we've got an exciting week

All about our First Team

Re: we've got an exciting week

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am

Im excited - on holiday to Kernow tomorrow for the week, and seeing Calender Girls at Hippodrome next Sat week on way back !.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:59 am

I'm excited!

Off to Nibley Festival tomorrow.

Sugar Hill Gang on Saturday night.

I said a hip, hop....
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:05 pm

michael wrote:OK-shall we meet in the middle and apply an excitement quotient of 4 so far ,albeit the kit launch is yet to come .
for some that will raise the excitement level through the ceiling.For me-maybe just half a point.
half an excitement point lost with Digby leaving

A bit disappointed no vegan recipes this week-that definitely would gain a full excitement point from me,and if its a pudding with vegan custard-1.5 points

I would say that one thing that would be a big positive/exciting step would be if, in light of the current raised profile of womens football, the club announced an increase in investment/profile of the FGR Ladies team, an area that seems somewhat overlooked at this point.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
I would say that one thing that would be a big positive/exciting step would be if, in light of the current raised profile of womens football, the club announced an increase in investment/profile of the FGR Ladies team, an area that seems somewhat overlooked at this point.

I agree with this. A few years ago we had a very successful Women’s team. I think they reached the third tier. Then something went wrong a lot of players left it basically disbanded and hey had to start all over again.
Yeovil made it to the top league and there is no reason why we couldn’t do the same.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:27 pm

with you both 100% on that.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:I'm excited!

I said a hip, hop....

Aren't the Sugar Hill Gang (and all of us) more hip op. these days :D
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Add me to the wish list for the club getting more involved in ladies football. I seem to remember we had a very successful girls team a few years ago, who paraded round the pitch with a trophy that looked a bit like the European Cup, by now they would surely have made a pretty decent ladies team.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:16 pm

I've really enjoyed the women's world cup, and would also like to see more of FGR ladies. There was an occasion at the old lawn where a women's game was played straight after the normal men's Saturday league match, and a lot of people stayed on to watch it.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
michael wrote:OK-shall we meet in the middle and apply an excitement quotient of 4 so far ,albeit the kit launch is yet to come .
for some that will raise the excitement level through the ceiling.For me-maybe just half a point.
half an excitement point lost with Digby leaving

A bit disappointed no vegan recipes this week-that definitely would gain a full excitement point from me,and if its a pudding with vegan custard-1.5 points

I seem to remember feeling a bit disappointed recently wheen Dale made an announcement for the future that basically ignored the womens side of things.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:05 pm

paulK wrote:
I seem to remember feeling a bit disappointed recently wheen Dale made an announcement for the future that basically ignored the womens side of things.

Next time there is a fan's forum then perhaps it would be appropriate for someone to challenge him on it.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby michael » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:37 pm

It was a question at the last forum.

Bit of a lukewarm response by DV-
my interpretation was the question was politely patted away ,and their is no enthusiasm for it from the top.

-would like to be proved wrong-and i am surprised that someone forward thinking like DV does not seem to value it more .

to be fair-his answer was along the lines of 'their are bigger priorities' -(its on here somewhere in the meeting 'minutes' ) You can't argue with that-but at the same time-its the same for all clubs, and many see a bigger opportunity here than FGR do .
Pity -especially as the Euro's are in the UK in 2 years time when it will get even more publicity .

still time for DV to 'get involved' and lead from the top on this one
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:23 am

The Jovial Forester wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:I'm excited!

I said a hip, hop....

Aren't the Sugar Hill Gang (and all of us) more hip op. these days :D
:lol:
Bristol_Green
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:26 am

I used to go to FGR Ladies games, home and away, week in, week out.

Very poorly attended. Apart from myself, Shane or the other guy on photo duties, and occasionally Joycie, there would just be half a dozen of the players' friends and families as support, on a good day.

If you want the club to take the Ladies team more seriously, and invest in it, it's up to us as supporters of FGR to step up first, and start attending... I used to try and encourage people, but sadly it was like pulling teeth.

