we've got an exciting week

All about our First Team

Re: we've got an exciting week

Postby voodoobluesman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:46 am

Bristol_Green wrote:
michael wrote:for those of us advocating more promotion of ladies football within the club ;it has not gone unnoticed that the kit reveal featured two girls alongside the guys.(one assumes they have connections with the ladies side at the club)

Its a start .
-from little acorns and all of that

I tried, I really did ☹️

Ah! Good to see you back on the forum.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Allowed back on the forum?
Bronco
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 pm

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it ??

It's the end of the week and a bit of a lead balloon at the moment. I was looking forward to one of those top of the range tent signings. :(
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Re Crowd: given the matches were never publicised (and how much would THAT cost?) it's not surprising there was little support.

to be fair-i think the club did publicise the matches.

you have to be honest and say that at the level FGR play at moment- its not that attractive to watch (agee at least some games should be played at TNL.

In the ladies game-until investment is made and the club moves up a couple of divisions at least-i doubt whether it will attract many-but that does not mean it should not be supported/marketed by the club.
it does not need vast sums .

lets hear what rthe manager of the ladies team is looking to achieve this season/
lets hear from a couple of the players
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:34 pm

after the academy announcement ,is there a difference between women in football and womens football ?

good to see the cross over .

still want to see more 'support' from within given to the ladies team and get it built again, but pleasing to read of the alleged academy appointment .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby richmond » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:24 am

Very interesting discussion about the women's and girls football.

The supporters club have financially supported the girls team for several seasons, and promoted them as often as possible. For instance in being able to attend the skills training courses.

So invite you to consider joining the SC, not only to increase the financial possibilities. but to broaden our support base, and influence.

Can be found on our website fgrsc.com.
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 am

richmond wrote:Very interesting discussion about the women's and girls football.

The supporters club have financially supported the girls team for several seasons, and promoted them as often as possible. For instance in being able to attend the skills training courses.

So invite you to consider joining the SC, not only to increase the financial possibilities. but to broaden our support base, and influence.

Will DV match fund whatever the SC put in? It shouldn’t be for fans to subsidise a billionaire just because he doesn’t think a women’s team has enough marketing reach (or do we dare speculate he actively does not want to spend on the women’s team after his divorce acrimony?)

DV could get the women’s side to the second tier easily for less money than it took to buy the men’s team a place in the EFL!
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:42 am

Lord Above EE. Speculation with a cutting edge.

I think that the plan has always been to promote FGR Womens Team from the new stadium with big enough facilities to accommodate the two set ups.

There's been a delay in the stadium. FGR Womens FC have continued without more than a couple of thousand from the club and from the Supporters Club. The Club already puts in around the same as The Supporters Club, to cover pitch rental, travelling fees etc, but not the development of the Womens Game.

Hopefully that latter point is about to change. The Supporters Club successfully lobbied to have the new Soccer Skills School opened up to Girls as well as Boys last year before contributing with any funding which we did,

There will now perhaps be a big enough groundswell to drive the Womens game forward and see FGR Womens FC progress to much higher levels.

The pitch that they play on needs to be carefully chosen and it is extremely unlikely that The New Lawn would ever be used for regular season matches for very obvious reasons.

The Supporters Club did, once, successfully lobby for a single FGR Womens FC League fixture to be played at The New Lawn at the very end of the season, when any cutting up of the pitch would be inconsequential, in the DH era. The match kicked off at 5pm and a reasonable number of supporters stayed on to support the Womens Team. It is definitely something that could be repeated.

As for Michael's point about the Womens teams football not being of a high enough standard to watch, I think that misses the point. If it was silky skills etc that were the only reason anyone watched Football then the leagues would have long ago morphed into some dreadful franchised pay per view monstrosity. Its about supporting your team at the level that they play at.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks for the interesting and informative post above .
(share your view Tim that E-E's comment was a minimally harsh maybe unnecessary and probably very wrong anyway )?

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... -football/

with the' new 'news whilst there is obviously a difference between women in football and womens football-but i want to see both progress,and like i have no interest in the mens game at premier league and national level-i have minimal interest in the womens game at natioonal at full WSL super league-but want to see FGR do well at ladies regional level

As the week draws to a conclusion-coming back to the main theme of the thread -like most-i probably get my biggest highs from player signings ,but i would give the kit a point-and the subsequent publicity a bonus point.

