All about our First Team

John Light's rallying call to 'docile' Forest Green fans

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:04 am

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: John Light's rallying call to 'docile' Forest Green fans

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 am

Also, Swindon fan takes dig at FGR and Chelt support!

https://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/spo ... d-backing/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby madasahatter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:54 am

Also, Swindon fan takes dig at FGR and Chelt support!

If the 'support' consists of the coin and missile throwing that Swindon 'Fans' engaged in at the recent game at the Jonny Rocks Stadium - then I want no part of that type of 'support'.
madasahatter
Youth
Youth

Postby madasahatter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am

John Light wrote: -

This young team deserves a noisy, enthusiastic crowd giving the referee plenty of advice. He certainly needed some,denying Rovers a stonewall first half penalty.

Responsible journalism?

Just report the facts and leave out your hackneyed opinions and 'advice' to fans - disgraceful from someone who should know better.............
madasahatter
Youth
Youth

Postby Lawncider » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Club not helping itself at the moment with their political stance and I think a lot of the younger generation fed up with it and no longer attending home games. Leave the politics out of football. People go to football for a release from this.

Take away the kids collecting free shirts with their parents Saturday and then a 2000 crowd would have been more realistic at most. Seem to be losing fans rather than gaining them at the moment.
Lawncider
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 pm

What is this 'Political stance' please?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:What is this 'Political stance' please?

DV's financial support of a legal case relating to perogation and Brexit.

Regarding the relative size of Swindon support, its crazy to compare their crowd to ours (or Cheltenham's). We don't have Division 1 pedigree or as big a town to attract fans from. Swindon are currently punching below their weight (though are going to be a favourite to remedy that this year) and we are punching above ours.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Rather early for Swindon to be getting cocky, but let them. We may be a small club by comparison but we finished higher last year and we're on their case this year! As a large town of 140-150,000 Cheltenham has more to worry about maybe?

There are several reasons that I can think of to explain lower crowds at TNL (though the same was a concern last year and we ended up with a slight increase over 17/18). However, politics is the least likely of all.

We have many big games to come that will increase the average - Walsall, Swindon, Cheltenham, Exeter, Plymouth & so on. But, as the newness of League Football wears off, I think the fact is that our core Saturday home crowd is around 2,000. And in fairness, the East Stand is making more noise these days. South Stand attendance seems patchy for some games but maybe that is a reflection of how much spare cash adult supporters have in hard times?

Investment in young fans always pays dividends as Norwich City were the first to exploit by their forerunner of our Ambassador & free shirt scheme. It is a 'slow burner' but already we are a world away from the FGR I used to watch with a predominantly 'old' male crowd for company. Wonderful spectacle on Saturday with a well populated North Stand, immaculate pitch and colour everywhere you looked
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:32 pm

madasahatter wrote:John Light wrote: -

This young team deserves a noisy, enthusiastic crowd giving the referee plenty of advice. He certainly needed some,denying Rovers a stonewall first half penalty.

Responsible journalism?

Just report the facts and leave out your hackneyed opinions and 'advice' to fans - disgraceful from someone who should know better.............

I think you'll find that John is a columnist rather than reporter which allows him to express an opinion.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Main Stander » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Lawncider wrote:Club not helping itself at the moment with their political stance and I think a lot of the younger generation fed up with it and no longer attending home games. Leave the politics out of football. People go to football for a release from this.

Take away the kids collecting free shirts with their parents Saturday and then a 2000 crowd would have been more realistic at most. Seem to be losing fans rather than gaining them at the moment.

I think the "Younger generation" were Adults paying kids prices, and now they have been caught, they dont come - and throw anything and everything around that its Dale's fault they dont come anymore - Brexit, Fan treatment, you name it - thats why they dont come anymore. :lol:

They all "love the club" but only happy to spend the £10 or whatever kid pirces and the £30+ down the social club on drink.

Seems they cant quite grasp growing up... funny that :lol:.
Main Stander
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Wasn't there a similar headline about crowd size last Season. Makes me think there was nothing of worth in the game warranting a headline.

Seems to be some kind of obsession.

As for crowd size, of course we'd like them that big. So would Swindon have last season :lol:

Umm.. where are Swindon and Cheltenham in terms of crowd per local headcount ;)

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/league-two-attendances-dons-grimsby-2266318
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:55 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
madasahatter wrote:John Light wrote: -

Responsible journalism?

I think you'll find that John is a columnist rather than reporter which allows him to express an opinion.

Precisely. If he didn't offer an opinion it wouldn't be much of a column!
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Main Stander wrote:
Lawncider wrote:Club not helping itself at the moment with their political stance and I think a lot of the younger generation fed up with it and no longer attending home games. Leave the politics out of football. People go to football for a release from this.

I think the "Younger generation" were Adults paying kids prices, and now they have been caught, they dont come - and throw anything and everything around that its Dale's fault they dont come anymore - Brexit, Fan treatment, you name it - thats why they dont come anymore. :lol:

They all "love the club" but only happy to spend the £10 or whatever kid pirces and the £30+ down the social club on drink.

Seems they cant quite grasp growing up... funny that :lol:.

