Team News v Torquay (A)

All about our First Team

Re: Team News v Torquay (A)

Postby jamsiep » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Bulldog Stripes wrote:Hardiker needless foul inside the area

Oh suprise suprise :x

Why all the criticism for Hardiker, why no criticism for jonah for conceding the first penalty, after all his fouls have cost us quite a lot this season, for example he gave away a needless foul against Swindon and they scored from the free kick.
Adriano Rigoglioslow!!!
jamsiep
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:56 pm

The commentators blamed Hardiker for the first penalty too

He played so well last game its hard to believe he is so apparently out of sorts today.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenstripe » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:06 pm

A big well done to the boys. :)

From the radio commentary it sounded like they played out of their skins. :P

This could have been a great opportunity missed. :?

Still Jim will have taken plenty from this game with next season in mind! ;)
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Time to hit the train station and the long journey back to London.

We looked good for the first twenty minutes, matching them well. Didnt see the Fleets incident it was in the far corner, but Phillips is a cheat pure and simple he fell backwards because Jonah wasnt there to back into, screamed as he went down and the ref blew for it.

The rest of the half was flat, Burton made a good one on one save from fat boy Phillips.

The second half was more open and Torquay got through on several occasions. Stoney, Preece and Jonah right at the end could have snatched a point. Burton saved the second penalty at the far end.

A good days entertainment, even with ten men, and great support on the day.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Green Man » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:01 pm

I wasn't there today, I'm back in Rutland so was at Posh VS Chester. Keeping updated via the internet on my phone.

Fleets' red card was put down as Violent Conduct so I assumed it was for elbowing/headbutting?
The Green Man
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Queinty » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Thouroughly enjoyed myself, great to see Rovers in action again and even more so as it's very clear they're playing much better under Harvey. In a nutshell, we played better than Torquay who were found wanting, lucky to score their converted penalty ~ a draw would have been a fair result. Bit mystified by the decision to leave Les up front on his own, bless him lil fella, but Joner was unlucky to nearly rescus a point for us at the death. Again, didn't see what Fleetwood was sent off for, the incident was at the other end.

Special thanks to the unwavering, amusing away support who kept me giggling all the way through. Bristol Exiles flag I was next to.
Queinty
Trainee
Trainee

Postby theone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm

I thought the game was affectively over when Fleetwood was sent off but that was far from the case We really could have snatched a point in the last ten minutes.

I didn’t see the incident for the red card but it was given by the linesman on the opposite side of the pitch. Not many of their fans appealed for it as it was so far off the ball very few were looking in that direction.

The penalty decision was outrageous. I thought the ref was going to book Phillips for a dive and could not believe he was conned so easily. A really poor decision by a ref who had an awful afternoon missing blatant fouls for both teams. The Torquay stewards at half time even said what a dive it was.

Burton had some very dodgy moments in the first 30 minutes and was lucky not to concede. At one point he was way out of his area and thankfully Hardiker had the intelligence to get back on the line. After this he played well, making some solid saves, but in truth was rarely tested by poor finishing from Torquay.

In the second half Torquay squandered more opportunities as did Jones and Stonehouse for us.

The second penalty decision was initially waved away by the referee standing 10 yards away but given by the linesman who sent SF off 35 yards away. Difficult to tell if it was or was not from our end.

Disappointed that DCB did not get on when we chasing the game. JH must have a very low opinion of him if he prefers a 5ft4 winger in his place when we are playing long balls and going for a win.

A good day out despite the result. Good vocal following from the FGR fans and a friendly welcome from the home fans.
theone
Youth
Youth

Postby Lil-miss-fgr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:38 pm

well done to the lads, they played really well today. the penalty was certainly NOT a penalty, it was the most blatant dive you could ever see-joner didnt even touch the player, had a perfect view of it. Lee Phillips was the player to go down i think and his behaviour for the rest of the game, i felt, was disgusting. he made a number of gestures at the fgr fans, some of which complained to the stuards who did nothing. couldnt really see why the 2nd penalty was given but good save from burton. joner could have scored in the last few minutes with a header. came away proud of the lads as they played so well but so dissapointed we couldnt get at least a point as we played better than torquay for most of the match.
the away support was amazing today- didnt stop cheering on the lads despite the refs terrible performance. well done everybody
Lil-miss-fgr
Trainee
Trainee

