Sincere thanks to Cambridge United FC

All about our First Team

Sincere thanks to Cambridge United FC

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:23 am

As Pitchfork has said under the match thread, yesterday's match could have been remembered for something tragic after the collapse of one of our supporters

Cambridge United, as a Club were exemplary. After the person's collapse into unconsciousness, our fans and stewards acted promptly with the Police and St John's Ambulance on the scene and soon attending to him in their excellent medical facility before sending him to hospital. Sarah Urquart was at the match and calls by her to the office staff and by Phil to Henry enabled the person's identification through his ticket, which had been purchased through FGR. We think he'd travelled on his own from Essex and was not known to our other supporters. As we left the ground yesterday, our hosts confirmed that he had been admitted to Papworth hospital and had survived. He has all our good wishes for a full recovery.

In the meantime, I'd just like to pay tribute to the fantastic response from Cambridge United, the Police Officers and St John's Ambulance. Quite probably, their swift and skilled intervention has saved a life. I do hope so.

In a separate incident on the pitch, Joe Mills did his captain courageous act yet again. His miraculous headed save at the goal line melee left him floored and in need of lengthy treatment in the goal in front of the home 'popular end'. The supporters were quiet and respectful, then applauded as he was helped to his feet, then again when he walked unsteadily to the dug outs. (Walsall fans were similarly sporting when we suffered injuries earlier in the season. A complete contrast to Bradford City fans who howled derision at Matt Mills after his face was gashed following a rash attempted scissors kick and later when he was demolished by a thumping assault by Clayton Donaldson)

Cambridge fans also applauded ours when the crowd numbers were announced, as we do at TNL

When the return fixture with Cambridge takes place, we need to give their club and supporters a special welcome. The spirit of the game is alive and well at the University City
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Sincere thanks to Cambridge United FC

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 am

The only sad thing at Cambridge Yesterday

Was seeing a guy receiving CPR outside the away entrance.
I asked whether he was one of our fans and was told he was probably only walking by.

Even so, it didn't look good.

I saw the ambulance arrive & really hope they saved him. Whoever he was.

Can those in the know find out please?

Posted by NewForestRover
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Cambridge's Supporter Liaison Officer has kindly contacted me again regarding the condition of the gentleman, a FGR fan from Chelmsford, who had the heart attack before yesterday's away match.

He is stable, but in an induced coma. The Royal Papworth are caring for him, this is one of the leading UK hospitals for patients with heart conditions.

I must endorse all Chrisgump has written about the efficiency of the club officials and the friendliness of their supporters.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby whittyfgr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Any updates on how the gentleman is doing,his he still in hospital or back home,was not very nice to see,have the club been in contact with the cambrigde utd fan and steward who were trying to save the mans life when I got there at 2.30 before the paramedics turned up.
whittyfgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:25 pm

I'm afraid it's not good news whittyfgr; here is a statement just released from Cambridge F.C.

"It is with a great deal of sadness that Cambridge United today confirm the Forest Green Rovers supporter who suffered a cardiac arrest before Saturday's fixture at the Abbey Stadium passed away in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The Football Club remains extremely proud and thankful for the supporters, stewards and medical personnel involved in providing the immediate aid required at the ground on Saturday. Their quick response ensured the individual was able to be transferred to the Royal Papworth Hospital in a condition which gave him the best chances of survival.

We are deeply saddened this has not led to a happier outcome on this occasion, but are grateful to have such a skilled and professional match day team who have highlighted their ability to keep the Abbey Stadium and those within it safe in the event of an emergency situation.

We would like to offer our sincerest of condolences to the individual's family and friends and our thoughts are also with Forest Green Rovers Football Club at this sad time."
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby It is now » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Oh that is so sad … puts lots of things into perspective .. still a young man too. No doubt Pitchfork will ensure the club offers condolences and support on behalf of us all. Its amazing how football brings together such a diverse group of people to share a common passion … a true family win or lose … time to pull together.
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves

Postby whittyfgr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Very sad news just seen it posted on Facebook.
whittyfgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm

So sad to hear this. I thought he was going to be alright.

Condolences to his family and friends.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Very sorry to see this, especially as he was being treated when I arrived and the treatment he was getting looked so impressive. It really puts things in perspective. Condolences to his family... sad
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Very sad to hear...... RIP.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Sad news and my condolences. Life is fragile.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Tragic news. Would like to add my condolences. RIP
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:08 pm

So sad.

Condolences to the family.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NeilC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Terrible news
NeilC
Youth
Youth

Postby andymac26 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 pm

Really sad, I add my condolences to the family. Having had a heart attack in January, makes me realise how lucky I was.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:14 am

Thoughts and condolences with his family at this very sad time. Thanks to those who did their very best to resolve the situation. Life is precious.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Bill Shankly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:35 am

I hope we can have a minutes silence or applause on Saturday.
It's such a sad time for the family but we must offer support.
RIP never forgotten.
Bill Shankly
Youth
Youth

Postby dursleydog » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am

My condolences to the family, and to the staff who tried everything to save him.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Very sad to hear that the supporter has passed away. No reflection at all upon Cambridge United - their stewards & medics, St John's Ambulance and the Police were all magnificent. However skilled and responsive, sometimes a life is beyond saving. Sincere condolences to the person's next of kin
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team