Bid for Peterborough striker Matty Stevens rejected

All about our First Team

Re: Bid for Peterborough striker Matty Stevens rejected

Postby Tommo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:04 am

michael wrote:returning to the main theme of the thread and the good ensuing debate about how many/how good/do FGR need more strikers -is the salient point here ,that MC has felt it appropriate/necessary to make a bid -supported by DV- for another striker-so he obviously thinks FGR do.
Add to that the mild chastising comments after swindon smarine game, and the consistent theme from last season, that FGR forwards must put more chances away .

Thanks for getting us back to the initial point. I still hope MC gets his man. But it’s been a good debate and now we have to wait and see.

On ratios the BBC Top Scorers page under each team page has some good data.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:52 pm

In many ways I find all this stuff on the forum a little bemusing. Worries about Brown & Doidge going; the quality of signings etc etc.

Personally and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect whatever, Doidge going is a positive in my books. Ok, so we seem to be going for another striker but to be honest, we seem to have a lot of talent just waiting to be unleashed.

I take the point that MC seems to be wanting another but lets face it, decent talent is rarely available at a decent price and maybe he is just trying to seize an opportunity. The squad still looks a couple short on numbers but to me it looks strong enough and exciting enough for next season.

Defence seems strong and with the new Mills brother installed it looks to have the potential to be stronger than last year already.

Mid-fielders/defenders who can score from free kicks? Why? We didn't need them last year. Ok so Reece was one of our free-kick experts but what about Mills J,, Grubb and Williams? And who knows about the newcomers.

Sure, we need someone to step into Reece's shoes but then again, we only had him in that form for a season. If anybody does step in and does well, how long will we be able to keep them before the higher divisions come sniffing. I guess it'll all be back to doom and gloom when they move on?

I am genuinely excited to see the new squad in action, but won't be able to until next week when I'm back from holiday. Far from MC being a manager whose teams underperform as some may opine, IMO he seems to develop unproven, at EFL2 levels, talent well.

COYR
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:43 am

I agree with most of your points ,but maybe worth remembering that if we didn't have all this stuff that bemuses you/debate/opinions we would not actually have a forum .
Because some of view an opinion that is not 100% happy clappy ,i don't think that immediately confines it to the doom and gloom category

Maybe one thing many of us are guilty of-and i include myself- when looking at potential gaps/shortfalls in the current squad is that we try and replicate last seasons squad ,and hence we all want a Brown and Doidge (as you say at his best ) play-a -like ?

A bit of stuff going on about needing a creative midfielder (replicating Brown) but chances can be created via other routes to goal

There can be just as good/effective/game winning players -but they play differently-and its MC's job to find the system that best suits the players to bring success .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:47 pm

michael wrote:I agree with most of your points ,but maybe worth remembering that if we didn't have all this stuff that bemuses you/debate/opinions we would not actually have a forum .

point taken :) :lol:
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team