Postby chelsearover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 pm

I agree with 'theone', the one thought I have about the penalty was, as Jonah was the last man, if it was a penalty why wasn't he red carded, also very disappointed with Plainmoor, not much better than Stafford Rangers ground, will have to see if they make any improvements for when we go there next season. Jim seemed to spend so much time with the fourth official, they must be on first name terms by now. FGR showed guts, determination and desire over skill and ability today, a draw would have been a fair result, not that Torquay know too much about being fair.
chelsearover
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm

theone wrote:Disappointed that DCB did not get on when we chasing the game. JH must have a very low opinion of him if he prefers a 5ft4 winger in his place when we are playing long balls and going for a win.

The radio commentary made the same point forcefully and maybe it was coveredin the interview afterwards. It looks like DCB is going to struggle to force his way back in to the team. Tough on him since he hasn't done anything wrong but, apart from Droysden, hasn't done much right either.

Maybe he will get a chance now Fleets is out for the next few games.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRgirl » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Well done to althe boys today, when Fleetwood was sent off i thought that we would be beaten 3 or 4 nil, but the lads played really well and i think that we deserved a point if not all three, Torquay were awful, and had 2 resort to cheating to win the match, and the ref was also awful. I can't comment on the Fleetwood sending off as i didn't see it, but Torquays first penalty was the most blatent dive that i have ever saw in my life, the lino said no, but the ref was conned. Didn't see the othet penalty incident either, but well done Terry for the save. Thought the lads had a good go of it today even tho we only had ten men for most of the game.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby charles » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Not the best of games thanks to Fleets, why did he have to slap that guy in the face,
Thought we played well with 10 and maybe could of got a point,
A big thanks must go to the Ref and linesman who were **** and spolt the game.
The first pen never in a million years, good dive tho, Terry unlucky not to save it, it seemed to hit a hole and bounced over his arm.
The second pen didnt really see but looked again a soft one, but great save this time...
We didnt defend well in the first half, i think the wind killed us.

The only plus was the fans, it was nice to see loads of FGR fans.......

Man of match has to be Burton, i thought he had a great game, saved a pen, did well in the first half one on one, Came for crosses, some caught some punched, and that last save was class, all in all just a good day at the office,
Apart from him coming out for a header and it going straight to there midfielder, but it came to nothing
charles
Reserves
Reserves

Postby KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:47 pm

A great day...

Except being robbed in a match we could have one. Two penalty's neither should have been given! Admittedly didn't see the 2nd one but when the ref is that close to it and doesnt blow until the linesman puts his flag up about 20 seconds after the incident i think that isn't a penalty. In the matter of the first one, Jones steps away from Phillips with his hands in the air and Phillips jumps about 10 yards, screaming in pain! If Joner had fouled him he would off been last man which means a red card.

Fleetwood was sent off for firstly being headbutted (straight red in FA rules.) and then only pushing the offender away which wouldn't stand for a red in any case.

The 'Victim' of the first penalty, Lee Phillips also made certain hand gestures, and used foul language towards certain members of the crowd and when being called a cheat for diving he pulled his tounge and laughed.

Hopefully they will sit this ref (D.J Phillips) down and give him a rule book, i also believe Phillips should be warned or punished for his actions. As for SSF's red card, i hope it can be appealed against.
KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR
Youth
Youth

Postby Tim B » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:08 pm

Back in the smoke and a bit of time to reflect on the match during the journey back.

Burton probably was man of the match but still flew out of his area twice, when neither were needed. Other candidates would be Jonah, Les Affull. Preecy had a steady game most of the time.

Although Torquay had more chances than us, a draw would have been a fair result, even with ten men. I will be surprised if we are not playing Torquay again next season.

Preecy nearly scored with a delicate lob which if it had been three feet higher would have found the back of the net rather than the keepers hands, Stoney had a good shot but straight at the keeper and Jonah nearly scored at the death with a bullett header from a top class cross. In fact Jonah played very well as did Stonehouse, making a number of very good well timed tackles on the left.