The apparent Academy Appointment news -also well worth a point -so yeh-fair dues-and an 8/10 on the excitement barometer
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:14 pm

michael wrote:Re Crowd: given the matches were never publicised (and how much would THAT cost?) it's not surprising there was little support.

to be fair-i think the club did publicise the matches.

Really? Where?

I only ever saw reports after the games had been played not where and when they are to be played. In fact, it is very difficult to even find anything o=n the website about our ladies team.

Similar to a youngsters march in London last year when people said they would have gone if they'd known about it.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:55 pm

agree it could always be bigger and better, but i thought most of the match reports themselves often detailed the next match, and in particular, the ladies team managers post match analysis would also detail who they would try hard against the following week .

that all given- i don't think it would make much difference to the attendance anyway, but it would help raise the profile, and its a long process where you just have to persevere.

-anyway, thats enough excitement for one week for me .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
richmond wrote:Very interesting discussion about the women's and girls football.

Will DV match fund whatever the SC put in? It shouldn’t be for fans to subsidise a billionaire just because he doesn’t think a women’s team has enough marketing reach (or do we dare speculate he actively does not want to spend on the women’s team after his divorce acrimony?)

DV could get the women’s side to the second tier easily for less money than it took to buy the men’s team a place in the EFL!

Since when is DV a billionaire?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR_Media » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Glad the excitement rating was adequate enough for the tweet leading into the week. I hope this week has been equally exciting with another signing and the coverage from our pre-season training camp, not to mention the first pre-season game this Saturday at Swindon Supermarine (3pm).

When it comes to the ladies, when I arrived at the club, there was little to no coverage of the Ladies. Last season I was able to address this and we could produce a match report and manager reaction piece after each game, in which we made sure we included the next match. We also ensured they were covered in the programme and made sure they were a part of our recent kit launch. There are more things going on this summer and we will put this news out when it is the right time to do so. We'll look at possible player interviews as well next season, but the team is very young and these have to be done right.

I hope that addresses some of the above adequately :)
FGR_Media
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Thanks for a bit of feedback.

long process ,but i think most want some success for the ladies-and as one or two post-and i think-you would imagine its a bit easier to achieve for the ladies, as they are starting from a low base .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:13 am

FGR_Media wrote:Glad the excitement rating was adequate enough for the tweet leading into the week. I hope this week has been equally exciting with another signing and the coverage from our pre-season training camp, not to mention the first pre-season game this Saturday at Swindon Supermarine (3pm).

When it comes to the ladies, when I arrived at the club, there was little to no coverage of the Ladies. Last season I was able to address this and we could produce a match report and manager reaction piece after each game, in which we made sure we included the next match. We also ensured they were covered in the programme and made sure they were a part of our recent kit launch. There are more things going on this summer and we will put this news out when it is the right time to do so. We'll look at possible player interviews as well next season, but the team is very young and these have to be done right.

Whilst it might include the next match, were time & place mentioned. I have to admit, I'm not even sure where the ladies play.

What's the problem with having a page under the teams section on the web-site rather than just the first team? Doesn't have to be bios, could be some blurb, fixture list and location. Even how to join?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:

Man divorces woman so now hates all women. A totally reasonable extrapolation.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby paulK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

Man divorces woman so now hates all women. A totally reasonable extrapolation.

Especially with how much she tried to screw him for :roll:

But no E-E, I think you go too far, as usual.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR_Media » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:17 pm

paulK wrote:
FGR_Media wrote:Glad the excitement rating was adequate enough for the tweet leading into the week. I hope this week has been equally exciting with another signing and the coverage from our pre-season training camp, not to mention the first pre-season game this Saturday at Swindon Supermarine (3pm).

Whilst it might include the next match, were time & place mentioned. I have to admit, I'm not even sure where the ladies play.

What's the problem with having a page under the teams section on the web-site rather than just the first team? Doesn't have to be bios, could be some blurb, fixture list and location. Even how to join?

Completely agree and is on a long to-do list for us. Hoping to have something like this for both the Ladies and the Academy by the start of the season.
FGR_Media
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:02 am

FGR_Media wrote:
paulK wrote:

Completely agree and is on a long to-do list for us. Hoping to have something like this for both the Ladies and the Academy by the start of the season.

That's great news. Thanks FGR_Media
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team