Team News v Torquay (A)

All about our First Team

Re: Team News v Torquay (A)

Postby FGRgirl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:16 am

Torquay made themselves look so stupid yesterday. Like others have said i am very proud of those 10 players who gave their all yesterday, despite everything going against them and the cheating from Torquay/
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Toffeeman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:05 am

Bulldog Stripes wrote:
stroud green wrote:
jamsiep wrote:
Bulldog Stripes wrote:Hardiker needless foul inside the area

Oh suprise suprise :x

Why all the criticism for Hardiker, why no criticism for jonah for conceding the first penalty, after all his fouls have cost us quite a lot this season, for example he gave away a needless foul against Swindon and they scored from the free kick.

Did not see the Hardiker penalty incident, but no critcism of Joner as it was not a F'ing penalty. Referee got conned on more than one occasion. Burton, my man of the match, kept the score respectable. A battling Rovers performance, which a draw would have been a fair result. Lets keep the ball rolling and have a strong finish to the season and let JH work his magic in the summer, and I'm sure we can challenge at the top next season.A great turnout by FGR fans, outsang Torquay all game. Proud of you all. Where were you Helen Chamberlain...

P.S The granny steward behind the goal who said no photography or swearing caused more trouble than she prevented. Where do they get them from, she should have been at home peeling the potatoes. Just goes to show what great stewards we have at FGR

Exactly well said. Regarding the first penalty. Everybody on this forum would have been listening to Bob Hunt who said (That is now two penalties John Hardiker has given away). Regardless of who it was, the penalty should never have been given. Regardless of the result Im really proud of the ten players who managed to outplay a cheating ex football league team

For God's sake John Hardiker did not give a penalty away first one Jones second Lawless, Bob Hunt needs glasses if he hasn't already got them
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRgirl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am

Whoever gave the penalties away shouldn't have anyway, especially the first one, even if it was Hardiker he couldn't do anything about it, it was a dive.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tommo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:32 am

Toffeeman wrote:Why criticise Hardiker because of what a radio commentator said, I was there and he was solid as usual at the back, do some of you not want him to challenge people. , he has been great recently lets hope he does not read this board. The thing that really gets my back up is comments made by people who were not even at the game. Rant over well done lads despite the ref, neither was a foul and for the information of those of you who did not go it was Lawless who supposedly gave away the second penalty not Hardiker.

Ok ok. Well done for going to the game and giving us the facts but for those of us who could not the commentary was what we had to go on. Sounds like Hardiker played well again - good.

Sounds too from the reports as if we were very unlucky with the first penalty. Well done lads. Pity there wasn't anything to show for it.

Torquay sound in only moderate shape and so perhaps we will be playing them again next season. Aldershot seem well an truly a cut above the rest of the play off candidates and will presumably go up now but not sure who will go with them. No-one seems to be playing convincingly. Maybe Burton will impress us next week.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Sesh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Went to the game yesterday and was gutted with the result - but can be in no way gutted with the performance/commitment shown by the 10 players that remained after Fleetwood's moment of stupidity.
Every single one of those players gave their all and it was great to see them be cheered and applauded at the end of the game as they deserved it.

The game itself was well and truly ruined by Fleetwood in the first instance (presuming that he did show violent conduct in some shape or form), then the referee....what a joke that first penalty was!!
The only thing that i can say in Fleets' defence is that he must have been on the receiving end of some form of contact- whether it was as physical as he was deemed to have done only he and the Torquay player will know. ither way, he will have to learn from this and i'm sure Harvey will be less than impressed with him.
Now the penalty....Jonah was not even in breathing distance of Phillips before he commenced his in-stages slump to the floor. I like others thought he was going to be booked for diving and was in total disbelief that the penalty was given.

However, we battled on and held our own with 10 men - obviously Torquay had chances but the incompetence of Phillips and the brilliance of Burton kept the score down....and we were unlucky not to gain a point out of this game. The only moan that i have is the substitions we made....Celi came off at a point where we were starting to gather momentum and he was lookign really up for it - so was a bit miffed as to why he was taken off at that point?and also, as others have said, what does DCB have to do to get a game?!!

All in all, a great day out (apart from the result)

Has anyone been on the Torquay forum?!apparently it seems they were watching a different game...in fact one fan says that we were the worst team he's seen there!!
Sesh
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Toffeeman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:11 pm

Good report Sesh, typical views from ex league club fans, they think they are far superior than us.
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sesh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Just read another classic - this was posted on page 8 of their forum thread on the game: Ultimately FGR are a decent side this season, 6 points from the 2 games was the target and it was got, not just that but with 2 clean sheets. errr.....not convinced they did get six points off of us!!

Think some of these Torquay fans are on a different planet.
Sesh
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sledge » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:05 pm

It meant six points from their two Easter games (similar comment made on another forum)
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:31 pm

The thing that's bugging me is that we still don't know exactly happened between Fleetwood and the Torquay player and the club has been completely silent on the issue. Does this mean an appeal is likely and nobody wants to prejudice its outcome by commenting in advance? In other words (and as we have so many Latin scholars on this forum) it's sub judice.

I wonder if the Blue Square Round Up on Sultana on Friday will enlighten us to any extent. I suppose it depends if Torquay's equivalent of Havelock caught it on tape.

