Plymouth fans in the East Stand

All about our First Team

Plymouth fans in the East Stand

Postby Ant76 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Today was spoiled for me and my boys not by the performance (which wasn’t awful) or the result (which was disappointing), but by the fact that our block of the East Stand (1-23, next to the ticket office) was occupied almost completely by a very noisy section of Plymouth fans.

They were mostly well-behaved, apart from one “gentleman” that found it funny to make abusive comments about some of the people sat to my left (people with additional needs). But they were very noisy and derogatory about FGR players and the club in general.

When I spend my hard-earned cash on home tickets and take my two lads to the match, I don’t really expect to basically be surrounded by away fans. My youngest was quite intimidated and wanted to go home. We stuck it out but it wasn’t very nice.

I complained to the nearest steward at half-time, but this particular individual pretty much shrugged at me. To be fair he only seemed about 18 and was pretty clueless. The second one was much better and took me to the Stand Manager, who was already having a conversation with some other fans annoyed about the same thing. But sadly nothing was done. These people had clearly bought tickets for a home area, so should have been ejected or moved surely?
Last edited by Ant76 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Plymouth fans in the East Stand

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:31 pm

I went to Wolves not so long ago,and sat in their home-only main stand. When the alert stewards identified some ( well-behaved ) away fans ,they were quickly removed and relocated to their alloted area. Seemed to make a lot of sense to me. We could learn from that.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:18 pm

I believe they all paid for their hospitality fair and square.

They wouldn't have been in such fine voice if we had been sharper in front of goal...
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ant76 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Timb wrote:I believe they all paid for their hospitality fair and square.

They wouldn't have been in such fine voice if we had been sharper in front of goal...

Are you saying that it was the club’s decision to put them there because they bought dinner beforehand???
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:25 pm

They may have done Timb, but the behaviour mentioned in the second paragraph of Ant76's post should have been enough to have him ejected from the stadium...especially after it was brought to the attention of a steward.

What is the point of reading out the statements before the game, regarding behaviour in our stadium, if they are not acted upon when someone transgresses...it leaves one with the feeling that the club doesn't really care!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Ant76 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Foggy wrote:

They may have done Timb, but the behaviour mentioned in the second paragraph of Ant76's post should have been enough to have him ejected from the stadium...especially after it was brought to the attention of a steward.

What is the point of reading out the statements before the game, regarding behaviour in our stadium, if they are not acted upon when someone transgresses...it leaves one with the feeling that the club doesn't really care!

Quite agree.

But more than this: Had I known that it was the club’s policy to put away fans on a dinner ticket in that stand, I wouldn’t have purchased tickets there.

Surely it makes more sense for them to be put in with the other away fans once they’ve tucked their pudding away?
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:49 pm

there is a thread on here 'condemning discrimination .

most people would agree with that .

why is discriminating against away supporters/segregation and without being too dramatic-simply apartheid - any different and according to some should be 'excluded' from being discrimination ?

are we not all equal members of the human race whether we follow forest green rovers or plymouth ?

that given -where it is alleged that one member of the human race who was sat in the stand made derogatory remarks against someone else -i would agree that is a disgrace and they should be locked away for 5 years ;and the poster who makes the point about pre-match announcements and then unfortunately not enforcing them accordingly is absolutely correct
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi
The main site says:
Whether you’re in the home or away stand, you’ll get our award-winning vegan food and drink. If you’re a home fan, you can also book a VIP table at our Carol Embrey suite, which includes a superb buffet and table service from our awesome team.

How did away fans manage to book VIPs, doesn't their address tell the booking office where they live.
Perhaps they booked via one of the 2 Glos locals who are Argyle supporters who were mentioned in the forecast thread
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ant76 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:19 pm

michael wrote:there is a thread on here 'condemning discrimination .

most people would agree with that .

why is discriminating against away supporters/segregation and without being too dramatic-simply apartheid - any different and according to some should be 'excluded' from being discrimination ?

are we not all equal members of the human race whether we follow forest green rovers or plymouth ?

that given -where it is alleged that one member of the human race who was sat in the stand made derogatory remarks against someone else -i would agree that is a disgrace and they should be locked away for 5 years ;and the poster who makes the point about pre-match announcements and then unfortunately not enforcing them accordingly is absolutely correct

Segregation = apartheid? Crazy. Putting rival fans in different areas of the stadium is common sense. Emotions run high in football. It’s only discrimination if one party is treated poorly!

