FGR dazzles with world’s first bamboo football kit

All about our First Team

Re: FGR dazzles with world’s first bamboo football kit

Postby GreenMachine » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:55 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:Looks utter cack in my opinion we are going to look embarrassing next season. Would rather Forest Green get known for their footballing prowess rather than this eco warrior nonsense, though I suppose that’s never going to happen under Coopers leadership and Vinces daft proposals for wooden stadiums.

Not really sure if post is a wind up but suspect it genuine when author pens "Proud supporter of Forest Green. Love the team, hate the regime" under his name.
Few points worthy of reply:
# Without Mark C & Dale V it is almost certain FGR would not be a Football League club. [Think of Ady Pennock and winning first nine games of season but still not getting promoted]
# Without Dale V it is very probably that FGR could have gone out of business or at least now be playing ElGlosico matches against Shortwood or Cirencester or Brimscombe.
# With the exception of our friends at Cheltenham who have given our new kit the thumbs down, it has been generally well received by fellow football supporters.
# Being the first official Green club in the world has brought recognition to our club that is the envy of all our competitors. That recognition has also brought in decent sponsorship which will help the club move upwards.

Where GreenMachine would have been better advised to make issue is FGR's association with Sea Shepherd.
They have a very dubious history and this recent publicity could unfortunately harm FGR with its ever closer links to their chosen charity.
Not a wind up, have been supporting FGR for many years now. Just would rather money is spent on the team rather than tacky PR nonsense that churns out this rubbish. Oh and for what it’s worth, Cooper is growing on me believe it or not. Up the Rovers.
Proud supporter of Forest Green. Love the team, hate the regime.
GreenMachine
Youth
Youth

Postby Wreckless » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Building on the Zebra theme, perhaps we could have Black and White stripes (and red socks).

Failing that, I think the new kit looks rather good.
Wreckless
Reserves
Reserves

Postby DominicH » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Looks good to me. Already ordered an away shirt replica....

I'd been worried from some of the advance teasers that the design might have been something wacky in the manner of some kits that were around in the early 90s (taking advantage of what new cloth-printing technologies then could do, no doubt), but, thankfully it wasn't: creative and sharp rather than weird. Smart move all round.
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Postby greenstripe » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Light years ahead of last season's kit - Iconic, home and away.
Anjuna fam
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Dale and I were having a good chat with a Sky Sports News reporter today, who came to training to cover the launch of the kit.

He works for Sky in Wales - he covers Cardiff and Swansea and the South West. We're the only league two club he ever visits - and he's been to see us seven times in the last year.

I think we've had coverage globally today for the new kit - one post on Instagram alone from a sports news site has had over 41000 likes as I write this.

It's after 10pm and there's over 30 people shopping on our website as I type - many of them have yet to visit Nailsworth, but that doesn't make them any less of a fan.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 pm

GreenMachine wrote:Looks utter cack in my opinion we are going to look embarrassing next season. Would rather Forest Green get known for their footballing prowess rather than this eco warrior nonsense, though I suppose that’s never going to happen under Coopers leadership and Vinces daft proposals for wooden stadiums.

There used to be a lot of these hypercritical posts in the early years of Dale's ownership...they were usually accompanied by prediction of falling gates, low take up of vegan food and relegation! Oh yes and there was a feeling he was only in it for the short term.That pessimism has been disproven.

. Players and the majority of fans love the new shirts, comparing them to 'cack' says more about you embarrassing yourself.

. FGR are highly respected for their football prowess

. Eco-warrior nonsense? I think you are at odds with most of your generation!

. What don't you like about Mark Cooper's style of play? It attracts players and fans to our club. Would you prefer Hockaday's or Pennock's?

. Is it a stunning new stadium you think is daft or the fact it is made of a sustainable material?
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Norton Boy wrote:

Good job its only your opinion then eh,just about everybody else seems to like it.I find it more embarrassing having fans like you constantly moan about every aspect of the club they claim to support.Coops has us playing beautiful football and the new ground is designed by one of the top architects in the world and Dales trying to make the club a more planet friendly concern,but you find these things embarrassing appsrently :roll:

Beautiful football which has the team achieving less than the sum of its parts and top architects who are happy to work with cruel anti-human rights regimes like Qatar.

Yes, so much to be positive about and the new kit being made of bamboo and the rest of the sustainability stuff and Vince’s ambition is great - but the true fans also recognise negatives and raise them when they have to be said.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:48 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:

Not really sure if post is a wind up but suspect it genuine when author pens "Proud supporter of Forest Green. Love the team, hate the regime" under his name.
Few points worthy of reply:
# Without Mark C & Dale V it is almost certain FGR would not be a Football League club. [Think of Ady Pennock and winning first nine games of season but still not getting promoted]
# Without Dale V it is very probably that FGR could have gone out of business or at least now be playing ElGlosico matches against Shortwood or Cirencester or Brimscombe.
# With the exception of our friends at Cheltenham who have given our new kit the thumbs down, it has been generally well received by fellow football supporters.
# Being the first official Green club in the world has brought recognition to our club that is the envy of all our competitors. That recognition has also brought in decent sponsorship which will help the club move upwards.

Where GreenMachine would have been better advised to make issue is FGR's association with Sea Shepherd.
They have a very dubious history and this recent publicity could unfortunately harm FGR with its ever closer links to their chosen charity.

What’s your gripe with Sea Shepherd? Some nonsense you read in the Mail?
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GFA » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Have just watched the academy team play Brimscombe using the new kit.

Looks good.

