Was the transfer window a success?

All about our First Team

Was the transfer window a success?

Postby SNJ Ash » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:22 am

FGR fan Chris Latham thinks the transfer window was a success. What do you think?

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... is-latham/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Was the transfer window a success?

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:05 pm

A tad early to say really.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Interesting question.

Like SS above-its early-but when is the time to make a judgement ?

Equally-how do you qualify success ?

i suspect many would say that if the team does not secure play offs at least-then it has not been successful.

-i have predicted a bottom quartile finish ,which could be interpreted as very poor/failure-but i would add that if these signings generate transfer income of £400k in the next TWO YEARS (and i m guessing but maybe for a summer outlay of £100K it has been an outstanding success ,so ii would be both failure and success depending how measured.

for me-the money side is the most important-this is simply a business who have an open day every other saturday ,(and occasionally midweek )where people pay money to watch a load of blokes kick a ball around a nice field. If the business adds value to its investments it is a success .

for those simply looking at league positions-,my gut feel is they are in for a difficult 9 months ,and although i am the only person predicting a lower half finish -i do not judge that as failure (although if relegation were to occur ,i would )

the only additional observation regarding the initial question is that (and we know that MC tells the occasional porky for strategic reasons ) at the end of last season,MC said he was expecting to get business done early and maybe there would be about 4/5 signings .

I have not counted up, but i think roughly by end of june-about 6 players had been signed ,and then there were 2/3 in july-so business was not done that early.
equally-by end of july-business had deffo 'been done'.Then about 3/4 more players were signed in august after season started ,which implies they were either investment opportunities too good to miss-or the early signings were not that great/successful.
we do not know the circumstanes -but would it be fair to say at this stage the goalkeeper 'signings ' were all a bit strange-as i think most would suggest that between sanchez/montgomery and ward-those players were better than the current trio ,so there FGR have not improved .

Overall-simple gut fee l says to me that the transfer window was not as successful/smooth/quick as hoped (certainly not as good as summer 2018/19 ).

Maybe another measure of the 'success or otherwise of this transfer window is what happens in the january window.

Again-gut feel is that this summer window has the hallmarks of 2017/18 when too many 'experienced '(read journeymen players )were signed and it had to be put right in january 2018 to stave off relegation.

this summer, i wonder whether a few too many 'young/potential players have been signed-and in january 220, a few more experienced/physical players will need to be signed to stave off relegation fears.

January 2019-not much correction had to be done because overall-a good job was done in the summer.

but as above -if these summer signings generate serious transfer income-does that makes it a success regardless ?

-and just for a bit of fun-to provoke a bit of comment-if you are MC, and Richard whoever the transfer guru - and Mr Vince says -right guys -this summer-get us some players in to win promotion and you'll get a £10K bonus ,and by the way, if you get any players in , who we make transfer profits on regardless of league position-you get 10% of the fee-what type/age of player would you proritise ? (just to stress-i am not suggesting that is the case-and simply put it out there for debate )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Lots of good points there Michael. We don’t know the budget constraints but, given the size of our attendances, I assume they are relatively tight. We are certainly not going to be among the biggest spenders in this league and I would think playoffs would equate to punching above our weight. As you say, lower mid table wouldn’t be a huge surprise - though a bit of a disappointment after last season.

Given the budget I think the strategy of bringing in a bunch of young players and testing if they can grow with us alongside a smattering of experienced players like Dawson and Matt Mills, seems very sensible. Most are on our permanent books - I wish Morton was - and so development brings in transfer money as well as short term results on the pitch.

But bringing in young players is probably more risky and takes particular management talents compared to recruitment of the more tried and tested. With the latter, mid table would be more secure but the playoffs would be unlikely. With young players we may be more fragile - I worry that an unfortunate loosing streak might lead to loss of confidence in youthful players expecting success and may lead to a slump - but we may be able to achieve more if enough click.

I think we need more young signings than we would tried and tested players because, almost by definition given they are less tested, some just won’t work out. So far the signings have shown potential and the experience MC has brought in has also looked decent. It’s too early to answer the question but there is early promise.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 am

Results will tell but for me more change than was required in and out. The big failure of the window was not signing a quality goalkeeper like Ward.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:57 am

Wait and see.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:53 am

lovejoy2 wrote:Results will tell but for me more change than was required in and out. The big failure of the window was not signing a quality goalkeeper like Ward.

Wollacott looks just as good to me, if not better.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 am

I think Wollacott is almost certainly a better goalie than Ward. Indisputable though that he is only at FGR on loan, at most for a season (and with the right to return to his parent club in Jeanuary).

I'm reasonably optimistic, though: both the scouting and training sides of things seem to be working well. And I am impressed with Cooper's approach. Still a bit concerned about how we will up our goalscoring prowess, but perhaps it will simply take a few more games for that to gel properly. If it doesn't then it will have to be dealt with in the winter transfer window, but it may not be necessary.
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Postby lovejoy2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:05 am

Wollacot looks a great shot stopper, obviously made quiet a few mistakes with the ball at his feet. But where he struggles compared to ward is coming for crosses and command of the box. Ward has an advantage of being taller and more physical
Wollacot is a good keeper and light years ahead of Thomas so hope he plays today.
However this was asking if the recruitment was a success. In the goalkeeping department the signing of Smith was obviously a mistake, hopefully fixed by signing Wollacot. But I wouldn’t call that successful
Last edited by lovejoy2 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:11 am

Wollacott can't play today. His one match ban only appies to league games.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:10 am

Kentstripe wrote:Wollacott can't play today. His one match ban only appies to league games.

Big chance then for Thomas. He is not as good as Wollacott but given that he is an FGR permie rather than on loan, we need to support him and hope he improves. I hope he plays a blinder today.

I agree with Lovejoy that the Smith absence is a sign that we didn’t get the goalie recruitment right.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby BroughtonPowell » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 am

I think we all saw how well the goalkeeping unit was last year and I think credit needs to go to Pat Mountain.
The use of Ward and Monty was carefully thought out - normally with Ward coming in for teams with more of an aerial threat.

Looks like Wollacott would be number 1 at the moment, but amazing performance by Lewis on Saturday, just needs to get that kicking better.
Adam Smith is obviously not a right fit for FGR at all - might see him going out on loan I would think, he's gotta need some game time.

The front line now look great, just need them to gel. the raw talent of Jack A, Stevens and Taylor Allen, looks pretty lethal when it all clicks. where McGoalski fits in is another question, will he play that target man and players around him will benefit more?

And the midfield is looking so much better, Morton and Taylor look composed and assured, and the experience of Dawson will help them.

Think the gaps and weaknesses have be seen and initially plugged - it's now a case of training, training, training, and getting that machine slick as possible.
BroughtonPowell
Youth
Youth

Return to FGR First Team