Match thread from The New Lawn (Grimsby Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Grimsby Town)

Postby Head Honcho » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:I'm going to keep banging away at this foul count business.

Yesterday (as usual) we committed single figures - 8. Grimsby 20 including some weighty challenges. Yet the only booking was Winch, rightly for scotching a breakaway by deliberate obstruction

My conclusion remains the same too. A side that plays by the rules is not favoured by the officials. The FA wants all to promote the 'Respect' campaign. But perhaps it is time for the officials to encourage a side that does just that, over one that fouls persistently in the tackle - Grimsby, Charlton & Walsall. And the travesty v Tranmere in last season's play-offs was a disgrace

No wonder Coops gets hot under the collar

Winny was booked straight after Grimsby's Whitehouse took a deliberate kick out at one of one players (Dokes?) on the break, yet no action was taken. The intent to stop our player was far greater than Winny's indiscretion, but completely ignored. I don't dispute that Winny should have been booked, but Grimsby should have had at least three yellows, possibly more.
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:59 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:06 pm

He's not gone full Hockaday but does mention 'moments'
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Keep calm and carry on. The games are coming thick and fast.

We've managed a great start and 3 out of 4 clean sheets and that's top drawer.

We've ridden our luck a bit but then which team hasn't. That's league 2 for you.

I see us getting more confident not less confident but alongside that we will be pitched against stronger opposition every now and then. Quietly confident for the season.

Keep an eye out at all times for an overload. There was one time on Saturday when we moved it forward with players on the edge of the box with 4 maybe 5 Grimsby players behind the ball. But we still turned it back, through traffic shall we say. it would have been safer to strive forward in that particular instance. I'm sure it will come with the confidence and flair that surely exists in the squad.

Looking forward to Tuesday evening.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:21 pm

twinkletoes wrote:Don't agree with Charlie football that it was painful to watch but agree word for word with his last sentence about being more clinical around the 18 yard box.

Maybe did not explain myself in the way I meant in my post. I meant painful once we got to the edge of the box all that hard work keeping possession then we just do not use it enough.
Charlie5football
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Charlie5football » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:I'm going to keep banging away at this foul count business.

Yesterday (as usual) we committed single figures - 8. Grimsby 20 including some weighty challenges. Yet the only booking was Winch, rightly for scotching a breakaway by deliberate obstruction

My conclusion remains the same too. A side that plays by the rules is not favoured by the officials. The FA wants all to promote the 'Respect' campaign. But perhaps it is time for the officials to encourage a side that does just that, over one that fouls persistently in the tackle - Grimsby, Charlton & Walsall. And the travesty v Tranmere in last season's play-offs was a disgrace

No wonder Coops gets hot under the collar

Agree Chris but I thought the ref done ok yesterday yep think a couple of their players should have had a yellow but thought for once and excuse the pun but we had a fair rub of the "green" yesterday
Charlie5football
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:36 pm

I agree CsF.

a decent refereeing performance-seems to me Wichester deffo 'took one for the team' -absolute deserved booking -maybe even a sending off .
Some way out but a very dangerous breakaway it seemed to me.

Grimsby made a number of minor fouls to break up play.
Good luck to them-all part of the professional game.
(same as winchesters foul )
Players and supporters should expect that-livelihoods are at stake
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:05 pm

michael wrote:from the grimsby forum :

We really need a player like their no.14 adams

good to read-maybe FGR could also get another player like Ebou Adams -impressed me ystdy

He has really impressed me, could he be the next “Reece Brown” ?
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby paulK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:48 am

Ant76 wrote:
With regard to Grubb coming on for Stevens, I think you answered your own question. It wasn’t because Stevens was playing badly, but he and McCoulsky were starved of service, so they brought on Grubb to fill the “number 10” areas and link the midfield and forward line. It was also noticeable that Dawson was deployed further forward after half-time, until he was replaced by Mondal (making two players operating in the “number 10” positions.

Number 10 areas? Call me old-fashioned but a No 10's to me is a midfield playmakers behind the attack. They can also operate as a false "9". Grubbie doesn't exactly fit that IMO. I don't think we have a No 10 any more.

