Match Thread from The Webbswood Stadium (Swindon Super)

All about our First Team

Re: Match Thread from The Webbswood Stadium (Swindon Super)

Postby FGRinUSA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:44 pm

lovejoy2 wrote:The extra defender who is wearing 36 does not look like Dan Jones unless we have another Jones in the youth team. The one trialist playing is wearing No 3 and playing right wing back.

There is, Isaiah Jones. He’s a defender and was posted about on the Twitter account I believe last week as being man of the match for the first Academy friendly.
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRinUSA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:46 pm

lovejoy2 wrote:Other trialist must be the left back wearing 4 this half. The front 3’s each half a little lopsided. Collins who looks along with McCoulsky the natural central striker played deep and wide in first half and didn’t do much. Mondal playing central this half. Swapping those 2 would give better balance

How did Taylor Allen look? Sounded promising from the write ups on Twitter.
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby lovejoy2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Allen looked very good probably the best forward and best of the new signings. Scored a good goal and had 2/3 other good efforts
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRinUSA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:53 pm

lovejoy2 wrote:Allen looked very good probably the best forward and best of the new signings. Scored a good goal and had 2/3 other good efforts

That’s great to hear. I remember hearing when we signed him that he turned down offers from teams in higher leagues.
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Full Time:

Swindon Supermarine 1 - 2 Forest Green

Goals : McCoulsky and Allen

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Are you seeing things Lovejoy ??
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:54 pm

To be fair we all thought Willos shot went in but it was side netting Handbags at the end between Winny and their no16 who was a very unhappy boy,didn't see what it was about but the ref spoke to their player twice telling him to calm down.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:12 pm

A pleasant afternoon at Swindon Supermarine.
A good run-out for the squad - I was impressed with the first half contribution from James Morton. Really good distribution from mid-field with time on the ball too. A touch Pinnock-esk at times perhaps
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Head Honcho » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Taylor Allen didn't look like a 17 year old - was composed for his goal and worked hard up front.

Liam Kitching looks like a real find. Playing alongside Matt Mills (who was guiding him through as senior CB partner) he grew more confident as the first half progressed. Initial impressions is he could be a class above (a la Ethan Pinnock).

James Morton linked well with Winny, particularly for the third quarter of the game.

The striking combinations did look slightly odd: McCoulsky, Allen and Collins similar style, then followed by Williams, Grubb and Mondal. Will be interesting to see which combinations Coops uses through the PSFs.

A good workout and Supermarine are a lovely, friendly club - good luck to them this season!
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Morton played the second half Stanman,did you mean Dawson?All these new names take some getting used to.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tom FGR » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:If they wanted you, or anyone else to know, then they would name them wouldn't they.

LM

People are going to be curious about which players could potentially be joining their team. No need to be so hostile!
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:53 pm

notwithstanding your fair point-did any of the triallists impress ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Head Honcho » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

michael wrote:notwithstanding your fair point-did any of the triallists impress ?

In the second half, the trialist (#4) playing on the left looked tidy and worth looking at again.

In the first half, Dom Bernard (recently released by Birmingham City/ played on loan for Aldershot last season) played out wide on the right. Again looked decent. Wondered whether we've already signed him as his name was used, rather than "Trialist"!

Not a trialist, but Isiah Jones, our academy defender played the first half. Looked a little nervous and was physically bullied a couple of times but Supermarine's forwards, but did pretty well and look forward to seeing him take part in games like the Checkatrade along with the Dans (Jones and Ogunleye) and maybe other academy players like Lewis Spurrier. Looked a prospect for future seasons and hope he learnt a lot from today's experience. Good to see Coops blooding him today after Dan J played in the PSF against Cardiff in the week.
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:20 pm

First visit to Supermarine, seems a very friendly club, well organised with a tidy ground.

Never been a fan of PSF, but with so many new players they are intriguing. Wasn't positive who was who, but standout players to me were:

first half
- At the back, Matt Mills...authoratative, strong and experienced & youngsters Liam Kitching and Dom Bernard
- Midfield Dawson looked very capable
- Up front Taylor Allen impressed and Sean Mc looked quick and sharp

second half
- midfield, James Morton excellent - awareness, ability to pick out a good pass
- Willo looked on top of his game

They look have the makings of a good squad. I'm sure Coops will need the next three weeks to pick out the best eleven. At the moment I would only be sure of five to start.

Those moaning about recruitment should have been placated: we should be solid at the back, midfield promising and up front, once the players gel, there are goals there. Ideally I'd get another striker into the mix.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Norton Boy wrote:Morton played the second half Stanman,did you mean Dawson?All these new names take some getting used to.

Thanks Norton Boy - I meant to say "second half" and not the first. James Morton was who I was talking about though.
I agree with Pitchfork ; another proven striker of some league experience would be an ideal final addition - if we can find anyone & if they are affordable!
Last edited by stanman on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Tom FGR wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:If they wanted you, or anyone else to know, then they would name them wouldn't they.

LM

People are going to be curious about which players could potentially be joining their team. No need to be so hostile!

Sorry wasn't trying to be hostile but clubs use traillists to see whether they are potentially good enough to join the club. What they don't want is other clubs knowing what they are doing in case they try and grab the same player themselves.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Was he 6' 7" tall and the opposite to stretch? :lol:
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Head Honcho wrote:
Not a trialist, but Isiah Jones, our academy defender played the first half. Looked a little nervous and was physically bullied a couple of times but Supermarine's forwards, but did pretty well and look forward to seeing him take part in games like the Checkatrade along with the Dans (Jones and Ogunleye) and maybe other academy players like Lewis Spurrier. Looked a prospect for future seasons and hope he learnt a lot from today's experience. Good to see Coops blooding him today after Dan J played in the PSF against Cardiff in the week.

I see Dan Ogunleye scored twice again today.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby UPtheGreen » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm

How did smith do ?
UPtheGreen
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Head Honcho » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:32 pm

UPtheGreen wrote:How did smith do ?

One decent save made when Supermarine had a good opportunity and looked a physically-imposing presence. Short-range distribution okay, longer-range a bit off (and something to develop to fit our style of play). Difficult to really tell as not that busy.
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team