Charlton Athletic v FGR: match forecast

All about our First Team

Charlton Athletic v FGR: match forecast

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 pm

[Apologies for early posting of match forecast but I will be busy over weekend and game is on Tuesday]

History

Charlton was founded on 10 June 1905, turned professional in 1920 and first entered the Football League in 1921.

Known as The Addicks they were the first club to ever gain successive promotions from the Third Division to the First Division in years 1934 to 1936.
They were the most consistent team in the top flight of English football over the three seasons immediately before the Second World War. In 1937, Charlton finished runners up in the First Division, in 1938 finished fourth and 1939 finished third.

This continued during the war years when they won the Football League War Cup and appeared in finals.

Charlton reached the 1946 FA Cup Final, but lost 4–1 to Derby County at Wembley.
Charlton's Bert Turner scored an own goal in the eightieth minute before equalising for the Addicks a minute later to take them into extra time, but they conceded three further goals in the extra period.
When the full league programme resumed in 1946–47 Charlton could finish only 19th in the First Division, just above the relegation spots, but won the 1947 FA Cup Final, beating Burnley 1–0.

During this period Charlton became one of only thirteen English football teams to average over 40,000 as their attendance during a full season.
The Valley was the largest football ground in the League, drawing crowds in excess of 70,000.

However, in the 1950s little investment was made either for players or to The Valley, hampering the club's growth. Charlton were relegated in 1957 and suffered further relegation in 1972.
Since then they had had a succession of promotions and relegations. They went into administration in 1984 and were forced to play at Selhurst Park, home of Crystal Palace where they were promoted and played four seasons in top division.

1997–98 was Charlton's best season for years. They reached the Division One playoff final against Sunderland in a thrilling game which ended with a 4–4 draw after extra time.
Charlton won 7–6 on penalties, with the match described as "arguably the most dramatic game of football in Wembley's history", and were promoted to the Premier League.
They were subsequently relegated and again promoted in 2000 to Premiership.
In 2006 they were relegated and suffered a further relegation to Tier 3 in 2009.
Promoted as Champions in 2012 Charlton recorded their highest ever league points score of 101, the highest in any professional European league that year.

Charlton were again relegated in season 2015-16 and remained in Tier 3 for three years until promoted in May via a 2-1 play-off victory against Sunderland.

Form
Former Charlton midfielder and England player Lee Bowyer has been Charlton manager since March 2018. He has managed them for 69 games with 37 wins, 13 draws and 19 losses [53.6% win record].
In their one match this season they secured a 2-1 away win at Blackburn Rovers. On Saturday they are home to Stoke.

My forecast: 0-2 loss.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Charlton Athletic v FGR: match forecast

Postby michael » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Its the carabao cup against a championship club and the season has hardly got going .

I wonder whether FGR dispatch scouts to Charltons game v Stoke to see what they are up against on tuesday ,or do they just 'hope for the best' and make a few phone calls ;as i suspect charlton will make 5 changes to their saturday side anyway .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Charlton 1 - Forest Green 0. I will be there
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:28 pm

My first game of the season. My daughter works 18 mins away so I forecast a few beers before the game with a few FGR fans. Probably emphasis on the few.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am

for me-this is the most important of all of the august games .

need a win , cup progression to get money and fame .

lose a league game or three -and you can still recover.
you only get one chance in the cup.
draw though -could have done with an easier one !
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:50 am

"Need a win" Easier said then done away at a Championship club!

The EFL cup is a tough one to do well in for a league 2 club, as it's almost certain you will come up against a higher division club in one of the first two rounds. In our 2 seasons in it we've gone out AET v a L1 club in the 1st round, and then lost on penalties away in the 2nd round to another L1 club last season. Decent effort, but not much progress in either year.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Thommo999 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 am

Fgr to lose 2-0 unfortunately but will play well
Thommo999
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Charlton 4 FGR 0.

We will play our subs in this and Charlton are doing really well in the Championship already. I can see us having our backs to the wall throughout. Its unlucky to be drawn away against such a strong side so early and we can only get some minutes into those who haven't had many so far and do our best. I think our ciurrent best will fall woefully short I'm afraid.

I'm still looking forward to the trip though and, who knows, I may be totally wrong and, indeed, probably and hopefully, will be.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:06 pm

A lot will depend on the Charlton selection. If Bowyer plays most of his first team then we will get well and truly beaten. Probably a 3 a 4 nil defeat. If he rests half his first team will still lose but only by the odd goal.
If Rawson did receive concussion yesterday, he'll be out for at least several games. Winchester also picked up a knock and unlikely to play. Shepard could make a small cameo appearance for the last 10 minutes. Wouldn't be surprised if the Wollacott gets a game between the sticks.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Charlton 3 FGR 0. Stevens to score. Joker.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Charlton 3 FGR 0. Stevens to score.

An own goal? :shock:
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stewjackhannah » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:12 pm

charlton 2 fgr 1 - stevens
stewjackhannah
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:25 pm

CAFC 3 FGR 1. Mondal
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:30 pm

CAFC 2 FGR 1
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only known collective of football poets in the World" BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16500 football poems published.
Football Poets http://footballpoets.org & https://www.facebook.com/FootballPoets/
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby DominicH » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Particularly difficult to forecast these types of games, as one presumes Charlton will play not all of their usual First Team players. And our injury worries might compel us to do likewise...

Anyway, sorry to be a pessimist, but lose: 2-0.
DominicH
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:06 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:Charlton 3 FGR 0. Stevens to score.

An own goal? :shock:

Silver Surfer is covering both his options.
He gets a point if Stevens scores and possibly another five if [alas] Charlton win.
For the rest of us who forecast that Charlton will keep a clean sheet, we'll get a point for 'no scorer'.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Head Honcho » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Loss. 2-4. Stevens to score.
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Where are we going to meet before the game ?.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:20 pm

DominicH wrote:Particularly difficult to forecast these types of games, as one presumes Charlton will play not all of their usual First Team.

Apparently right: https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/char ... eague-cup/
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 pm

2-1 Stevens
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team