Match thread from The New Lawn (Grimsby Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Grimsby Town)

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Agree with others - several shades of the Cowley boys tactics out there today with Waterfall being the ring leader. Hanson will be a threat to teams at this level and I thought overall M Mills did a great job on him. When his two opportunities did come they fortunately fell to his feet and not his head.

At times though it felt like a re-run of the opening game against Oldham ..... fortunately with a good substitution giving the same outcome !!

We are definitely looking a solid unit just need to take a few more risks in getting the ball forward quicker and I think we have the players to find the net if we do !
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:13 pm

We look like a very decent side but I can’t shake the feeling we haven’t come close to replacing Brown and that lack of midfield creativity may cost us against the better sides in this division. We’ve got a decent enough set of forwards who are living off scraps.

That said, the quality or our defence means even the best sides in this league won’t enjoy playing us this year, and as previously mentioned for a young side we have a hell of a lot of fight and bottle to keep going and get the result.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby greenstripe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Two wins out of two at home, that form already looking so much better than last season.

The side does have a make shift feel about it, but learning on the job whilst collecting the points. Another good result today, well done.
Anjuna fam
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Green Devil » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm

A win is a win so well done on getting the three points but for me, I have to disagree with the majority and say that I thought that was a turgid performance. I get the possession football thing and the patience in trying to bring players out or break them down, but it really calls for intensity and decisive passing and here we were lacking. So often in control at the back but repeatedly we failed to make urgent use of width with both Joe Mills and Dom Bernard marauding forward in space. Equally when it did get to them, more often than not it came backwards. Dom is a major culprit here. As if to emphasise my point, the one occasion he took the opposite stance, he combined well with Junior and a goal was the result.

I don’t mean to be over critical but I can’t help thinking we make it harder than it should be. Sure we have another team in front of us but we need to get our heads up and be more slick. Our forwards made many runs but to no avail. Hence I suppose why we miss Reece.

Top of the table, what’s not to like.
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:33 pm

dursleydog wrote:We look like a very decent side but I can’t shake the feeling we haven’t come close to replacing Brown and that lack of midfield creativity may cost us against the better sides in this division. We’ve got a decent enough set of forwards who are living off scraps.

That said, the quality or our defence means even the best sides in this league won’t enjoy playing us this year, and as previously mentioned for a young side we have a hell of a lot of fight and bottle to keep going and get the result.

This is closest to my view so far and agree too that Dawson had a good game (he's a bit like James and does a lot of decent work - interceptions, tackles - largely unnoticed imo) and that Grimsby were awkward and Lincoln like (especially when the goalie went down on 65 minutes as scripted).

Well done again the youngsters. Adams, Godwin-Malife (good MotM choice) and McCoulsky made errors but they worked incredibly hard and some of the passing was excellent. Not enough of it is in the opposition third and we don't get the ball into the box enough (especially Bernard) but as long as we get the results from the patient passing, I'm onside with this although we do need to vary things a bit and be a bit quicker.

Grimsby will beat a lot of teams this season and we beat them! What's not to like (haha - ditto GD)?
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Agree with others - several shades of the Cowley boys tactics out there today

There was even the old “injury” to the keeper routine so everyone could get a drink!

Tim
Tim13
First Team
First Team

Postby gooseman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:36 pm

If you want excitement, then avoid FGR in the first half. That has to be the most abject 45 minutes I have witnessed in along time. Devoid of any positivity ,the ball was passed back and sideways but never went anywhere. Must be a record but we had a throw in 2 meters from the Grimsby corner flag and we managed to get it back to the goalkeeper within 10 seconds. At one stage it felt like a preseason friendly. The final straw was the sarcastic applause from the crowd when the goalkeeper received the ball again and again.
Second half, the first 2 minutes provided more ambition than the previous 45. Grubb replaced Stevens. Grimsby should have scored twice. Hanson missed an absolute sitter and also had a good chance with a header. The goal came about when Bernard finally got the ball across the 6 yard line and Mondel drilled in the goal. Grimsby huffed and puffed for the last 15 minutes but never looked like scoring.
On the plus side, we have still only conceded the once which means that we have the chance of getting points. However, the forward play just looks blunt and creativity lacking.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Very happy with the 4 results so far - second round of the cup and riding high in the league. It's only pointless looking at the table for Oldham, for us 7 points is a solid foundation on which to build.