T
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bulldog Stripes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:48 pm

Toffeeman wrote:
Bulldog Stripes wrote:
stroud green wrote:
jamsiep wrote:
Bulldog Stripes wrote:Hardiker needless foul inside the area

Oh suprise suprise :x

Why all the criticism for Hardiker, why no criticism for jonah for conceding the first penalty, after all his fouls have cost us quite a lot this season, for example he gave away a needless foul against Swindon and they scored from the free kick.

Did not see the Hardiker penalty incident, but no critcism of Joner as it was not a F'ing penalty. Referee got conned on more than one occasion. Burton, my man of the match, kept the score respectable. A battling Rovers performance, which a draw would have been a fair result. Lets keep the ball rolling and have a strong finish to the season and let JH work his magic in the summer, and I'm sure we can challenge at the top next season.A great turnout by FGR fans, outsang Torquay all game. Proud of you all. Where were you Helen Chamberlain...

P.S The granny steward behind the goal who said no photography or swearing caused more trouble than she prevented. Where do they get them from, she should have been at home peeling the potatoes. Just goes to show what great stewards we have at FGR

Exactly well said. Regarding the first penalty. Everybody on this forum would have been listening to Bob Hunt who said (That is now two penalties John Hardiker has given away). Regardless of who it was, the penalty should never have been given. Regardless of the result Im really proud of the ten players who managed to outplay a cheating ex football league team

For God's sake John Hardiker did not give a penalty away first one Jones second Lawless, Bob Hunt needs glasses if he hasn't already got them

Fine, you were there, I had to make do with the radio and the Citizen. and bbc sport, I will go with your theory instead ;)
Bulldog Stripes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sledge » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Middlesbrough's Aliadiere did the same as Fleetwood, appealed, and got a four-match ban instead of three (for a 'trivial appeal' (sic)). The club had better be careful in its appeal consideration
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Toffeeman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Sledge wrote:Middlesbrough's Aliadiere did the same as Fleetwood, appealed, and got a four-match ban instead of three (for a 'trivial appeal' (sic)). The club had better be careful in its appeal consideration

If fleets has hit their lad no excuse, take the punishment and lets get on with it.
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tim13 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Toffeeman wrote:
If fleets has hit their lad no excuse, take the punishment and lets get on with it.

But did he? I have heard at least 3 different stories.

1) He did hit him (head butt?);
2) He feigned that the Torquay player hit him, in an attempt to have the Torquay sent off; or
3) He was head butted by the Torquay player (which wasn't seen by the officials) and then retaliated with a shove (which was seen by the lino).

The saga continuums.

T
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby View From The Pitch » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Ok you are close but not exactly and with a few other minor bits of info. Obviously i doubt i can say exactly what happend until the video has been viewed and FGR have decided weather to appeal or not. We would miss Fleets if he is going to be out for games.

The pitch was amazing. I feel we could have beaten them with 11 men. I also must say their fans were really quiet. I was really dissapointed with them. I can't see them going up if they play like that. El Tel played well after his rush of blood in the first half. I thought we played really well.

I was stood near the 2nd penalty and it was never a penalty the ref played on but the linesman gave it and by the time the lino raised his flag El Tel had already picked the ball up and kicked it downfield. The first 1 was a delayed reaction. His shirt was hardly touched and he stayed up. When he realised he could not get the ball he went down. so I flet we were harshly treated yesterday.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby View From The Pitch » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 pm

Sledge wrote:Middlesbrough's Aliadiere did the same as Fleetwood, appealed, and got a four-match ban instead of three (for a 'trivial appeal' (sic)). The club had better be careful in its appeal consideration

Who said this was the same?????

Torquay forum

Just listening to the cravat wearing Excretia manager trying to calm down after the defeat at Weyheymouth!!! Apparently they played against Weymouth, the ref, linesmen, the crowd, some bloke walking his dog down at Wyke Regis and the tea lady. It's all too much for him poor bloke

That was our game aswel from an FGR point of view.

Again from Torquay forum

Referee was awful.

That says it all.
Last edited by View From The Pitch on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby gasthegonad » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Would be interested to find out how much the torquay side weighed in comparison to FGR. They looked a rather portly lot bigger than some rugby sides I've played against!!must be due to the staple diet of fish,chips and ice cream down on the coast
I don't understand how anyone can criticise Johnny Hardiker, as far as I'm concerned he's one of the most consistant defenders I have seen at FGR always in the right place at the right time never shys away from the 50/50 (and wins most of them) really should be playing at a higher level. we are honored to have you here.Wish he'd score another goal though, keep putting a couple of quid on him at 38/1
(Founder member of the John Hardiker fan club)!!!
The ref was by far the poorest this season, the girlie ref. at the Woking game should be credited with having a good game I think, and the players showed a bit more respect to her as well
Better to burn out than to fade away
gasthegonad
Youth
Youth

Postby Bulldog Stripes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:54 pm

No one was having a go at John Hardiker. Just that a number of the media ie newspapers, commentary and bbc websites all giving **** information.

He is one of our best defenders agreed. Im just waiting for a goal like the home game to exeter last season. Untill then keep the tackles coming in
Bulldog Stripes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRgirl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:38 pm

How many of us were actually at Torquay yesterday, anybody know? However many it was we completely outsung Torquay fans despite everything that went on in the match.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tim B » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:04 am

Probably our biggest away crowd of the season, I would say.

Interesting to see the Fleetwood incident comments on the Torquay Forum.
Tim B
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Toffeeman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:19 am

A good FGR contingent which were incited by woeful Officials , no wonder some of our fans swore , the Pope would have struggled. Pathetic Officials ruined our day but what can you expect they are a law to themselves.
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to FGR First Team