What is happening

All about our First Team

Re: What is happening

Postby Kentstripe » Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
In the past few years FGR have had some foreign nationals play for our club but so few that I doubt if enough to make a full team of eleven.
Players born in the home countries of the UK would not come into that 'foreign national' category.

[Can someone remember all our foreign players?
A few immediately slip to mind are:
Dom Bernard [Eire}
Vaughn Covil [USA]
Omar Bugiel [?]
Keanu March-Brown [South America?]
Robert Sanchez [Spain]
Traore Drisse [France]

Omar Bugiel is German-Lebanese, and KMB plays international football for Guyana I think. Along with Drissa Traore, we also signed 3 other French players during 16/17, Simon Lefebrve, Mo Chemlal and Fabien Robert.

We've had a few others as well. Al Bangura (Sierra Leone), Clovis Kamdjo (Cameroon) and Magno Vieira (Brazil) spring to mind.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am

i am not sure what your qualification measure is for 'last few years' ,but Bruno Teixera (forgive spelling ) is one i remember from about ten years ago
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 am

Kentstripe wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
In the past few years FGR have had some foreign nationals play for our club but so few that I doubt if enough to make a full team of eleven.
Players born in the home countries of the UK would not come into that 'foreign national' category.

Dom Bernard [Eire}
Vaughn Covil [USA]
Omar Bugiel [?]
Robert Sanchez [Spain]
Traore Drisse [France]

Omar Bugiel is German-Lebanese, and KMB plays international football for Guyana I think. Along with Drissa Traore, we also signed 3 other French players during 16/17, Simon Lefebrve, Mo Chemlal and Fabien Robert.

We've had a few others as well. Al Bangura (Sierra Leone), Clovis Kamdjo (Cameroon) and Magno Vieira (Brazil) spring to mind.

I had neglected our foreign players in the non-league.
I remember well when nearly half the dressing room were French. :roll:

But it now begs the question, how many have played for their country and how many played for their country while a FGR player.
Keanu is the biggest name on the list but gained his cap after leaving FGR.
Omar was called up to join the national squad a few times but I don't think he was capped while with us.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu May 21, 2020 11:01 am

Reece Styche was capped.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:Reece Styche was capped.

Thanks to his Gibraltan Nan

Guy Madjo flattered to deceive, but was excited when he did sign - Cameroon. Some fans flew a Cameroon flag the first match after his signing. Also from same country Manny Monthe - surprise you forgot him OTC

Abdull Sall - Senegal, I loved his attitude
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu May 21, 2020 1:49 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

Dom Bernard [Eire}
Vaughn Covil [USA]
Omar Bugiel [?]
Robert Sanchez [Spain]
Traore Drisse [France]

I had neglected our foreign players in the non-league.
I remember well when nearly half the dressing room were French. :roll:

But it now begs the question, how many have played for their country and how many played for their country while a FGR player.
Keanu is the biggest name on the list but gained his cap after leaving FGR.
Omar was called up to join the national squad a few times but I don't think he was capped while with us.

Ebou Adams was called up by Gambia earlier last season, not sure if he actually got on the pitch though?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
Too occasional fan wrote:Reece Styche was capped.

Thanks to his Gibraltan Nan

Guy Madjo flattered to deceive, but was excited when he did sign - Cameroon. Some fans flew a Cameroon flag the first match after his signing. Also from same country Manny Monthe - surprise you forgot him OTC

Abdull Sall - Senegal, I loved his attitude

I had forgotten he played 1/2 a season for us after promotion.
I had it in my mind he left after Wembley.
Three promotion final play-off matches in three years is a terrific record for the guy.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 pm

Kevin Dawson - Ireland
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri May 22, 2020 1:26 am

cookiemonster wrote:For what it's worth, I'm a season ticket holder and don't expect and wouldn't ask for a refund.

I won't be claiming any refunds and it seems the same with our friends in Cheltenhamshire EXCEPT:

"I won't request a refund either but would appreciate if I could be given access to the play off streams free of charge.

I also want money back from Forest Green for my ticket."
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am

Interesting item this morning on the BBC website about the challenges facing football, looks like there is another meeting today and they will be providing live updates:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680375

Lots of interesting questions, relating to the likes of salary caps, squad size and the likelihood of fans being allowed back to watch games. I'm not sure that we will have too many answers today, probably more questions, but you never know.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Pitchfork » Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 am

Insightful article; thanks Foggy.

The chasm between Premier League wages & the plight of lower league clubs has never been clearer, but the top clubs still rely so much on TV income, gate receipts & sponsorship all of which could dry up.

Great to see Harry Kane putting money into Orient & some clubs being creative & forward thinking in generating money. I'm impressed by almost 1000 Port Vale fans buying 20-21 season tickets.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 am

Doidge.

EDIT - missed the bit about home nations, sorry.
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Well PF maybe a few hundred would buy a new season ticket here if we could ??!!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 pm

IS IT TIME ?

Is it time that the clubs official website was kick started ?

completly understandable and right that it was shut down and effectively a news blackout for a couple of months -hard to give reports on nothing ,and/or when the priority of the world was to save lives

But there is now movement -lockdown easing/ending .
football's coming back-albeit not at EFL2 for a while - but there is a bit of player movement going on,and i am sure the pitch has had some tlc .
If nothing else-in early July -there is a good chance that the club will be able to serve a few socially distanced quorn pies outside the green man if it wanted to .

i wonder what-if anything is happening re kit design for next season for example

to use the current cliche - the direction of travel is positive .

should the club play its part and now bring the official website out of hibernation ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team