Grimsby will be one of the better teams this season and we coped with their tactics and physicality. As others have said, shades of Lincoln but today, fortunately for us, they couldn't put the ball into the net. It wasn't a straightforward match for ref, Leigh Dougherty, but once again I thought the officials should have been firmer in their reaction to foul play. James Hanson is a huge unit and confident in the air, but clearly not a talented with his feet.

FGR players were patient... and our fans as well. The first half was tedious at times, but we completely dominated possession and never looked in danger of conceding. We were very confident in the first two thirds, but couldn't seem to produce those incisive passes to our frontmen.

Second half was more open, more shots on goal especially from Grimsby. The subs livened up the game, Grubb proved a capable link man and Mondal injected some pace and creativity in and around the area.

We missed the awareness of Morton, but the midfield didn't do much wrong...they just lacked ambition at times. Winchester and Dawson both worked hard and their presence in the team was needed today. Udo & Ebou were my standout performers but McGinley & Mills Bros again put in almost faultless displays. Udo would have been my MOTM

I do like beating Grimsby, I applaud clean sheets and I love our position in the division. Most important this team are learning and I have every confidence they will improve as the season evolves. Four points from our two away games this coming week would satisfy me.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRinUSA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:49 pm

I don’t think we will have a first 11 this season. Like MC has said the team will be picked based on the game. The key is we have the depth to do this and it will be good for keeping everyone involved. I hate rotating just to rotate but when you are bringing on different types of quality players that really has to be a manager’s dream.

I do think we lacked a little creativity without any winger or No. 10 types in the first half but the subs certainly made the difference.
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 pm

A win is a win, 3 points, clean sheet, injury free ( hopefully ), a boost for confidence, equal 2nd in the table tonight, and several good performances in our ranks. Very well done to all those who contributed, and bring on the next one!.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:11 pm

I thought we were excellent today. Our young team were strong and brave against a big strong and often over physical Grimsby. In the past we would be bullied out of these games and lose.
We switched back to a 343 2nd half after a 352 first half. We grew in confidence that we could hold them out and added a bit more threat going forward. We basically did the same as against Oldham but Grimsby were a much bigger test. Passed it around them, wore them out and then scored the goal. A perfect performance and we will get better going forward as the season progresses. Very proud of the team today.
I thought Adams was outstanding and gives us a great problem in Midfield in that any 2 of Dawson, Winnie, Adams or Morton could play and not weaken the team.
Praise to for MC who got the selection spot on by bringing Adams in to midfield knowing we needed the extra power in there.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:34 pm

My first home match of the season. Watching Matt Mills and Dokes play ping pong was not entertaining.

My man of the match was Ebou Adams. very good indeed apart from a couple of misplaced passes mid way in the second half.

Beer was good. Smiling on the way back to the smoke.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Coops on win, changing the game with subs and style of play.

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... joint-top/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Dougal » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Pleased with the performance and the win.

Totally agree with the sponsors man of the match. Easily best player after just 25 mins. Solid and positive. Well played!

Agree shades of Lincoln. They were 5 mins early with the keeper "injury" and didn't give enough grief to 4th official!

Adams and Dawson played well. Please with keeper choice too. Better distribution.

Would like to see Barnard get a cross in sometimes, rather than always cutting back inside.

Deserved win, but worrying lack of movement for much of the match. Mills senior and Nath were often waiting for a run or someone to pass to.

Overall its a great start to the season. Solid team and looks like we won't be a pushover for anyone!
Dougal
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Spot on Lovejoy. MC is doing a great job atm.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Once agian, I was underwhelmed before the game even started. I didn't believe the 3-4-2-1 published on the latest scores web-site and Winnie confirmed my suspicion by settling into the back of midfield from the off.

I guess Coops has abandoned ideas of playing 3-4-3 and gone back to 3-5-2 minus a number 10 or any attacking mid-fielders (unless I'm missing something). Anyway, the first half lived up to its potential.

