Where Were Our Fans Today?

All about our First Team

Re: Where Were Our Fans Today?

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Don’t see the point in going to the game and not singing as some kind of protest against Dale/politics/prices/vegans/etc. Or just going to away games for the same reasons.

Just don’t go to the games at all if you don’t like the club or the way it behaves. You probably won’t even be missed.

Go. Don’t go. Who cares?
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby cornishman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Re. Fan reps. There is no transparancy or communication re the reps and supporters club. I asked the question a while back on the relevant area of the forum and there was no reply.

I've been to one meeting representing North Stand. Since then I have been unable to attend because of work commitments: unfortunately the meetings have been scheduled at 5 pm or earlier and that makes it impossible for me to get there. It's true that the South Stand reps did not turn up at the first meeting: I got the feeling that the main reason for establishing the group was to get them involved and sort out past troubles. I would be happy to discuss or represent anything conveyed by North Stand fans. By all means contact me on my e-mail, john.beer@newcollege.ac.uk if you have anything you want raised at meetings, or speak to me on match-days. I am usually in The Green Man from about 1.15. Kind regards, Rod.
cornishman
Youth
Youth

Postby paulK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:37 pm

chelsearover wrote:I attended the first meeting, to my knowledge there were at least two from the north, east stands and even one from the west stand for away supporters, but nobody showed from the south stand, if you don't turn up you cannot have your say, there has been one since that I couldn't attend so I cannot comment on this one, I am a north stand season ticket holder, I agree with the kids go free, but can someone have a word with the parents about their behaviour, or have a third of the stand for them only,

How about letting them into the West stand ;)
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:04 am

Where were our fans today ?
(and tonight)

-well 76 of them went to Carlise today it seems, which i think is remarkable and outstanding ,and who cares if they sang or did not sing.

just to make that effort phenomenal imo.

without being patronising , what impresses me even more is that these supporters just go and get on with it.

most don't bother telling the world why they are going/why they aren't going/whats upset them this week/why they do/don't sing/why the chips were soggy

they just Go and hopefully enjoy a football match for what it is
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:37 am

Well said.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:44 am

The away fans were brilliant at Carlisle - often outsinging the 3000 home fans and applauding the team loudly at the end.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:20 am

I applaud those who represent us as representatives from all stands. Maybe a suggestion box could be put by turnstiles in stands. We all want a better match day experience. I’m sure 90% would be good suggestions. Feedback on this forum would be also be good. Once again all thanks to those who give up their spare time to the club.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:46 am

michael wrote:Where were our fans today ?
(and tonight)

-well 76 of them went to Carlise today it seems, which i think is remarkable and outstanding ,and who cares if they sang or did not sing.

just to make that effort phenomenal imo.

without being patronising , what impresses me even more is that these supporters just go and get on with it.

most don't bother telling the world why they are going/why they aren't going/whats upset them this week/why they do/don't sing/why the chips were soggy

they just Go and hopefully enjoy a football match for what it is

That's just the point though, away from home we DO make a lot of noise, it's night and day compared to home matches. Could hear our fans loud and clear on the stream, brilliant effort. It gives the players a huge boost and creates much more togetherness.

Wouldn't it be great if that were the case at home too?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 pm

I’ve said it before on previous similar threads, but I’ll say it again. You cannot force this issue. Folks will shout and sing if they feel inspired to do so for whatever reason, whether it’s the pace of play, the silky skills, or because they’re hammered. If they don’t feel inspired to do so then they simply won’t. You can’t make them. And if you somehow manage to persuade them then it’ll come across as really false and will quickly disappear.

Just my opinion but I do wonder why this seems to do the rounds with such regularity. We are a quiet club at home and should accept that.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:27 pm

You can always work to improve things. Just accepting 'that's how it is' would have never seen this club progress the way it has.

