Match thread from The New Lawn (Port Vale).

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Port Vale).

Postby gooseman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:43 pm

There have been numerous low points in my union with FGR. The " Lewer " time was utter dross. The game against Leigh RMI has to be the worst I have ever seen involving FGR. The game against Grays was not far behind, especially when the manager failed to read the situation.
The current situation is like a hangover that never seems to go away. To be brutally honest I don't really care anymore. The best way to describe it is by an example. It was an evening kick off against Aldershot and a call came out that the pitch needed forking due to frost. A small army of supporters with pitchforks in hand arrived to assist. By sheer hard work we got the game on, were personally thanked by Colin Gardener and the team won 3 - 0. I felt that I had helped. If the same was to happen now, I certainly wouldn't bother. I have no affinity towards the club, which I once had in my 25 years of support. I having nothing but contempt for the current management team of MC and MM who's actions after the Carlisle match showed utter arrogance towards the supporters.
The current regime under DV is also an issue for me. I always thought FGR had a "broad church" of supporters. Regardless of political views, the number one issue for supporters was the club and team. It seems the club has been "politized". This alienates current and potential new supporters.
As for individual facts. I will no longer buy a season ticket. To be honest it's too much of a tie. As I've got older, FGR doesn't hold the same "gravity" as it used to.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Feel exactly the same way Gooseman. Sadly many supporters feel the same and club doesn’t seem bothered to change it. When the bubble bursts and these short term supporters drift away, there will no longer be the long term supporters there and FGR won’t exist.
Last edited by 20yrs and counting on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm

My observation OTC was that Ebou was the one being physically sick not Odin and he received long and warm applause from the Vale fans when he got to his feet.
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:10 pm

gooseman wrote:There have been numerous low points in my union with FGR. The " Lewer " time was utter dross. The game against Leigh RMI has to be the worst I have ever seen involving FGR. The game against Grays was not far behind, especially when the manager failed to read the situation.
The current situation is like a hangover that never seems to go away. To be brutally honest I don't really care anymore. The best way to describe it is by an example. It was an evening kick off against Aldershot and a call came out that the pitch needed forking due to frost. A small army of supporters with pitchforks in hand arrived to assist. By sheer hard work we got the game on, were personally thanked by Colin Gardener and the team won 3 - 0. I felt that I had helped. If the same was to happen now, I certainly wouldn't bother. I have no affinity towards the club, which I once had in my 25 years of support. I having nothing but contempt for the current management team of MC and MM who's actions after the Carlisle match showed utter arrogance towards the supporters.
The current regime under DV is also an issue for me. I always thought FGR had a "broad church" of supporters. Regardless of political views, the number one issue for supporters was the club and team. It seems the club has been "politized". This alienates current and potential new supporters.
As for individual facts. I will no longer buy a season ticket. To be honest it's too much of a tie. As I've got older, FGR doesn't hold the same "gravity" as it used to.

After 25 years I’m saddened to read that you will not be renewing ST.
But in so many ways it is understandable – the club has considerably changed in the past few years and not always for the better.
I’ve tried to think back to time when attitudes altered and seem to think it was after Joycie left club.
He was undoubtedly a hard working legend but something obviously happened in the background that we don’t know about.
The club may have good reason to release him but it has left a bad taste and the catalyst of subsequent waves of disaffection.

Since then there has been errors by both club and supporters.
The club have been heavy handed in their treatment of a few fans while a few fans have been using social media to peddle misinformation. [Employing an ill disciplined security guy & exaggeration of fans banned]

I’ll agree and accept that TNL is not as happy and friendly place as it was just a few years ago.
Of late I’m even more depressed because of the run of games lost.
But I will buck up once we start winning, as I’m sure we will.

I didn’t see MM apparently clapping the fans but from feedback it has done him and club immeasurable harm.
I’m pretty sure in time MM will become an excellent first team coach but at moment he is lacking experience in that job and gets too wound up when things go wrong.
FGR biggest loss this season was Scott L. The club should be looking around for another 1st team coach who has a similar laid back approach as did Scott. The winning combination of MC & SL worked well and one we would all like recreated.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
gooseman wrote:There have been numerous low points in my union with FGR. The " Lewer " time was utter dross. The game against Leigh RMI has to be the worst I have ever seen involving FGR. The game against Grays was not far behind, especially when the manager failed to read the situation.

After 25 years I’m saddened to read that you will not be renewing ST.
But in so many ways it is understandable – the club has considerably changed in the past few years and not always for the better.
I’ve tried to think back to time when attitudes altered and seem to think it was after Joycie left club.
He was undoubtedly a hard working legend but something obviously happened in the background that we don’t know about.
The club may have good reason to release him but it has left a bad taste and the catalyst of subsequent waves of disaffection.