I did notice Dawson moving forward but again, round peg, square hole. Going 3-5-1-1 was hardly going to improve things much. We need more than 2 attacking players on the pitch. I just couldn't understand why Coops started by reverting to a defensive set-up that clung on for a draw after we did so well at Charlton.

Let's see what happens Tuesday, I guess.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby candy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:07 am

Lady Magpie wrote:
candy wrote:Well done to the fgr players keep passing that ball around .Making other team's worn out by half time
We need to break out to catch out our opponents more often I am happy with 7 points out of 10 points
so far this season. Tuesday's match against Port Vale will see how far we've come this season............. ;)

Think you will find it's 7 points out of 9 points candy. Three league matches with 3 points available in each. Sorry if it sounds as if I'm knit picking but I'm a stato so have to.

LM

Sorry LM thanks for putting it right 7 out of 9 points.That point might be the one point that could stop us from
going up, Lets hope not !!
candy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:30 am

Paul-K ?

why do you keep on about it being a defensive set up ?
what was defensive about the formation ?

What would an attacking line up be for you/your team for Port vale .
You may be right-i am simply curious since we all see things differently .

would you be advocating playing 3/4 strikers-mcC,stevens /allen/collins ?

That given- i would like to see Mondal start ,but maybe he does have an even bigger impact when coming on later, once the 'passing game' has worn a few players out .

somewhere on here there is a reference to Jolley saying the 'passing game' is mentally tough to play against .

Maybe us mere supporters are missing a trick here-i certainly did .
we perhaps think that because the passing game is relativley slow-its easy to defend against-
Perhaps physically it is.
Mentally- perhaps its hard as the defenders need to concentrate for longer periods at a time .
Perhaps they suffer mental exhaustion and that leads to errors later in a game.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:06 am

Dale Grubb certainly played behind the striker when he came on.

I thought it was an attacking line up that had an eye for keeping possession. Which we did most of the time.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 am

Mothy wrote:
SNJ Ash wrote:Match ratings. What do you guys think?

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... n-grimsby/

I think your 6 for Adams a bit low Ash. He was in contention from MOM imho

I agree. A bit generous for Stevens and Bernard too though the latter did assist the goal I suppose
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 am

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:02 pm

michael wrote:Paul-K ?

why do you keep on about it being a defensive set up ?
what was defensive about the formation ?

What would an attacking line up be for you/your team for Port vale .
You may be right-i am simply curious since we all see things differently .

would you be advocating playing 3/4 strikers-mcC,stevens /allen/collins ?

That given- i would like to see Mondal start ,but maybe he does have an even bigger impact when coming on later, once the 'passing game' has worn a few players out .

somewhere on here there is a reference to Jolley saying the 'passing game' is mentally tough to play against .

Maybe us mere supporters are missing a trick here-i certainly did .
we perhaps think that because the passing game is relativley slow-its easy to defend against-
Perhaps physically it is.
Mentally- perhaps its hard as the defenders need to concentrate for longer periods at a time .
Perhaps they suffer mental exhaustion and that leads to errors later in a game.

Coops suggested we would be playing 3-4-3 this season. Whilst we lined up with that for the first match, despite a purported 3-4-2-1 on footie websites, it has looked more like a 3-5-2 for Walsall & Grimsby

Last season, our 5 consisted of two wingbacks, a no. 10 and two defensive/holding midfielders. With Reece gone he has been replaced by a defensive midfielder.

Hence, one less attacking player plus a full-back being adapted into a wingback. No disrespect to Dom. He has some brilliant skills and maybe he'll get there, but at the moment it is not helping with lack of attacking intent in the line-up.

On Saturday, whilst we had 9 shots on goal, most of those came when we went 3-4-2-1. We only managed 3 at Walsall and one of those was a penalty. I'm puzzled why Coops went 160 minutes (in the league) trying something else when it seemed to be working and/or have potential against Oldham.