Issues arose in the squad, players started drifting away. I got disillusioned, and drifted away as well... Shame really, following them through from nothing to winning promotion to the South West Womens Premier League, was one of the undoubted highlights I have had supporting FGR.
Bristol_Green
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:36 am

11am kit reveal.
Bristol_Green
Trainee
Trainee

Postby michael » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:20 am

just 2400 seconds more to wait.

i'm all of a quiver
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:33 am

Bristol_Green wrote:I used to go to FGR Ladies games, home and away, week in, week out.

Very poorly attended. Apart from myself, Shane or the other guy on photo duties, and occasionally Joycie, there would just be half a dozen of the players' friends and families as support, on a good day.

If you want the club to take the Ladies team more seriously, and invest in it, it's up to us as supporters of FGR to step up first, and start attending... I used to try and encourage people, but sadly it was like pulling teeth.

Issues arose in the squad, players started drifting away. I got disillusioned, and drifted away as well... Shame really, following them through from nothing to winning promotion to the South West Womens Premier League, was one of the undoubted highlights I have had supporting FGR.

i can understand the sentiment, and whilst i think in the mens game its simply winning' that attracts the majority of spectators ,i think in the ladies game it does need marketing at local level-and yes-as you say-that costs money .
Dv's bat and ball-and there are not unlimited funds, so he chooses to put the investment-elsewhere-fair enough .

I think the benefit of 'marketing' is over exaggerated -lots of money wasted -but in this case of the ladies game-i think the club/marketing needs to drive it on.-player profiles/player interviews /play the occasional game at TNL /make the ladies team feel important .Statement of intent from the chairman /ambitions to be two divisions higher in four years etc etc.

again as you say-promotion to the SWWPL was to be celebrated and capitalised upon .
The green man should have been packed out with lady footballers/womens game supporters and general FGR supporters on wednesday eveing watching England v USA.

not hindsight-a few were saying all of this ttwo years ago.
Now is the time to 'go again' ready for the Euro's
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:58 pm

for those of us advocating more promotion of ladies football within the club ;it has not gone unnoticed that the kit reveal featured two girls alongside the guys.(one assumes they have connections with the ladies side at the club)

Its a start .
-from little acorns and all of that
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:18 pm

michael wrote:for those of us advocating more promotion of ladies football within the club ;it has not gone unnoticed that the kit reveal featured two girls alongside the guys.(one assumes they have connections with the ladies side at the club)

Its a start .
-from little acorns and all of that

I tried, I really did ☹️

Bristol_Green
Trainee
Trainee

Postby paulK » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 pm

michael wrote:
Bristol_Green wrote:I used to go to FGR Ladies games, home and away, week in, week out.

i can understand the sentiment, and whilst i think in the mens game its simply winning' that attracts the majority of spectators ,i think in the ladies game it does need marketing at local level-and yes-as you say-that costs money .
Dv's bat and ball-and there are not unlimited funds, so he chooses to put the investment-elsewhere-fair enough .

I think the benefit of 'marketing' is over exaggerated -lots of money wasted -but in this case of the ladies game-i think the club/marketing needs to drive it on.-player profiles/player interviews /play the occasional game at TNL /make the ladies team feel important .Statement of intent from the chairman /ambitions to be two divisions higher in four years etc etc.

again as you say-promotion to the SWWPL was to be celebrated and capitalised upon .
The green man should have been packed out with lady footballers/womens game supporters and general FGR supporters on wednesday eveing watching England v USA.

not hindsight-a few were saying all of this ttwo years ago.
Now is the time to 'go again' ready for the Euro's

Re Crowd: given the matches were never publicised (and how much would THAT cost?) it's not surprising there was little support.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 am

Advertise and promote the women’s games more, play them at TNL, and give free, or very cheap access to FGR men’s ST holders. Make the match day programme feature more content from the women’s team. Treat the women’s team like an equal partner and it will feel less of an afterthought.

Here is an article on how Lyon got it so right: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... f-the-pack

For the amount of money DV has put in to the men’s team in the last 5-10 years he could easily have bought promotion to the top of the women’s game and be in in the second tier, in my view.

But then currently there is less marketing opportunity for Ecotricity in the women’s game which is what FGR exists for, rather than footballing reasons, so being successful in the women’s game is probably not of any interest to DV.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team