I grew up going to the East Midlands derby between Derby and Forest. Without segregation, people would have died. I’m not joking... people, probably many people, would have died.
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cornishman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm

I completely agree that the supporter who made discriminatory remarks against those with different learning needs, wherever he comes from, should have faced the full rigour of the club's anti-discrimination policy. However, the rest of the complaint strikes me as snowflake nonsense. It epitomises the reasons why Rovers repeatedly fail at home against visitors who bring a decent level of support. We are too damn bourgeois by half. SHOUT !!!

Why the home supporter's sons would be intimidated by the presence of seated Plymouth fans, goodness knows. I blame their helicopter father for over-sheltering them from reality. Having lived in many parts of the UK, I have supported several clubs, because I love the game and the banter, enthusiasm and camaraderie ensuing from it. FGR is the first professional club at which I have encountered a group among the supporters who scowl at anybody who gets emotionally engaged with what is happening on the pitch !

This is a shame: I applaud all the wonderful principles of environmental sustainability and related ideological priorities which make FGR unique. If I want silence or reverential applause, however, I would avoid football, which provides a safe outlet for the impulses to tribal war that the game symbolises. Just because some of us are lefty green vegan hippies doesn't mean we don't want to get behind the lads and help them to win.

What makes the complainant all the more fatuous is his recourse to proprietary justifications for excluding Plymouth fans. He waves his money around like some kind of virility substitute ! I am sick of the workers' game being colonised by class enemies, frankly. Moreover, where does this leave the true Corinthian neutral who loves the game ? Should I be excluded from the home area, for example, for applauding Saracevic's winning goal today on the grounds that it was a well-struck shot, despite my personal preference for FGR ? Oh, well played, sir ! Jolly good kick, eh what ? Ra ra ra.

On a different note, I have often been critical of Mark Cooper, but today I want to praise him. His response to an inconsistent ref looking for FA brownie points by blatantly favouring the bigger visiting club; and to a visiting team lying down all over the pitch for some 11 minutes feigning injury, was utterly professional. That's what teams do when one up away from home and we have been known to do it ourselves. No wonder it made him swear. The antics around his interview with BBC Radio Cheltenham Fanzone were bloody hilarious and so much more exciting than the usual anodyne bumbling of Dear Old Bob. We pay licence fees for this nepotistic rubbish ! Swear more often ! Then I might find myself swearing at the radio less !

At least Coops is a winner ! Onwards and upwards ! COYR !
cornishman
Youth
Youth

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Playing against proper football clubs who carry proper support. FGR are still tin pot in support and match day operations. Some of the storys ive heard tonight about South stand ejections cracks me up :lol:
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ant76 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 am

Phil_mitchell wrote:Playing against proper football clubs who carry proper support. FGR are still tin pot in support and match day operations. Some of the storys ive heard tonight about South stand ejections cracks me up :lol:

I’m not against “tin-pot”, per se. The local (yes, non-league!) attitude of this club is one of the reasons we’ve got on board. It feels like a local club, it feels like a family. We love that, and we’ve been made to feel so welcome. It feels as though we’ve found our home, as a family. No amount of belittling from Cornishman will change that. He doesn’t know our circumstances, and he went on the attack. Fine. Every club has those people; I’ve tried to engage on a PM but he’s not yet responded. I’m not bothered whether he does or not... although, looking back at his profile, he seems like a genuine supporter, which is our aim. It would be easy to be put off by his comments, but thankfully I have a pretty thick skin,

All I’m saying is this: if I book home supporter tickets for me and my boys, I have the right to expect that we’ll be in a home-supporting section of the crowd. That’s all. Today, that wasn’t the case.

My eldest loves football, he plays, I coach his team. He was fine.

My youngest is a complicated little character. I’m not sure he’s massively into football, but he wants to come to games with me and his brother because he wants to do stuff with us. He’s a sensitive soul... and I won’t go into detail but coming to the match is a big deal for him; it’s outside his comfort zone. Today, he was freaked out by being surrounded by Plymouth fans. I felt bad for him; if that makes me a snowflake, a helicopter, or an over-protective parent, well, ok. I’ll live with that. I’m not middle-class, as Cornishman asserts. I have no degree, I’m a full-time musician working in folk music, so rich I ain’t. Buying tickets for three of us (albeit my youngest goes free, or very cheap) is a big outlay for me. But I do it, because a) it’s daddy and son time; and b) I really, really want my lads to get on board with this club. But my mention of money isn’t about dick-swinging, as Cornishman suggests. I’m passionate about this club, but I reserve the right to protest if something’s not quite right. Today, it wasn’t quite right. That’s all.
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:47 am

cornishman wrote:I completely agree that the supporter who made discriminatory remarks against those with different learning needs, wherever he comes from, should have faced the full rigour of the club's anti-discrimination policy. However, the rest of the complaint strikes me as snowflake nonsense. It epitomises the reasons why Rovers repeatedly fail at home against visitors who bring a decent level of support. We are too damn bourgeois by half. SHOUT !!!