One problem, the usual one, cannot easily read the numbers on the backs.
Needs a white, or other plain colour, as a background
GFA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:52 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:

https://www.icrwhale.org/eng/history.pdf
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:02 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

They're a Japanese pro-whaling lobby group.

Do you support them?
Bristol_Green
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

Do you support them?

Yes if everything they state is true.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:11 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Bristol_Green wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

Do you support them?

Jesus Christ, what do you do for fun, fox hunting? Trophy hunting? drowning puppies?
Bristol_Green
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Norton Boy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
Norton Boy wrote:

Good job its only your opinion then eh,just about everybody else seems to like it.I find it more embarrassing having fans like you constantly moan about every aspect of the club they claim to support.Coops has us playing beautiful football and the new ground is designed by one of the top architects in the world and Dales trying to make the club a more planet friendly concern,but you find these things embarrassing appsrently :roll:

Beautiful football which has the team achieving less than the sum of its parts and top architects who are happy to work with cruel anti-human rights regimes like Qatar.

Yes, so much to be positive about and the new kit being made of bamboo and the rest of the sustainability stuff and Vince’s ambition is great - but the true fans also recognise negatives and raise them when they have to be said.

So 'true fans' saying new shirts are cack and embarrassing,slating the clubs eco policy and dissing the new stadium plan is recognising the negatives is it?
By the way do inform us of your version of a true fan,I'm all ears.
You are clearly a football expert so how is Coops not getting the full potential from the team he put together since you apparently know better?
Finally they design buildings,they don't tell customers how much to pay workers or hpw tp treat them etc,if companies refused to work with anyone with a less than perfect record then they would work for nobody.Maybe take up Qatar's human rights record with FIFA.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:37 pm

The jury is out.

Waiting to see what happens from a practical perspective on the pitch.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:43 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

ok so that's history. And now?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:58 pm

coming back to the kit and its debated 'competitive advantage ' here is what Mr Vince has to say on that :

one thinks he may have been talking to the Sun somewhat 'tongue in cheek ' but they obviously took him at his word .

no doubt some sad jobsworth will now make a case for 'testing the kit 'to ensure it is legal-just like the fuss made over the british olympic cycling teams kit :

And now they want to encourage all English teams to manufacture kits that are made from 100 per cent sustainable materials.

And club chairman Dale Vince has not just stopped there. He has had them designed in green and black zebra stripes to gain a competitive advantage over their rivals.

It was all inspired from a nature documentary that Vince watched on television about zebras.(love it )

The stripes are natural camouflage so effective for a “dazzle of zebras” - the collective noun for a group - when confusing predators and stopping them from attacking.

Vince said: “The zebras’ unique striping makes it harder for rivals to judge their speed and direction.

“Did you know they used zebra stripes on warships at the start of the Second World War? They did it to confuse the gunners of enemy ships.
MADE OF BAMBOO
“They couldn’t tell which way the ship was steaming, which made it difficult for artillery to be aimed accurately at them.(interesting and i think true )

“So we’re hoping that our opponents will also be confused when they play us and we might even get a competitive advantage.”

Vince – who is a green energy industrialist – is hoping that Forest Green's bamboo shirts will lead the way in English football clubs switching to sustainable materials.

He said: “I never realised until recently that all football shirts are made from plastic – polyester – and I wanted us to change that and make them from sustainable sources.

“So I asked our kit supplier if they could make something out of bamboo.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:40 am

OK, I think I've just got it. Why the kit is different front and back.

The pronounced green & black stripe is to bamboozle the opposition , stopping them from attacking and impairing them from judging speed and distance.

The rather subtle pattern of the back will not have the same effect because the stripes are too similar in colour.

The trick now is for Coops to coach the players to move forwards towards our opponents goal rather than going from side to side and backwards. I suppose the hardest is going to be to stop Grubby doing his mazy runs across the width of the pitch. The players also need to be coached to not turn their backs on the opposition when defending.

Our players are also going to have to learn to do pirouettes and land on their backs when they fall so that the ref will be able to see when they have been flattened, rather than just appearing to have disappeared from sight. They will need to do it in such a way that they don't appear to have dived tho.

Cunning eh :o
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:24 am

Bristol_Green wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Bristol_Green wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

Do you support them?

Jesus Christ, what do you do for fun, fox hunting? Trophy hunting? drowning puppies?

That is uncalled for. You failed to answer if what it written is true!
My point is clear that Sea Shepherd is a dodgy charity to support.
FGR would have been better choosing something like GreenPeace.
BTW the fox hunting community largely created the wonderful English countryside that we all enjoy.
I've never drowned a puppy in my life and yes I'm a trophy hunter - I support FGR.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 am

paulK wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

ok so that's history. And now?

Until FGR incorporated them as a principle charity, Sea Shepherd was little known.
Around that time Sea Shepherd targeted footballers in their environmental campaign.
Many disagrees with the method [The Grind] that the Faroe community hunts whales in their coastal water, but every body must acknowledge it has been going on for hundreds of years and the whale meat feeds the community throughout the year.
But for Sea Shepherd activists to target individuals because they play football is deplorable. All they have done is hardened attitudes of those within the Faroe community.
Sea Shepherd should have targeted the Faroe/Danish government and not used naive bullying tactic against working people.
For that one reason FGR should not have them as chosen charity but perhaps GreenPeace instead.

Sea Shepherd video of Grind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNpNL7y1eNc
Also watch following videos that offer alternate opinion by residents of Faroe.

ps I support campaigns to stop The Grind but not that by Sea Shepherd.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team