Back three for Saturday

All about our First Team

Back three for Saturday

Postby Bobby Vincent GL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Cooper confirms both Rawson and Shephard are out on Saturday. With Rawson out, who would you go with as the back three? I thought Liam Kitching played well on Tuesday (despite a clumsy challenge for the penalty). Preview below...

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... by-3216016
Bobby Vincent GL
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Back three for Saturday

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Ideally you want a right footed player there, so I would probably go with Godwin-Malife and leave McGinley on the left of the back 3. Either that or go for a 4-2-3-1.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I would definitely do a straight swap of G-M for Rawson and leave Mills and McG as they were. Kitching has been ok and he looked particularly good in the middle on Tuesday but let’s have G-Ms and McGs runs and G-Ms passing which was a revelation on Tuesday
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRinUSA » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 pm

G-M for Rawson. And when MC was asked at the press conference about how good Kitching has been, he immediately brought up G-M as well which I think hints that he thinks just as highly of him. Kitching would be a sub for M. Mills or McGinley. If Joe Mills were to come off I think McGinley would go to his spot and Kitching at left center back.

Either way, I think our defensive depth looks outstanding. There isn’t one of those guys I would hesitate to have starting a match. Not to even mention Shep, who can take his time coming back and is a great player as well.
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Head Honcho » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Would certainly hand the starting spot to Dokes - as a right footer he would bring a better balance to the back three with Nathan on the left of Matt Mills. Depends on whether Coops wants a more physical presence (Kitching) or speed (Dokes). Either of these two young players is good enough.

At some point, one of the back three is going to be injured whilst another has a suspension. We need all of Dokes, Rawson, Mills, Kitching and McGinley ready to go. I do still wonder about why we let go of Digby, who, as an emergency centre back as well as midfielder, could have provided cover if the worst happens.
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Ant76 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Head Honcho wrote:Would certainly hand the starting spot to Dokes - as a right footer he would bring a better balance to the back three with Nathan on the left of Matt Mills. Depends on whether Coops wants a more physical presence (Kitching) or speed (Dokes). Either of these two young players is good enough.

At some point, one of the back three is going to be injured whilst another has a suspension. We need all of Dokes, Rawson, Mills, Kitching and McGinley ready to go. I do still wonder about why we let go of Digby, who, as an emergency centre back as well as midfielder, could have provided cover if the worst happens.

Bernard can also play in the back three, so he’s a sixth option, especially once Shephard is fit (and even before that as Winchester could play wingback if necessary).
Ant76
Youth
Youth

Postby dursleydog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:45 am

G-M is the natural fit for that right sided can spot and played well v Charlton. Kitching is very much a left sided cb and gave me the jitters v Charlton especially diving in needlessly for the pen. He’s clearly got quality but still settling into first team football for now. Next season I expect he’ll be settled in ready to replace McGinley when he follows Pinnock to the Championship
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby BroughtonPowell » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:30 am

I've been pretty impressed with G-M and he is very quick plus being right footed - puts him in that back three with M.Mills and Nathan.

Thats a very good back three, and one that Rawson might find difficult to get back into if G-M passes as well as he defends.

I'm not fully confident in Kitching yet - needs a bit more time to get used the the system, something that G-M has had the luxury of.

So much greta young talent coming through the ranks, its an exciting time to watch FGR and see the young players developing.
BroughtonPowell
Trainee
Trainee

Postby T50 BOS » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am

Having watched the game at Walsall when Coops pushed Nathan our best left sided defender (in a back 3) over to the right it meant we looked really disjointed at times whereas making a straight switch of Dokes for Faz seems to me a much better option for tomorrow especially as he played so well at Charlton.
Kitching's time will come - but on the left please when Joe or Nathan not available or rested.
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:38 pm

BroughtonPowell wrote:I

Thats a very good back three, and one that Rawson might find difficult to get back into if G-M passes as well as he defends.

I think you are right that Rawson May no longer be s shoe in for the back three. Funny, after Tuesday last week I thought G-M would keep Rawson out of the team if he defended as well as he passed. :)

G-M fits what MC wants from his wider CBs in a back three.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:59 pm

In the nicest possible way ,G-M seems to have added a fair bit of muscle /bulk -indeed -even since this pre-season-,which seems to have helped ,but equally seems to have got an inch or two shorter .-which is even odder .
No argument with him being M-of m today -that will do his confidence/progression the power of good -but Adams-equally impressive imo.

digresses from back 3 -but shout out to Dale Grubb--never overly impressed me -a bit one dimensional -but whilst only one half-impressed me to day-seems to have broadened his game a bit and moved the ball-either by passing-or taking it himself - quicker than anyone .pleased for him-and long may it continue .He perhaps made the difference in second half -a good substitution by MC-but Grubb seized the opportunity .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:10 am

We only have a need for one centre-back so that is naturally between Faz & Mills.

I'd rather see 4 at the back with a faz/mills pairing. Preferably 4-2-3-1 else 4-3-3. Or at least, see how it goes. But I'm not Coops ;)
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 am

paulK wrote:We only have a need for one centre-back so that is naturally between Faz & Mills.

Yes, I think that’s right. With Kitching also able to play that position if necessary as he did last Tuesday. We are strong in the centre of defence
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team