FGR v Bury

All about our First Team

FGR v Bury

Postby Shaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Some nice words from Vince Dale separating Bolton fans from their chairman. Can I ask two questions though.
1 Where are you putting any Bolton fans who do go to the match. No love lost between both sets of fans, especially from Bury to Bolton. We get low crowds at Gigg, but a good away following. However, we also get a fair amount of idiots who go away and mixing them with Bolton is not a good idea.
2. Why the love in with Bolton? T shirts and stuff. I think what's happening at Bolton has happened at plenty of clubs, some now in non league as a result, like Stockport Chester Darlo Wrexham, so why Bolton.
Both questions not having a go at FGR, just wondering.
Shaker
Trainee
Trainee

Re: FGR v Bury

Postby Greeners » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi
Surely not a "love in" more of a "hate in" so far as the club is concerned, Fans of all clubs with problematic finances deserve support.

I'm fairly sure that any Bolton fans who turn up to support Doidge will be accommodated with the home fans, I would think that someone official will confirm this.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:45 pm

In answer to the second question Shaker, see the Doidge thread. We loaned him to Bolton with a contract for them to buy him permanently in January. Doidge settles into their team, bought s house up your way etc. Then the Bolton Chairman reneged on the deal or EFL prevented him completing it because Bolton are in dire financial straits (or both, depending on who you believe). We love Doidge but his life has become difficult and we will give him loads of support to help him through this.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Shaker I could t agree more with you.
Why would they wanna travel all this way to watch us and In front of Bury fans basically embarrass themselves because the clubs a mess.

Also the Bolton love in gone over my head. We got Doidge back let's move on think of football and promotion. Bolton have to sort themselves none of our business. Also lets get it straight it's not like Doidge went there and was a legend he played handful of games scored one goal. Let's all move on
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Yes, the answer to question no.2 is clear from the Doidge threads. The free beer and t-shirts is a nice gesture but like some others I worry it will become a bit of a circus.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:22 pm

cookiemonster wrote:Yes, the answer to question no.2 is clear from the Doidge threads. The free beer and t-shirts is a nice gesture but like some others I worry it will become a bit of a circus.

I get the beer thing, but the t-shirt thing is a bit cringeworthy. I guess it's good publicity but the choice of opponent should have been researched better.
Good kick Joe
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Agree the beer thing fair play. The shirt thing no.
Dale got his statement spot on to be fair to him. I hope the response will not go *** for tat and he can rise above it.
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Head Honcho » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Time to rise above it and let the lawyers and the EFL sort out the contract nonsense. Don't want to give Bury any more motivation than they already have to get a result against promotion rivals.

Best response is always 3 points from the next game.
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Shaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks for your replies. Still don't understand the love in, and I don't think any Bolton will go except maybe Gloucestershire exiles. Looking forward to a great game. I hope it's the Bury of 2nd half Accy away which turns up, not the Bury of Mansfield away. :)
Shaker
Trainee
Trainee

Postby mauler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 am

Bury are sure to get a very fond reception from some of us lancs lads in exile. Having now lived much longer in the south west i'm in the home end but full of good wishes for the shakers.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am

mauler wrote:Bury are sure to get a very fond reception from some of us lancs lads in exile. Having now lived much longer in the south west i'm in the home end but full of good wishes for the shakers.

Totally endorse that mauler. Bury were my team up until the early 1990's-over 30 years supporting the Shakers at Gigg Lane and grounds around the country.There were lots of highlights, but as with FGR, many seasons of struggle. I enjoyed a memorable trip back north for our away match and was well treated by Bury. My father was allowed on the pitch where he played as a young man, I ventured to the 'Cemetery End' where I chanted as a teenager and chatted to Chris Stokes in the midst of his pre-match physio'.

In one of may last seasons watching Bury I was christened 'Pitchfork', a name I have have kept during my FGR days. It's quite a long story that I've related for the match day programme.

I too wish the Shakers all the best: I'm sure both clubs will be in the mix for promotion at the end of the season. I have a sneaking feeling we will meet in the play offs.

I'm sure the match will be a close encounter and hope the Bury and Bolton fans forget their long standing rivalry. Shakers' fans need to show empathy for the plight of their near neighbour, after all Bury have had their share of financial woes in the last few decades.

There's only one team I will be supporting - COYR
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Shaker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am

Hi Pitchfork. Agree with you regarding our financial woes. They are still there. Very much so. Can I guess why the name pitchfork. Anything to do with Reading away abandoned after half an hour when we were 2 up. A downpour causing a waterlogged pitch and their groundstaff came out with just the one pitchfork.
Shaker
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 am

Shaker wrote:Hi Pitchfork. Agree with you regarding our financial woes. They are still there. Very much so. Can I guess why the name pitchfork. Anything to do with Reading away abandoned after half an hour when we were 2 up. A downpour causing a waterlogged pitch and their groundstaff came out with just the one pitchfork.