Around 76% possession, three times the number of passes compared to our opposition and a pass rate in the upper 80's. Stats that might suggest domination, tho' truth be told, Grimsby had more shots and were more exciting going forwards. They even got a shot on target, which was more than we could muster.

I can only guess it was similar to last week. I had my usual view instead of behind the goal where trying to gauge what is going on can be problematic. The passing was actually enjoyable in many ways. That was until we got near their box.

Again, it wasn't that we were playing badly. In fact, if there was one thing that stood out for me it was how our young bloods coped with the physicality of Grimsby. Their philosophy seemed to be that if a player was between them and the ball just steamroller over.

How Winnie got a card for whatever it was and it stayed glued in the refs pocket when 20 fouls went the other way is beyond me. 20 is a pretty high hit-rate.

I'm not sure why Grubbie came on for Stevens. It wasn't as tho' the latter was playing badly. Simply starved of service, as our forwards were last week. And to give Grubbie his due, he was willing to take defenders on and whilst he might have lost a few trying to drive few at least he was trying. Overall his link-up play is a vast improvement on the faded-Grubbie we saw in the latter parts of last season.

It was significant that the game changed when Junior came on and it was switched to 3-4-2-1. At last, we had some attacking mid-field alongside Grubbie and at last there was a glimmer of hope we could get something out of the game. The goal he picked up, running into the box, was unlikely to have been picked up by our more defensive minded midfielders.

The other notable thing compared to last week is that our forwards pressed, it seemed even more so than last week. This prevented Grimsby getting into the kind of rhythm they had found going forwards towards the end of the first half. Whilst we could easily have been pegged back by a sitter, we certainly weren't inviting Grimsby to come at us.

So, overall a solid defensive performance. Mills M would have been my man of the match. Whilst Dokes was good, I honestly don't remember a forward pass from him.

There is still the potential there from all. Perhaps there could be some more quicker/one-touch passing. We tend to stutter because when we break swiftly, the ball goes to a player who doesn't seem sure what to do with it. Of course, that comes with experience and, as Coops would say, risk but we all - well, most of us - appreciate players that go-for-it.

Whilst I though last week was a lucky draw, I wouldn't class this as a lucky win. Yes, they missed a couple of sitters, but the overall resilience of the defence and the attacking intent in the last 20 minutes swung it for me.

It might even have persuaded me not to miss the next couple of matches which, to be honest, went through my mind when I saw such a defensive line up again. Jury is still out but.....

COYR :D :D :D
Last edited by paulK on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm

All 3 league matches have been same pattern. A passive and boring first 45 minutes but a much more up-tempo second 45. Agree with other posters, Bernard either needs to attack the full back or get the ball into area quicker for the strikers. A very controlled performance from our boys today but need to be more incisive in last third of the pitch. Still a happy man tonight having watched a team with so much potential and feel that performances will get better and better as season progresses.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Ant76 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm

paulK wrote:Once agian, I was underwhelmed before the game even started. I didn't believe the 3-4-2-1 published on the latest scores web-site and Winnie confirmed my suspicion by settling into the back of midfield from the off.

I guess Coops has abandoned ideas of playing 3-4-3 and gone back to 3-5-2 minus a number 10 or any attacking mid-fielders (unless I'm missing something). Anyway, the first half lived up to its potential.

Around 76% possession, three times the number of passes compared to our opposition and a pass rate in the upper 80's. Stats that might suggest domination, tho' truth be told, Grimsby had more shots and were more exciting going forwards. They even got a shot on target, which was more than we could muster.

I can only guess it was similar to last week. I had my usual view instead of behind the goal where trying to gauge what is going on can be problematic. The passing was actually enjoyable in many ways. That was until we got near their box.

Again, it wasn't that we were playing badly. In fact, if there was one thing that stood out for me it was how our young bloods coped with the physicality of Grimsby. Their philosophy seemed to be that if a player was between them and the ball just steamroller over.

How Winnie got a card for whatever it was and it stayed glued in the refs pocket when 20 fouls went the other way is beyond me. 20 is a pretty high hit-rate.