Pretty much sums it up imo. You only have to read the rubbish they come up with on FB.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:41 pm

It's so sad season after season to keep reading all these negative comments both here and on Facebook.. I'm 71 and 72 soon and have spent the last decade looking after a housebound partner .As a senior citizen (!) I get an early bird South Stand season ticket for just over £200 which averages out at around £10 a game..Under 21s pay £9 and Under 16s £6 but £18 for adults to stand on a cold soul-less terrace is a lot. I would love to be able to get to away games and am making a concerted effort this season to at least get to Exeter Swindon Cheltenham and hopefully Plymouth. which is rubbish I know .I stand close to the young fans in the South Stand who chant and I drum along with them and love their energy. I’m sure they think I'm a lefty hippy weird wrinkly but whatever. When I was their age in London, I stood in the Shed for years and followed Chelsea home and away back when they were rubbish . Every season it seems to be something...the bannings for stepping on the track was deplorable. Now the political outpouring from Dale on the FGR facebook page which was untimely and unwelcome. I don’t know how we move on...Reduce the adult standing price for a start. If Dale would just come and stand in the South Stand once and say hello...occasionally it would help..it would be interesting (!!!!!) but it might bridge something Who knows. I’ve chatted to lots of people especially the younger singing guys.and know how much money they spend getting up and down the country. .They are all great Rovers fans and I can’t blame them for feeling disconnected....I sat in the East Stand for three or four National League seasons and moved across to experience a better atmosphere back when South Stand had a Dream and a banner proclaiming it,..What do we do? I wish I could help.
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only known collective of football poets in the World" BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16500 football poems published.
Football Poets http://footballpoets.org & https://www.facebook.com/FootballPoets/
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Football Poets wrote:It's so sad season after season to keep reading all these negative comments both here and on Facebook.. I'm 71 and 72 soon and have spent the last decade looking after a housebound partner .As a senior citizen (!) I get an early bird South Stand season ticket for just over £200 which averages out at around £10 a game..Under 21s pay £9 and Under 16s £6 but £18 for adults to stand on a cold soul-less terrace is a lot. I would love to be able to get to away games and am making a concerted effort this season to at least get to Exeter Swindon Cheltenham and hopefully Plymouth. which is rubbish I know .I stand close to the young fans in the South Stand who chant and I drum along with them and love their energy. I’m sure they think I'm a lefty hippy weird wrinkly but whatever. When I was their age in London, I stood in the Shed for years and followed Chelsea home and away back when they were rubbish . Every season it seems to be something...the bannings for stepping on the track was deplorable. Now the political outpouring from Dale on the FGR facebook page which was untimely and unwelcome. I don’t know how we move on...Reduce the adult standing price for a start. If Dale would just come and stand in the South Stand once and say hello...occasionally it would help..it would be interesting (!!!!!) but it might bridge something Who knows. I’ve chatted to lots of people especially the younger singing guys.and know how much money they spend getting up and down the country. .They are all great Rovers fans and I can’t blame them for feeling disconnected....I sat in the East Stand for three or four National League seasons and moved across to experience a better atmosphere back when South Stand had a Dream and a banner proclaiming it,..What do we do? I wish I could help.

I PM'd you a few days ago FP but don't think you've read it yet.

As for helping with match day atmosphere? You definitely do.
Have a look at my recent 'Where were our fans today?' thread when I mentioned the South stand drummer and how those of us in the East stand rely on you to get us going.

I understand that you can't attend every week but don't understand why other South stand members don't.

Politics? What has that got to do with football?
Absolutely nothing. Just an excuse really.

Anyway, I'm having a break from home games for now because I've been leaving the ground despondent even though we've won.

Atmosphere and supporting our players means so much to me that I get annoyed, frustrated and upset when so many around me don't even appear to care.

I've left away games walking on air when we've won and also when we've lost but haven't been walking on air at TNL for quite a while.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks NFR...i did just get your PM and have replied...apologies ..hadn'tt checked it in a while..onward COYR
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only known collective of football poets in the World" BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16500 football poems published.
Football Poets http://footballpoets.org & https://www.facebook.com/FootballPoets/
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:30 am

So when the going gets tough ................... what should we do NFR? Quit ??
No idea who you are but from your posts I definitely didn't have you down as someone who would walk away from a challenge.

I think anyone who has ever travelled away will recognise that the camaraderie of our fans is hugely different and creates a much better atmosphere for our players and supporters alike and I 100% agree for me the overall experience is much more enjoyable ..... especially when we get a good result !!

I'm not sure what will get the South Stand back to full volume but think FP's idea of Dale and perhaps Henry spending some time on the terrace would only help ?!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby whittyfgr » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 am

We make more noise away from home because we are all sat together in one section of the ground,probably also had a few beers becauce we have gone on the coach or train.personally I drive to home games so do not have a drink to loosen the vocal cords,so just watch the game,i also find away games over the last couple of seasons have been a lot more enjoyable then what has been on show at the lawn,this Saturday Stevenage at home will be only my second home visit this season after 6 enjoyable away days on the trot,also has someone who as watched the club a few years we have really never made a lot of noise at home games,unless its been a local derby.
whittyfgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Greeners » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi
whittyfgr wrote:We make more noise away from home because we are all sat together in one section of the ground,probably also had a few beers becauce (sic) we have gone on the coach or train.personally I drive to home games so do not have a drink to loosen the vocal cords,so just watch the game,

"Unfortunately, abnormal mucous production occasioned by alcohol consumption only reduces vocal fold flexibility and increases the need to clear your throat. Alcohol irritates and dehydrates the vocal folds as well as the rest of the body."

What alcohol does loosen is inhibitions.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 pm

.......... leading to unruliness and violence in a few cases.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team