We still have a tendency to overplay the ball when approaching the 18 yard line. Once or twice a bit of bravery rather than a square ball might have produced a goal, OR just hit the bloody thing first time !

We have the makings of a Championship winning squad provided we can hold the squad together and bring in a small bit of fresh blood. We gifted two goals to Cambridge a few weeks ago, drew with Stevenage when we probably should have won, beat Aldershot, and now we have lost narrowly to Torquay. We are matching the best the League has to offer, even if we havnt had the rub of the green on some occasions.

COME ON ROVERS.

We need a storming end to the season and hit the ground running next term. A few games without SSF may not be such a bad thing over the next few weeks, he is a nailed on cert to leave in the summer.
Tim B
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks for the match reports guys: good to read most people are so upbeat despite the defeat. Let's hope this mood permeates the club and the board give JH sufficient freedom and budget to plan to build on this season.

Hopefully players will want to stay and Jim will be allowed to retain who he wants and bring in some fresh blood.

As for overplaying the ball when approaching the 18 yard line, it is so like Arsenal. Often we just pass too much instead of players making incisive runs or having shots at goal. But give me this rather than the FGR of old and if we are being moulded into being one of the Big Four of the Blue Square Premiership, I wont complain.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby a dog named pete » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:46 pm

We all know Fleets didn't stay because of any "love" for the club or feeling that he owed us anything, he stayed because of the big fat signing on fee he can get in the summer when out of contract. After January, he knew he need no longer to try his hardest so has just levelled off to the standard of an average conference journeyman. Its a shame we didn't get rid of him in when we had the chance.
Forest Green - Barking?
a dog named pete
Youth
Youth

Postby Toffeeman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 pm

Why criticise Hardiker because of what a radio commentator said, I was there and he was solid as usual at the back, do some of you not want him to challenge people. , he has been great recently lets hope he does not read this board. The thing that really gets my back up is comments made by people who were not even at the game. Rant over well done lads despite the ref, neither was a foul and for the information of those of you who did not go it was Lawless who supposedly gave away the second penalty not Hardiker.
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Toffeeman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:29 am

According to the gulls site we had 65 per cent of the possession, well done, could have won with a bit of luck.
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stroud green » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 am

jamsiep wrote:

Why all the criticism for Hardiker, why no criticism for jonah for conceding the first penalty, after all his fouls have cost us quite a lot this season, for example he gave away a needless foul against Swindon and they scored from the free kick.

Did not see the Hardiker penalty incident, but no critcism of Joner as it was not a F'ing penalty. Referee got conned on more than one occasion. Burton, my man of the match, kept the score respectable. A battling Rovers performance, which a draw would have been a fair result. Lets keep the ball rolling and have a strong finish to the season and let JH work his magic in the summer, and I'm sure we can challenge at the top next season.A great turnout by FGR fans, outsang Torquay all game. Proud of you all. Where were you Helen Chamberlain...

P.S The granny steward behind the goal who said no photography or swearing caused more trouble than she prevented. Where do they get them from, she should have been at home peeling the potatoes. Just goes to show what great stewards we have at FGR
Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bulldog Stripes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:33 am

stroud green wrote:
jamsiep wrote:

Did not see the Hardiker penalty incident, but no critcism of Joner as it was not a F'ing penalty. Referee got conned on more than one occasion. Burton, my man of the match, kept the score respectable. A battling Rovers performance, which a draw would have been a fair result. Lets keep the ball rolling and have a strong finish to the season and let JH work his magic in the summer, and I'm sure we can challenge at the top next season.A great turnout by FGR fans, outsang Torquay all game. Proud of you all. Where were you Helen Chamberlain...

P.S The granny steward behind the goal who said no photography or swearing caused more trouble than she prevented. Where do they get them from, she should have been at home peeling the potatoes. Just goes to show what great stewards we have at FGR

Exactly well said. Regarding the first penalty. Everybody on this forum would have been listening to Bob Hunt who said (That is now two penalties John Hardiker has given away). Regardless of who it was, the penalty should never have been given. Regardless of the result Im really proud of the ten players who managed to outplay a cheating ex football league team
Bulldog Stripes
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team