I'm not sure why Grubbie came on for Stevens. It wasn't as tho' the latter was playing badly. Simply starved of service, as our forwards were last week. And to give Grubbie his due, he was willing to take defenders on and whilst he might have lost a few trying to drive few at least he was trying. Overall his link-up play is a vast improvement on the faded-Grubbie we saw in the latter parts of last season.

It was significant that the game changed when Junior came on and it was switched to 3-4-2-1. At last, we had some attacking mid-field alongside Grubbie and at last there was a glimmer of hope we could get something out of the game. The goal he picked up, running into the box, was unlikely to have been picked up by our more defensive minded midfielders.

The other notable thing compared to last week is that our forwards pressed, it seemed even more so than last week. This prevented Grimsby getting into the kind of rhythm they had found going forwards towards the end of the first half. Whilst we could easily have been pegged back by a sitter, we certainly weren't inviting Grimsby to come at us.

So, overall a solid defensive performance. Mills M would have been my man of the match. Whilst Dokes was good, I honestly don't remember a forward pass from him.

There is still the potential there from all. Perhaps there could be some more quicker/one-touch passing. We tend to stutter because when we break swiftly, the ball goes to a player who doesn't seem sure what to do with it. Of course, that comes with experience and, as Coops would say, risk but we all - well, most of us - appreciate players that go-for-it.

Whilst I though last week was a lucky draw, I wouldn't class this as a lucky win. Yes, they missed a couple of sitters, but the overall resilience of the defence and the attacking intent in the last 20 minutes swung it for me.

It might even have persuaded me not to miss the next couple of matches which, to be honest, went through my mind when I saw such a defensive line up again. Jury is still out but.....

COYR :D :D :D

With regard to Grubb coming on for Stevens, I think you answered your own question. It wasn’t because Stevens was playing badly, but he and McCoulsky were starved of service, so they brought on Grubb to fill the “number 10” areas and link the midfield and forward line. It was also noticeable that Dawson was deployed further forward after half-time, until he was replaced by Mondal (making two players operating in the “number 10” positions.
Ant76
Youth
Youth

Postby paulK » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm

FGRinUSA wrote:I don’t think we will have a first 11 this season. Like MC has said the team will be picked based on the game. The key is we have the depth to do this and it will be good for keeping everyone involved. I hate rotating just to rotate but when you are bringing on different types of quality players that really has to be a manager’s dream.

I do think we lacked a little creativity without any winger or No. 10 types in the first half but the subs certainly made the difference.

Whilst I definitely agree with the lack of creativity I'm not sure it is because of lack of wingers. We have two wing-backs. Both with their pro's & cons ;)

As for a No. 10, I'm not sure we have anyone to fill the void left by Reece. Whether someone will grow into the role I'm not sure, but as you point out, the introduction of attacking midfielders made a big difference.

I was puzzled why Coops stuck to the same sort of formation as Walsall when Charlton went so well. But as usual, he changed it around - luckily in time.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tom FGR » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:13 pm

I think we'll see this pattern throughout the season. We'll dominate possession with the intention of wearing out the opposition. In turn, this'll lead to a lot of second half goals and attacking in a controlled manner.

I thought we controlled the game excellently, sure Grimsby had a few half chances but I didn't sense any nerves from our lads

We've only conceded 1 goal in 4 games with several changes to our backline. Wolacott looks as though he'll our number 1 throughout the season, you have to wonder what's going through Smith's head at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on loan.

Admittedly, it did get frustrating at times with the lack of ambition on the ball, but given time we'll become much more fluid. First half was a tough watch, the gap between the forwards and midfield was too large, they quickly become very isolated. Coops recognised this and made the right change, managers rarely get the credit they deserve. Today he got it spot on with Grubb and Mondal.

Unusually, I don't think our goals will come from Mccoulsky/Stevens this year. They'll likely to be shared between the squad.

Onto Port Vale, a tricky test with a very physical front line. We'll need to be strong defensively again and wouldn't surprise me to see Rawson come back in to deal with their height advantage.
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team