Exciting Leeds United defender Liam Kitching signs for FGR

All about our First Team

Exciting Leeds United defender Liam Kitching signs for FGR

Postby FGR_Media » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Defender Liam Kitching has become Forest Green Rovers’ latest summer signing after joining from Championship Leeds United.

The 19-year-old has penned at three-year-deal at The New Lawn to become the eighth addition of the window.

Reaction from Liam and Mark here: https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/july-2019/si ... ns-for-fgr
FGR_Media
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Exciting Leeds United defender Liam Kitching signs for F

Postby Norton Boy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Looks a good signing,left footed as well and tall.3 year deal suggests Coops sees good things in him.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Looks a great signing a natural replacement for MCGinley should he be out of the team or progresses to the next level
Great that he has played a whole season in the National league at such a young age and made the play offs.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby It is now » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:14 pm

There are suggestions that we have paid 6 figures for him which is very unusual for FGR and for a player who hadn’t made a league appearance. So they must think very highly of him and by securing a three year deal see him in the same class as Pinnock & McGinley with a potential sell on value
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Delighted with this - welcome Liam Kitching

So we have a second 'Liam of Defence'. No doubt the sale of Jordan Stephens opened up some contacts let alone the Cooper heritage? Bit of a trademark for FGR regarding fine left sided defenders - Nicholson, Stokes, Pinnock, plus Nathan & Joe

As with last season, quiet work in the transfer market but a high quality signing. And another crop of young players who may yet earn us a good return if they are pinched. Liam Kerching maybe?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:27 pm

All looks well in my eyes. Loads of young potential bursting to shine now.

As an aside, hope McCoulsky can get full time starts this season and to show off his "out-jump the opposition's defence", goal heading skills.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Surprised at the lack of posts to this news.

Looks like a promising signing and a three year contract means the club is future proofed should someone come a calling.

Welcome to the club Liam.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm

I don’t see how anyone can judge how good a signing it is without knowing the financial details. He may be a great prospect for 50p but not so great for £50 million.

Assuming the financial deal was fair then I wish him the best of luck.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby gooseman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Seems like a decent signing for me. Got a National League season under his belt with Harrogate, who play decent football. Its the three year contract which stands out. That's a hell of a contract to offer a 19 year old. That is why I believe we paid a Leeds a 6 figure sum. as a previous poster insinuated. Hopefully, the Mills brother can assist with his development.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Brilliant!! Welcome Liam :D
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:All looks well in my eyes. Loads of young potential bursting to shine now.

As an aside, hope McCoulsky can get full time starts this season and to show off his "out-jump the opposition's defence", goal heading skills.

no truth in the rumour then that McCoulsky has left training camp after he adorned the national press to pursue a career as a professional model ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 pm

after the exciting week last week, i am excited that this week FGR have signed an exciting defender.

It got me thinking who was the last exciting defender that FGR signed ?

I came up with Eddie Oshodi as being in the exciting category.
Maybe closely followed by Manne Monthe albeit he was often exciting for the wrong reasons.

3 year contract for Kitching-how could he possibly say no and must be good, .I would be very happy for him as a defender to curtail the excitng bit and just hoof it into row Z .

wish him well
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Quite a few posts on here about McGinley and how good he is .
Rightly so
I agree, but i would say that Farrend Rawson whilst marginally older ,is just as good and arguably -even better
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:31 am

Leeds are renowned for bringing on a lot of talented kids, and they now have a consistent coaching ethos throughout their set up, from Bielsa and their head of recruitment Orta down. This means all their youngsters are coached to be comfortable on the ball, play in flexible high energy systems and play good football out from the back. Very similar to what we're aspiring towards, so pretty sure any youngster coming here from Leeds will fit in to our style/approach very well. Kitching seems highly rated by Leeds fans who watch their development games, so this looks a good signing.

We're developing a reputation as a club that plays differently to most other league 2 sides, in a style more commonly seen at higher levels which seems to be attracting technically gifted youngsters who have come through bigger clubs to chose to come here.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 am

michael wrote:Quite a few posts on here about McGinley and how good he is .
Rightly so
I agree, but i would say that Farrend Rawson whilst marginally older ,is just as good and arguably -even better

Both are good. I’m assuming we have Liam for three years so he can slot into McGinleys place when he leaves for something bigger (assuming he continues to develop).

Joe Mills and Shephard have also been very good signings
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I listened to LK's interview last night. Sounds like a well grounded bloke.

Good news and welcome to FGR.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Timb wrote:I listened to LK's interview last night. Sounds like a well grounded bloke.

I did as well Tim I thought for a 19 year old he spoke well and seemed to know what he wants and what is expected of him. Do we have another Ethan Pinock in our hands ?
Charlie5football
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NeilC » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm

Charlie5football wrote:
Timb wrote:I listened to LK's interview last night. Sounds like a well grounded bloke.

I did as well Tim I thought for a 19 year old he spoke well and seemed to know what he wants and what is expected of him. Do we have another Ethan Pinock in our hands ?

It may not be fair on him, but given the fee paid, his Leeds pedigree and Ethan’s success, expectations are probably much higher?
NeilC
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR_Media » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Any mention of a six-figure-fee for this deal is completely wide of the mark, as we told our local media when asked the question on the day of the signing.
FGR_Media
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:03 am

[quote="michael"]after the exciting week last week, i am excited that this week FGR have signed an exciting defender.

It got me thinking who was the last exciting defender that FGR signed ?

I came up with Eddie Oshodi as being in the exciting category.
Maybe closely followed by Manne Monthe albeit he was often exciting for the wrong reasons.
/quote]

Maybe out two wing-backs?
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team