Saying it is hard to break down a defence doesn't cut it for me when those who might do so are left on the bench in numbers. I thought the last 20 minutes last Saturday the best so far this season.

I can imagine a passing game being mentally tough for the opposition, but not a great tactic if the plan is to spend 70 minutes wearing out the opposition and then putting on the pressure IMO.

Better still to play the passing game and make the opposition more nervous by attacking their goal.

For Port vale? 4-2-3-1 but it's never going to happen :) 3-4-2-1 would get me more enthused than I have been lately. As for who and substitution choices - leave it to Coops.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Against Oldham we had Williams/Mondal, Collins and McCoulsky on from the start, as well as Morton who is a good passer behind them, and Mills and Bernard pretty much playing as out and out wingers. That on paper is about as attacking as you can be without over doing it. If anything it left us a bit light in midfield, something we couldn't afford against Walsall and Grimsby. The same issues still arose though in that it's tough to play between the lines against a banked up defence, no matter how many attacking players you field, which lead to a pretty turgid first half as we had to be patient and play in front of them. Once Oldham tired a bit, the introduction of Allen and Stevens meant we could take advantage of having that little bit of extra space with fresh legs and lead to our winner. I noticed that coming off at the end of the game, Odham's players looked pretty shattered, a lot more so then our players did, which is possibly down to how much harder it can be to play without the ball. Wasn't there but to me it sounds like the same tactics were used against Grimsby, and also paid off.

In short, athough it isn't always going to be exciting, I would say perfecting this approach and making sure it's as low risk defensively as possible is going to be a unique challenge to most opposition at this level, and will therefore be pretty effective. Teams are going to have to concentrate very hard, and be clinical when they get the ball. Not something most league 2 teams are known for. No one will enjoy playing us.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm

You make good points, as always, Kentstripe, tho' the difference between Oldham & Grimsby is that it was the 70th minute on Saturday before we had the same sort of formation as the Oldham match - and we never had it at all at Walsall, just tried to hold on for a win. Which we didn't get.

You are right when you say how difficult it is to break down a banked defence. It was no different last season, but when teams are given the opportunity hold their shape because of a laborious build-up in front of them, even if it needs more mental strength, then that is always the case. I'd suggest getting through them is harder if you just have defensive mid-fielders with a tendency to pass sideways or backwards and not provide the necessary link-up play.

Also, we haven't gone a goal behind so far. I can imagine it is going to be even harder to get through an opposition who find themselves in that position.

All formations have their pro's and con's. It may also be necessary to change during the match - I see the latest scores website settled on us playing as 4-1-3-2 last Saturday and I can see why. Whatever. I got the impression Coops may have decided on 3-4-3 as we no longer have our midfield talisman. No doubt Port Vale and the sterner test at Bradford will go a big way to settling on a base formation.

We were a difficult side to score against last season; 3rd best defence. The worry for this season is whether we will continue our scoring record too; 5th best. I've yet to be convinced although there are glimmers! Still, 7 points so far ain't bad.

COYR
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Also, we haven't gone a goal behind so far. I can imagine it is going to be even harder to get through an opposition who find themselves in that position.

good point (lets hope we don't have to find out all season !!).

that given-set me thinking-how many times last season did FGR recover from a goal down to
a) draw
b ) win.

did FGR ever recover to salvage a point at least from 2 goals down last season ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:08 pm

michael wrote:
that given-set me thinking-how many times last season did FGR recover from a goal down to
a) draw
b ) win.

did FGR ever recover to salvage a point at least from 2 goals down last season ?

Comparing half-time scores to full-time sores in League 2 last season :
a) three times - MK Dons (Away) ; Cheltenham (Home) ; Mansfield (Home)
b) once - v Grimsby (Away)

FGR went on to win after drawing at half time in 8 games.
FGR went on to draw after drawing at half time in 7 games.
FGR went on to lose after drawing at half time in 6 games.

FGR went on to draw after losing at half time in 3 games (as above).

"did FGR ever recover to salvage a point at least from 2 goals down last season" - no, I think not.

To identify those games where these data relate to "any time" in games will take me rather longer to find out!
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team