be trusted, and it looks like Reading have no less than six goalkeepers in their U-23 squad...which looks a bit like overkill to me...perhaps the club should try and get Lewis Ward back on a season long deal.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Firstly, sincere thanks to all those players leaving FGR. All have played a part in our successful season, some more than others

Choices have to be made, and room made within the available budget. Personally sorry to see Tav go - Doidge's return was not good timing for him. Also, Lee Collins' leadership helped us greatly in the run-in and his role must have caused some head scratching. Gav has been a victim of his temperament I think. Whatever, I only wish the best for all those leaving.

Could not agree more with PM. I trust our manager and coaching team to make the right choices and realise our squad's potential. Whether Charlie plays a part or not in next season's set up, let's do our best to encourage the right atmosphere for ALL players.

Finally, the squad looks to be brimming with talent. Add some good new ones, as last term, and we'll have much to look forward to
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed May 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Really disappointed to see lee Collins go. He’s been a great pro and really stepped up over the last couple of games and whenever else he’s been called on. Bit surprised tbh but maybe he just wants more game time.
Charlie Cooper... not going to start that argument again but wow...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed May 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Real shame to see Collins go, an absolute model pro.

Charley Cooper is not good enough, couldn't get into a struggling Borham Wood team.

I think Cooper is a good manager, but I'm sorry this is favouritism.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby stewjackhannah » Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm

no surprises - shame about Tav - obviously an attitude issue - the rest we agree with and no surprises except CC - maybe the year away has sorted the attitude to allow the hidden talent (that we've not seen yet) to shine through - we really hope so - and i'm sure everyone will give the lad a chance

a few more than 4 or 5 required we think - could be anywhere between 6 or 9 - we've lost 10 (8+2) plus RR transfer listed before we start if reece and doidgey go then we've lost 12 plus RR.
so minimum required -
1 - keeper - cover or replace monty - again monty started brilliantly ended less so, injury?; lets hope we get him back to 100%
1- left back cover for mills
1- centre half - another in the rawson or mcginley mould please - although we do have digby but he doesn't seem to play centre half and gets put in midfield - we all seem to recall he was excellent at the back although a long time ago it seems.
1 or 2 - ball playing central midfielders - these may be the most difficult to find - need someone alongside whinny as lloyd started brilliantly but faded halfway through the season - lloyd went from first on team sheet to might make the bench!
1 or 2 - centre forward - cover for doidge if he stays - if not we'll need two
1 or 2 - attacking players with pace - again mondal and williams need cover - grubby fell away badly second half of the season - injury?he appears to have lost a yard and the ability to create space and shoot.

thinking about this post season we had a few players who started really well (Digby/Monty/Lloyd/Tav/Grubby) and then over the season the standard dropped - even Shep after his lay off didn't get back to the same standard he was at the start - which was absolutely superb (we were worried about being able to keep him at the end of the season - less worried now!)

a good long rest along with some really good recruitment - expectation is now at different level and L1 journeymen won't cut it at the level we aspire to.
Already missing it - roll on next year!
stewjackhannah
Youth
Youth

Postby Rodborough Rover » Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 pm

I think it is the right call to release those few players. Like others have said here, if we can secure the services of Lewis Ward that would be a huge signing for us.

With respect to Ruben Reid, I actually think he should have featured in the play-offs. For whatever reason, it wasn’t happening for Doidgey. Ruben may have mixed things up a bit. Maybe.
Rodborough Rover
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Head Honcho » Wed May 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Very sorry to see Lee Collins leave. Out of all of the players released, he was the one I would have wanted to keep. In the first half of our first season in League 2 he arguably held the team together - even this season, when fit and picked, he led the younger players and never disgraced himself. Maybe a League Two journeyman, but sometimes that sort of player has his place. Good luck to him, wherever he ends up.

Can see why Gunning and even Campbell where released, even though both had their high points this season.

Charlie Cooper? A real surprise. A year ago we were still unsure about Reece Brown, but he came back a different player this season. Can Charlie do that? Wouldn't say he has the same level of Reece, but willing to be proved wrong...

Agreed with many of the other post: another keeper, a centre half to challenge Rawson and McGinley, a couple of ball-winning central defenders and a playmaker to replace Reece if he leaves. Colchester's Sammie Szodimics always made me nervous when we played them as he is a class player in this division - someone of his ilk would be needed. Finally some more firepower up front, as well as getting our Doidgey back to his best if we can hold on to him.

Last year Richard Hughes, our head of recruitment, did well. Let's hope for more of the same...
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Disappointed by a couple of these, though not too surprised. With Doidge surely likely to attract attention I would have given Tav another season. Reid seemed to completely drop out of contention and we could find ourselves very light on strikers. Should never have pushed Norwood out!

Jordan Simpson also appears to have disappeared without trace - pity, thought I saw something there.

I don’t get why Charlie has been retained, but will get behind him if he is picked as I always have. Doesn’t seem like he made much of an impact on loan.

Core of a decent squad already though. About 6-7 needed, probably a replacement for Brown about the most important.

Montgomery; Shepherd, Rawson, McGinley, Mills; Digby, James, Winchester; Mondal, Doidge, Williams.

Not bad, but can be improved on! George Williams needs a big season I think, still worry that he’s a tad lightweight.

Any decent ‘back up’ full backs in the academy...?
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm

stewjackhannah wrote:
thinking about this post season we had a few players who started really well (Digby/Monty/Lloyd/Tav/Grubby) and then over the season the standard dropped - even Shep after his lay off didn't get back to the same standard he was at the start - which was absolutely superb (we were worried about being able to keep him at the end of the season - less worried now!)

Standard dropped......due to player ability or coaching?
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Next

Return to FGR First Team