Blimey Shaker, you got that in one, I'm impressed that anyone can remember that, were you there? Everyone was outraged at the time...I will never forget Phil Stant's reaction - he said he hadn't been so annoyed since he was fighting in the Falklands!

At the replay two of the Bury players, Phil Stant and Gary Kelly emerged from the tunnel carrying pitchforks. No Health and Safety then!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Shaker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Yes I was there. Long drive down, a longer drive back.
Shaker
Trainee
Trainee

Postby FGR_Media » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Shaker wrote:Some nice words from Vince Dale separating Bolton fans from their chairman. Can I ask two questions though.
1 Where are you putting any Bolton fans who do go to the match. No love lost between both sets of fans, especially from Bury to Bolton. We get low crowds at Gigg, but a good away following. However, we also get a fair amount of idiots who go away and mixing them with Bolton is not a good idea.
2. Why the love in with Bolton? T shirts and stuff. I think what's happening at Bolton has happened at plenty of clubs, some now in non league as a result, like Stockport Chester Darlo Wrexham, so why Bolton.
Both questions not having a go at FGR, just wondering.

Hi Shaker,

Thought it would be good to answer this one from the club's point of view to not only address your questions but those of others on the forum.

1. The Bolton fans will be housed in the home ends of the stadium and rather than put them in one block or area, we are letting them spread themselves out around the three home stands to reduce risk. We will be working closely with the police and our safety team to ensure there are no issues on the day. We stress, this is a day of unity and Bolton fans are not travelling down because our game is with Bury, just that it happens to be the next home game. We ask for Bury fans to respect this and create a positive environment at the match. We will be putting out media along these lines, along with Bury, at the start of next week.

2. The 'love in' as described has come as a surprise. We were not anticipating the reaction from Bolton fans to our chairman's statement on the fall through of Christian Doidge's deal. However, having been inundated with messages on both social media and by email, it is clear that Bolton fans have reached breaking point and were delighted to see another chairman speak out on this, rather than just keeping quiet and letting the whole saga continue. Many of them were saying they wanted to come and show their support of him speaking out at our next home game (this explains why it is Bury, it was just our next game) and also give their thanks to Christian Doidge, who has been caught up in the middle of this whole mess. As a result of the comments, Dale mentioned in his follow-up media interviews that he would like to make a gesture to those fans making the trip of a free pint. We have followed through on this and will be offering any Bolton fans making the trip a pint (alcoholic/soft) at the match with the details being ironed out behind the scenes.

The t-shirts, which have been mentioned by other posters, have kind of become our thing this season, with us doing something similar when our deal with Hummel went south. They were a bit of fun and have actually proved incredibly popular, selling out in the first day and we've now sold over 200, with people buying them from places like Mexico, New Zealand and Finland. It is one of our best sellers of the season and is another show of solidarity, with all money (which is going to be several hundred pounds) going to the Bolton Wanderers Supporters' Trust, not just words.

Finally, rest assured that this is not a distraction from the football, which is always the main priority. Both the playing staff and Christian Doidge have been kept away from this whole thing and Mark and his coaching staff are fully focussed on Saturday's trip to Oldham. We hope to have a great following this Saturday as we look to continue our superb form from December and then have a big, vociferous crowd at The New Lawn for the game with Bury, with a few new friends among us. We're also looking into fixing the drum, something we were only made aware of this week, to really get the crowd going.
FGR_Media
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Leave the fixed drum in middle of south stand for bury game we will do the rest. ;)
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR_Media » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Leave the fixed drum in middle of south stand for bury game we will do the rest. ;)

This is the drum we refer to in our above comment. We got notified it had a hole in it earlier this week, it is being fixed by the club in time for the game with Bury.
FGR_Media
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 pm

I'm really p****d I'm going to miss the next two matches. :cry: Away games are always great but It looks like Bury is going to be a whole new experience at TNL from an atmosphere perspective :D

Hope Grimsby is a repetition :)
paulK
First Team
First Team

Postby Shaker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 am

Didn't expect a reply from FGR_Media on behalf of the club. Thank you and other clubs take note.
There is a danger that this can be blown out of proportion. There most probably will not be a sniff of trouble. I can't see many, if any, Bolton fans doing a 3 hour plus journey each way to watch a match in a lower division and to watch a player who at the end of the day, wasn't even a Bolton player. But Bolton exiles may go, and you never know, with the publicity, some may go just to cause bother.
If that is the case, then they will not wear colours, will speak the same as us from Bury, so how will the stewards know they're not Bolton. What about out of the stadium, in the pubs. I don't think there will be trouble because I don't think Bolton will be there, but may be best to have a plan just in case. Good luck at Oldham tomorrow.
Shaker
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Chrisgump11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Partisan we may be but all football supporters know the angst caused by ups and downs and are the innocent victims of rogue owners

Hope you enjoy the visit to TNL shaker as I did my first visit to Gigg Lane in August. We're a friendly lot. When the crowd size is announced and the opposition proportion, we always applaud them - have done for decades. Small thing but a sign that our values are ok

Take care
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team