There are clearly a number of our fans who make a good noise away from home, and many others that would like to see a better atmosphere at home, including crucially, the players. Why can't those that want to make more noise at home discuss ways of doing that, and the issues behind why we're noisier away?

No one is forced to join the discussion or do anything they don't want to do.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Are there really people who want to make noise but don’t? Why would that be so?

If you want to make noise, make noise. No-one’s stopping anyone and no-one needs permission. I think most people aren’t really bothered, including the players. They seem to be doing just fine.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:25 pm

The players absolutely do prefer a better atmosphere, ask them yourself. I can't imagine it's all that inspiring playing in front of a quiet crowd, with most of the noise coming from the away fans and "your support is f****** s***" ringing around the ground.

And if you aren't interested/don't care about the lack of/improving the atmosphere that's fine, but are people that are interested not allowed to discuss the subject in your opinion?

Cheltenham have introduced a singing section at WR, another ground which is often pretty quiet. Be interesting to hear how that's been going, and whether there's any chance of that working at TNL.
Last edited by Kentstripe on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 pm

Perhaps the 'away' noisemakers follow Cheltenham when we are at home? ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:56 pm

Kentstripe wrote:The players absolutely do prefer a better atmosphere, ask them yourself. I can't imagine it's all that inspiring playing in front of a quiet crowd, with most of the noise coming from the away fans and "your support is f****** s***" ringing around the ground.

And if you aren't interested/don't care about the lack of/improving the atmosphere that's fine, but are people that are interested not allowed to discuss the subject in your opinion?

Cheltenham have introduced a singing section at WR, another ground which is often pretty quiet. Be interesting to hear how that's been going, and whether there's any chance of that working at TNL.

As I said; my opinion (which I think I’m allowed to have) is that you can’t force these things. By all means try - I just don’t think it’ll work. It hasn’t so far.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Kentstripe wrote:The players absolutely do prefer a better atmosphere, ask them yourself. I can't imagine it's all that inspiring playing in front of a quiet crowd, with most of the noise coming from the away fans and "your support is f****** s***" ringing around the ground.

^^ this ^^

Agree 100% with every word of it.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:12 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
As I said; my opinion (which I think I’m allowed to have) is that you can’t force these things. By all means try - I just don’t think it’ll work. It hasn’t so far.

Do you go to away games as well as home games?

The reason I'm asking is because if you do, you would be asking the same question as I am.

The difference is unbelievable.

From start to finish our away fans get behind our team. They make themselves heard at every match. They clap, they chant, they sing and our players even get a few verses of our FGR TV theme song if they are really lucky!

At home they are lucky to get any vocal support at all.
If our fans were quiet home and away, I would just accept that we have fans who don't like to make any noise but I've been to enough away games to know that we have lots that do.

We have fans who can make a big difference to our players.

Somewhere!!!
Last edited by NewForestRover on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 pm

TreeHugger wrote:As I said; my opinion (which I think I’m allowed to have) is that you can’t force these things. By all means try - I just don’t think it’ll work. It hasn’t so far.

It isn't about forcing things imo, it's about looking a bit closer into the reasons why we create a good atmosphere away, but can't replicate that at home. and if there is any way of changing that.

If we never made any noise anywhere, I'd agree that no one is bothered or wants to and the discussion is pointless, but that isn't the case at all. Remember this? https://twitter.com/i/status/1126978034681225216
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:20 pm

You and me are on the same wavelength tonight KS! :D

I was taking ages to edit my post and now see that you've posted very similar comments.
I also mentioned the FGR TV theme song and you posted a link to it!

Hopefully we'll find some way of making our home support better for our players.
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:13 pm

Well the proof of the pudding...

I genuinely wish you the best in your endeavours. The last several years make me think you’ll be wasting your time, but go for it.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 pm

I echo what Treehugger says. I've been following FGR for 20 years and the away support is always much more vocal. The main reason is that you get a small number of the most committed fans and put them all together in a small area. I think the East Stand has been much better this season.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team