Is Dale a football fan?

All about our First Team

Is Dale a football fan?

Postby Ant76 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Genuine question from a relative newcomer.

I can’t remember whether it was FiveLive or talkSPORT that asked Dale this when they interviewed him about the new kit, but one or the other asked something along the lines of “Is your interest in Forest Green just about promoting green issues?” Dale’s answer was that it was “symbiotic” and that everyone wins. Fair enough.

I, for one, don’t really care what his motivation is. We’re in the mix at the top of L2 and he’s clearly been a big part of making that happen.

But I’m just curious... does anyone know if he was a football fan before he took on FGR?
Ant76
Youth
Youth

Re: Is Dale a football fan?

Postby michael » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 pm

Do you have to start by defining what a 'football fan' is ?

as 10 people will have 10 different definitions of a football fan,he /you /me will probably be classed as football fans by some and -no-hopers by others.

I have to say that as he is almost certainly in the top 100 of people/companies who have invested serious money into the football business ,that makes him a massive football fan imo
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:09 am

Win - Win.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 am

I believe I read somewhere that he said that when he eventually got involved more seriously after his initial help with baling out the club that he didn't know anything about football and it was all new to him.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:33 am

Looking at what is currently happening at Notts County, Bury and Gateshead, we are objectively very lucky to have someone like Dale in charge of the club.
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 am

Yes would be the short answer. But I agree with the prior comments
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Jamal Lacoste wrote:Looking at what is currently happening at Notts County, Bury and Gateshead, we are objectively very lucky to have someone like Dale in charge of the club.

Yes, Notts seem to have been very unlucky. I note the current owners predecessor has just been refused an employment licence in respect of his employment agency as he has been deemed not fit and proper because of what went on when he was club owner.

Shame the FA doesn't take similar steps when it becomes clear that a Chairman is not running the club in a fit and proper way.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:31 pm

paulK wrote:
Jamal Lacoste wrote:Looking at what is currently happening at Notts County, Bury and Gateshead, we are objectively very lucky to have someone like Dale in charge of the club.

Yes, Notts seem to have been very unlucky. I note the current owners predecessor has just been refused an employment licence in respect of his employment agency as he has been deemed not fit and proper because of what went on when he was club owner.

Shame the FA doesn't take similar steps when it becomes clear that a Chairman is not running the club in a fit and proper way.

The fit and proper persons test is a complete farce anyway.
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 pm

I would say he’s not a traditional football fan, in fact I wouldn’t say there’s anything traditional about him! Not that that’s a bad thing.
I would guess football is not his biggest concern but unlike a lot of chairman neither is money, so as long as he can continue to promote his message then it’s working for everyone.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:31 am

I had a few discussions with Dale about this a few years back. If I recall, he still played when he could for scratch teams and the like. Not sure if he ever had a team, but he's definitely a football man

I think Coops is the more interesting 'case'. I had a conversation with him when writing my books. I'd presumed he was a Leeds United fan given his Yorkshire birth, his father Terry Cooper's prime form with them and so on. But the answer was that he's never supported any club in the way that 'we' do as he was always tied up in the game. As he got older the family moved around to follow Terry's fortunes and of course his own career was getting underway. He recalled spending more time watching Bristol City than any other team during those formative years. Fascinating, I thought, and possibly explains why Coops sometimes seems at odds as we keyboard warriors oscillate between despair and ecstasy?

Back to Dale. One of the hardest jobs for a Chair/owner is to remain objective when your investment in people and resources is being tested every day, and your emotions jangle. I think he does that as well as anyone in our national game. A few years ago, he was mocked by other clubs or damned with faint praise. Now, he draws genuine admiration from opposing club officials and keen interest in how he does what he does. I hope he never becomes establishment!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team