Why the home supporter's sons would be intimidated by the presence of seated Plymouth fans, goodness knows. I blame their helicopter father for over-sheltering them from reality.

Out of order!

Here you have a parent who has tried to do the right thing, to call out bad behaviour and set an example to his kids about what is acceptable and what isn't...if you want to have a go at someone then it should be someone from the club who has let him, and his family down, not this person. We can be proud as a club that we have created an environment where all can attend and be fairly certain that they won't face any kind of threat, we shout loudly about this as it is as important as our green credentials, yet when it has been put to the test it has failed.

A lot of the current rubbish that is going on in society is caused by people who walk past, rather than step in and try to stop, yet here we have someone who has tried and he has been pilloried...does that make him likely to want to do the same thing again?
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 am

Cornishman is quite open in his dislike of children in the stands. I wouldn’t take it personally, despite the personal way in which it was directed.

I hope you keep bringing your kids and are not put off by either the placement of away fans or the views of some intolerant home fans. Children are the future fans of the club, and the ones who will sustain it when CM is only capable of dribbling.

Yesterday was unusual in that the West Stand was sold out, so pockets of away fans will have inevitably tried to find their way to getting tickets elsewhere. I don’t see it happening very often but stewards should definitely be sorting it out when it results in bad behaviour.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Ant76 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:06 am

Foggy wrote:
cornishman wrote:I completely agree that the supporter who made discriminatory remarks against those with different learning needs, wherever he comes from, should have faced the full rigour of the club's anti-discrimination policy. However, the rest of the complaint strikes me as snowflake nonsense. It epitomises the reasons why Rovers repeatedly fail at home against visitors who bring a decent level of support. We are too damn bourgeois by half. SHOUT !!!

Why the home supporter's sons would be intimidated by the presence of seated Plymouth fans, goodness knows. I blame their helicopter father for over-sheltering them from reality.

Out of order!

Here you have a parent who has tried to do the right thing, to call out bad behaviour and set an example to his kids about what is acceptable and what isn't...if you want to have a go at someone then it should be someone from the club who has let him, and his family down, not this person. We can be proud as a club that we have created an environment where all can attend and be fairly certain that they won't face any kind of threat, we shout loudly about this as it is as important as our green credentials, yet when it has been put to the test it has failed.

A lot of the current rubbish that is going on in society is caused by people who walk past, rather than step in and try to stop, yet here we have someone who has tried and he has been pilloried...does that make him likely to want to do the same thing again?

Thank you. I've been contacted by the club and it's in hand. It'll take more that Cornishman to put us off coming!
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Ant76 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 am

TreeHugger wrote:Cornishman is quite open in his dislike of children in the stands. I wouldn’t take it personally, despite the personal way in which it was directed.

I hope you keep bringing your kids and are not put off by either the placement of away fans or the views of some intolerant home fans. Children are the future fans of the club, and the ones who will sustain it when CM is only capable of dribbling.

Yesterday was unusual in that the West Stand was sold out, so pockets of away fans will have inevitably tried to find their way to getting tickets elsewhere. I don’t see it happening very often but stewards should definitely be sorting it out when it results in bad behaviour.

Thanks Tree Hugger. It won't put us off, I think we're fans for life! The club have been in touch so I hope it's in hand.
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Swindon at home should be fun too, I predict another hospitality sell out.

And with Swindon up there now we will need all the support we can get on 21 December including you and your family Ant. The more vocal our support gets the better.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ant76 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Timb wrote:Swindon at home should be fun too, I predict another hospitality sell out.

And with Swindon up there now we will need all the support we can get on 21 December including you and your family Ant. The more vocal our support gets the better.

Oh, we’ll be there!
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Good. Craic on...
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:02 pm

You don't expect to find away fans sitting & noisily supporting their team amongst home supporters, that's just asking for trouble.
So I agree with Ant even if he is/was a derby fan :D
TreeinWillsbridge
Youth
Youth

Next

Return to FGR First Team