Since then there has been errors by both club and supporters.
The club have been heavy handed in their treatment of a few fans while a few fans have been using social media to peddle misinformation. [Employing an ill disciplined security guy & exaggeration of fans banned]

I’ll agree and accept that TNL is not as happy and friendly place as it was just a few years ago.
Of late I’m even more depressed because of the run of games lost.
But I will buck up once we start winning, as I’m sure we will.

I didn’t see MM apparently clapping the fans but from feedback it has done him and club immeasurable harm.
I’m pretty sure in time MM will become an excellent first team coach but at moment he is lacking experience in that job and gets too wound up when things go wrong.
FGR biggest loss this season was Scott L. The club should be looking around for another 1st team coach who has a similar laid back approach as did Scott. The winning combination of MC & SL worked well and one we would all like recreated.

I must say that this sentiment reads as well thought and balanced and agrees with what my friends and family have told me, certainly. A unifying comment to a degree recognising the desire everyone has to support the team and the frustrations of the way things are in the management and governance which are a red line for some.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby mauler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 pm

Replacing the cosy bars with the gym bar which is basically green man like in terms of atmosphere is systematic of some of this.

Probably not as bad as it seems though...few hard miles to get an upturn in form.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby Lady Magpie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:33 pm

You can't serve prawn sandwiches at a vegan football club.

50 years supporting and watching matches, you have ups and down periods, but you don't through the toys out of the pram which is what I see many supporters doing today. You just continue supporting the team, Mangers and the club as a whole.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Probably about time the 2 DV’s, Henry and rest of the team took long standing supporters concerns seriously. All very well having fans forums but many do not want to air their concerns in such a public way. I’m sure even those considering no longer going want positive things out of our grievances.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby twinkletoes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 pm

I dont think the club should underestimate the feelings of the fans who have been supporting for many seasons, the atmosphere at the ground is pretty toxic at present, anti Dale and certainly anti Cooper and Matt Mills who has obviously been brainwashed by his boss to lower himself to sarcastically clap the South Stand. I have supported the club for past 22 years home AND away, driving up to Carlisle and other far distant destinations but will not be renewing my season ticket. This is no reflection on the players but a reaction to the arrogance and ignorance of the manager and his stooge.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 am

Lady Magpie wrote:You can't serve prawn sandwiches at a vegan football club.

50 years supporting and watching matches, you have ups and down periods, but you don't through the toys out of the pram which is what I see many supporters doing today. You just continue supporting the team, Mangers and the club as a whole.

LM

I sense this situation is different. The fan reaction is not about the form which is so bad, it instead transcends this and is about a full break down in respect and patience with the ownership and management. Yes support the players through up and down, but that doesn’t mean off the pitch events can not reach a point intolerable. Even if the form returns to ways winning I do not think many of those fans who have felt disillusioned and divorced my the Club owner, CEO and manager will ever return. The elastic which binds supporter and club has been severed permanently in some cases.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 am

Tbf to Cooper, the way large chunks of the fanbase treated his son was pretty disgraceful. Would you ever be able to truly forgive and rebuild a relationship with a group of people who repeatedly verbally abused your child for just doing their job?

Not saying this is the sole cause of the fractured relationships in the club of course, it would be stupid to suggest as much. But we seem to be talking on and on about how Coopers done this and Vince has done that and there’s been next to no discussion about what we as a fanbase have done in the past that didn’t help the situation and how we can learn from it. I’ll admit myself I crossed the line once on here and called for both Coopers to get out of the club, it was the game where Charlie got sent off for a stupid violent challenge and Mark then got sent off for angrily protesting the decision, we lost the game and we’re deep in the relegation mire at the time, and my temper boiled over. I should’ve taken a step back and waited before commenting, and it was wrong. But when the fans are turning on Logan the same way they turned on Collins and Cooper that season, I don’t think any lessons have been learned. A nasty atmosphere is being created at games and it’s not just because Coopers said this or Vince has done that, it’s partly because there’s an awful lot of “supporters” at this club who have very very fickle support for our players when the going gets tough.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but realistically as a fanbase we can’t directly effect Vince’s choices, or Cooper’s post match interviews. But we can work to create a positive atmosphere at games and actually support our players. If we do everything we can to create a good vibe around the games, and give the players the confidence boost they so obviously need, and Cooper still makes a pigs ear of it then we at least have ample reason to complain then. But honestly right now it feels like every aspect of this club is failing to pull its weight, including the fans at times, so let’s do something about it.
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:55 am

Absolute rubbish in my opinion, that post

The majority of club's fans would be far worse than ours, considering Cooper's behaviour!!

To say we are anyway to blame is a total joke!!
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Please don't bring up Charlie Cooper he was a nice lad playing football above the standard he was capable of and I am so glad he is doing ok at Halifax .He was put in an invidious position by his father who should have thought more carefully before bringing him to FGR where he would be under the microscope. If this still rancour's with Mark he should move on we have.

