Respect for Referees??

All about our First Team

Re: Respect for Referees??

Postby gooseman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:46 pm

What I was trying to state is that we can't expect players, managers and officials not to swear and at the same time allowing blantant swearing on the terrace. It just seems hypocritical to me. Like I've said before I don't have a problem myself but sooner it will be become an issue, not only for players but for the supporters and club.

Life is not fair, but for me the issue is not the swearing but the so called cheating that now is riddled with this game. By all accounts the first penalty was nothing more than a professional dive. Instead of stamping down on it, we have actually allowed it to flourish in the game. So what if the player gets caught - the most he gets is a booking( not sure how much a booking is these days ). What could have happened is that not only did the penalty get given, but Jones could have been sent off, all from someone saying is was being "professional". Those travelling supporters who have paid alot of money to see the game feel that the efforts made to watch have been spoilt by what we should call is a "cheat".

Rant over. :evil:
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby View From The Pitch » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:19 pm

I doubt anything will be said until the suituation is resolved.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby Tim13 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

A little worried by your new avatar there, Mr Gardner! Who's getting it, then - the chop that is?!!

T
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby colin gardner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:21 pm

That's the first time I have seen it, blame Heather. I must say she has the skills that I lack.
With regard to the chop, it's not had any use recently so I am just glad to keep it honed.
We have a good team here at Five Valleys Conference & Leisure as well as at Forest Green Rovers which enables us to support the huge expense of keeping a quality first team, reserve team and Manager. It is always important to remember their hard work behind the scenes and I also include all those other people who volunteer their services at the club on match days and non-match days.
colin gardner
Youth
Youth

Postby Silver Surfer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 am

If I was an opposing player I would be extremely happy to see the way SSF has been slagging off the linos because it clearly shows that he's not focussed on his job. With his style of play anything less than 100% focus and concentration will make the difference between bwtween scoring and just failing.

Come on Stu - ignore the poor decisions and keep going, otherwise that Ronald bloke from up North will end up with more goals than you. If you do then every so often the linos will fail to flag when you are actually offside.

I must also agree with the bad language. It really isn't necessary, and does nothing for the image of the people using it. It is usually a sign of a failure to think of anything witty to say or chant.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Havelock » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:55 pm

colin gardner wrote:The number of complaints regarding abusive language at Forest Green continues to grow but unfortunately even the decrease in attendance will never get through to the brain of the perpetrators who will blame the loss of support on anything which is not to do with them.

I suppose one answer is that which I which I will witness at Wembley on Sunday. Piped Music drowning out the crowd until the ref blows his whitsle for the start of the match!

colin gardner wrote:Just a final point, how many of these so called supporters do you see at fund raising events for the club? NONE

Or do not use any of the facilities!

On the subject of the SSF incident, I think we shoudl reserve judgement until we have seen if the TV caught it. But I do hear that the likes of Barnet have turned around their poor discipline record by only allowing the Captain to speak to the officials. Just a thought.
<*))))>< Well how well that could describe our life, we sing the cross ><((((*>
Havelock
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:16 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:If I was an opposing player I would be extremely happy to see the way SSF has been slagging off the linos because it clearly shows that he's not focussed on his job. With his style of play anything less than 100% focus and concentration will make the difference between bwtween scoring and just failing.

Come on Stu - ignore the poor decisions and keep going, otherwise that Ronald bloke from up North will end up with more goals than you. If you do then every so often the linos will fail to flag when you are actually offside.

This was a point I was trying to make earlier - I agree. Early in the season I saw no such persistent complaining from Stu.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby View From The Pitch » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:40 pm

I think Fleets just wants the best for FGR and want to help them win as many games as he can. He always gives a 100% for FGR and is still motivated . He still really cares about FGR as you can see by the way he celebrated the winner against woking.
To be fair he does not get the 50/50's as he did earlier in the season. I know he moans about it but it does sometimes pay off because 1 incident against Halifax he was well off but the lino missed it.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby StonehouseGreen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Bulldog Stripes wrote:If there has to be zero tollerance then so be it. If referees are told to flash cards for anything regarded as dissent, then slowly but surely players, managers etc will soon learn even if it has to be the hard way ( 8 a side).

Totally agree. Another way is to move the free kick 10 yards on (towards the goal) each time any one complains (a la Rugby)- if it ends up in the box its a penalty. I thought refs had this option at one time but you don't see it happen.
Maradona good, Pele better, George Best
StonehouseGreen
Youth
Youth

Re: Respect for Referees (long post)

Postby Dutch Uncle » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I have been thinking about this problem for a while and who would be a referee these days? I think part of the problem may be that referees have little scope in the punishments they can mete out for bad language, abuse etc – i.e. yellow or red cards only. This means in many cases a referee will allow some chat and/or expletives the first time, especially if there is some doubt if the player is directing them at an official (as opposed to a team-mate, opponent or even himself), and then at a subsequent time or offence brandish the yellow or red for some sort of cumulative misdemeanour. This means by definition inconsistency. In fact often players see how far they can go with a particular official.

Some years ago (well OK 25 plus years ago) I was active in organising and training referees for international squash matches and faced a similar dilemma as disqualification from the match was the only sanction against a player arguing or bad mouthing the referee. This was a penalty which in practice was never applied, especially if a full gallery of paying spectators was enjoying a match. I was involved in suggesting the creation of a range of lesser penalties (point against, game against……) which was more credible and effective, and a code of conduct soon followed (cf point against for ‘racket abuse’ in tennis).

Maybe football needs to look at other games (e.g. Rugby) and create a similar range of sanctions. If the referee had a wide choice of sanctions such as free kick to the opposition for bad language or opponents free-kick advanced by 10 yards, 10 minutes sin bin, …….then there would be more scope for using this range of penalties consistently.

Just an idea
Dutch Uncle
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Green Lantern » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:06 am

Dutch Uncle suggests something that I have long thought would improve the behaviour of players i.e. the sin bin. As in rugby , if a player is yellow carded , he should have 10 minutes on the sidelines. This course of action thus effectively punishes the whole team. As things are at present , receiving a booking doesn't really punish a team - all it does is add a point or two to a player's personal tally - usually the actual game in which the booking is received remains unaffected. Also , I cant remember the last time when I saw a referee advance a free-kick 10 yards if a player argues with the decision. Refs can still do this can't they ? I wonder why they don't enforce this rule more often ?
Green Lantern
Youth
Youth

Postby Sledge » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am

The problem with 10 minutes off for a yellow card is that cards are so often given out for mere tackles. Players would be scared to tackle and we would end up with a touch-rugby type of game

In rugby yellow cards aren't given out so readily, and only when there is consensus between officials over a severe incident
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Smiths Way » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Green Lantern wrote:Also , I cant remember the last time when I saw a referee advance a free-kick 10 yards if a player argues with the decision. Refs can still do this can't they ? I wonder why they don't enforce this rule more often ?

No they can't.
Smiths Way

Postby Green Lantern » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:17 pm

I must hold my hands up and admit that I didn't know that. When was the 10 yard rule recinded ?
Green Lantern
Youth
Youth

Previous

Return to FGR First Team