Yes of course the fans need to back the team but it is the primary duty of the management team to coach motivate and instil confidence in the players which they are lamentably failing to do most of the time. Hence questions must be asked as to their ability to do the job..
Bill Shankly
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Silver Surfer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 pm

A mature and balanced post by DD. It echoes my feelings. FGR are painful to watch at the moment, but I will be there at every home game and will be renewing my season ticket next season.

Can Mark Cooper turn things around? Like many on here I have my doubts. However he has a proven track record of success. He is FGR's most successful manager by a long way, and I think he ought to be given until the end of the season. We aren't (fingers crossed), going to be relegated. We aren't going up, so let's see what MC can sort out. Some practising of passing and free kicks would be a good start.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Bill Shankly wrote:Please don't bring up Charlie Cooper he was a nice lad playing football above the standard he was capable of and I am so glad he is doing ok at Halifax .He was put in an invidious position by his father who should have thought more carefully before bringing him to FGR where he would be under the microscope. If this still rancour's with Mark he should move on we have.

Yes of course the fans need to back the team but it is the primary duty of the management team to coach motivate and instil confidence in the players which they are lamentably failing to do most of the time. Hence questions must be asked as to their ability to do the job..

It was absolutely discusting the treatment of C. Cooper!!

It was Cooper Senior who treated him that way!! As the above post states; to put a young footballer in the position Cooper did says a lot about him as a person!!
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 pm

for all the hundred or so people (like myself ) who are taken to venting their spleen on a forum , are there about 1400 people who don't give two hoots about all of this 'internal/us and them ' stuff ,and simply come along when they feel like it to enjoy a football match,hoping that fgr will win ?

are us keyboard 'warriors 'a bit too precious about our own 'self importance /influence ?

the club surely also needs to cater for the 1400 silent majority,and not just the 100 noisy minority on a forum
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:45 pm

michael wrote:for all the hundred or so people (like myself ) who are taken to venting their spleen on a forum , are there about 1400 people who don't give two hoots about all of this 'internal/us and them ' stuff ,and simply come along when they feel like it to enjoy a football match,hoping that fgr will win ?

are us keyboard 'warriors 'a bit too precious about our own 'self importance /influence ?

the club surely also needs to cater for the 1400 silent majority,and not just the 100 noisy minority on a forum

Extremely niave!! Yeah I'm sure 1400 are loving things at the moment! Our hardcore is about 1400, they care about the club, believe me!!

Is a lot more than 100 that are very unhappy at the moment!!
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:A mature and balanced post by DD. It echoes my feelings. FGR are painful to watch at the moment, but I will be there at every home game and will be renewing my season ticket next season.

Can Mark Cooper turn things around? Like many on here I have my doubts. However he has a proven track record of success. He is FGR's most successful manager by a long way, and I think he ought to be given until the end of the season. We aren't (fingers crossed), going to be relegated. We aren't going up, so let's see what MC can sort out. Some practising of passing and free kicks would be a good start.

Decent post that.

Would disagree on Cooper's success though. I would say Frank Gregan is FGR's most successful manager by a long way.
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:58 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Absolute rubbish in my opinion, that post

The majority of club's fans would be far worse than ours, considering Cooper's behaviour!!

I agree it is rubbish. Fans are not going to support Logan for two reasons: 1) he was an emblem of Cooper’s mistreatment of our own players and poor decision making as Logan was brought in so our well performing popular keeper could be shown the door. 2) he is now the emblem of Cooper’s stubbornness and arrogance as he is clearly not up to the task but Cooper will not admit he was wrong and do the right thing. If fans are positive to Logan it is by extension supporting Cooper’s poor decision and stubbornness.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:Absolute rubbish in my opinion, that post

I agree it is rubbish. Fans are not going to support Logan for two reasons: 1) he was an emblem of Cooper’s mistreatment of our own players and poor decision making as Logan was brought in so our well performing popular keeper could be shown the door. 2) he is now the emblem of Cooper’s stubbornness and arrogance as he is clearly not up to the task but Cooper will not admit he was wrong and do the right thing. If fans are positive to Logan it is by extension supporting Cooper’s poor decision and stubbornness.

You do realise that going into January a number of fans, including people on here (if you want evidence) were calling for us to bring in an experienced keeper? Which is what the club has done. So everything you just said is nonsense and typical of the fickleness/hypocrisy you get from some on here. If we hadn't signed a keeper people would be moaning that we should have. As for popular keeper being dropped, which one do you mean? Smith was the one playing before Logan arrived, and he'd come into the team after both Thomas and Wollacott had made howlers and many were calling for a change. And then after a while Smith was getting criticised too.

The reason people are having a go at Logan is because he's an easy target, what with us conceding a lot of goals (very few his fault) and also his appearance, which is unfair as not every footballer has the same body shape, but like Steve Perrin and Jon Parkin can still be good. Logan is also a very decent bloke by all accounts, so why should he deserve stick on behalf of Cooper?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team