Cooper calls on Forest Green fans to find their voice

All about our First Team

Re: Cooper calls on Forest Green fans to find their voice

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Tj1889 wrote:Cooper says the team play better when there is noise in the ground. We want the team to play well. We should make lots of noise. End of.

I told my boss I want a Ferrari as it’ll make me do my job better. I can’t have one. I still do my job. End of.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:How old do you have to be to use facebook and twitter these days? There are a few on there saying they are the real fans, but wont go to home matches anymore. They also seem to think we are angry about them on our 'little Korea' forum.

Also, they are very selective over who they allow on their Facebook site. No plastics allowed. Makes their Korea comments interesting. Shame they're too young to understand irony.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:37 pm

DominicH wrote:
Obviously Salford are a special (and highly subsidised!) case with their ten-quid tickets (I think I read the club heavily subsidise their away fans coach too)

Whilst really not having a clue about how our ticket prices stack up against others - I'm not sure I find away prices much cheaper, if at all - I find Salfords ability to subsidise intriguing from a sustainability point of view.

Like us, they tend to get small gates, but unlike last year, they now have to contend with FFP rules. The owners don't tend to invest, working on a principle of lending money and/or borrowing, so it leaves me wondering how they intend to be able to recruit and or reach a level to stabilise themselves in the EFL, let alone get promoted.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Onya Edson » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:48 pm

paulK wrote:
DominicH wrote:
Obviously Salford are a special (and highly subsidised!) case with their ten-quid tickets (I think I read the club heavily subsidise their away fans coach too)

Whilst really not having a clue about how our ticket prices stack up against others - I'm not sure I find away prices much cheaper, if at all - I find Salfords ability to subsidise intriguing from a sustainability point of view.

Like us, they tend to get small gates, but unlike last year, they now have to contend with FFP rules. The owners don't tend to invest, working on a principle of lending money and/or borrowing, so it leaves me wondering how they intend to be able to recruit and or reach a level to stabilise themselves in the EFL, let alone get promoted.

Good point, Paul. I don't know how Salford can sustain it. I think FGR's prices are typical for our level.
Probably, to maximise revenue, the prices are pitched about right.
But I don't go along with all the football clubs saying that the prices are the same as all the other clubs. Maybe all the clubs (apart from Salford) are charging too much? I think it prices-out supporters who can't afford it. The competition for our £18 a head on the terrace, is not just about how much other clubs are charging. It's also about what other things we can do for our £18 for an afternoon out.
Onya Edson
Trainee
Trainee

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Onya Edson wrote:
paulK wrote:
DominicH wrote:

Good point, Paul. I don't know how Salford can sustain it. I think FGR's prices are typical for our level.
Probably, to maximise revenue, the prices are pitched about right.
But I don't go along with all the football clubs saying that the prices are the same as all the other clubs. Maybe all the clubs (apart from Salford) are charging too much? I think it prices-out supporters who can't afford it. The competition for our £18 a head on the terrace, is not just about how much other clubs are charging. It's also about what other things we can do for our £18 for an afternoon out.

Things you can do for £18 in an afternoon within 5 miles of Nailsworth. Probably deserves its own thread.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:02 am

Silver Surfer wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:How old do you have to be to use facebook and twitter these days? There are a few on there saying they are the real fans, but wont go to home matches anymore. They also seem to think we are angry about them on our 'little Korea' forum.

Also, they are very selective over who they allow on their Facebook site. No plastics allowed. Makes their Korea comments interesting. Shame they're too young to understand irony.

It does appear hypocritical to restrict access to their site without explanation. At least with ours there is clarity and warnings about potential bans
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 am

There are a small number of fans who want to promote conflict and suggest a different time when the fields were green and non-league football was a glorious age. The best thing we can all do is just keep saying this view is not ours, and isn't representative of the MAJORITY of FGR fans.

I got banned from FGR chat for revealing one of their main posters had used the ID of a US professor - I then moved on and realised you can't get everybody on side. I suggest we all do the same.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Main Stander » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:17 am

People seem to be forgetting the VIP dining package £58 per person, That seems to be very popular despite the heavy pricing, How anyone could ever justify such a price for a league 2 game is staggering.

(I cant say ive ever experianced the VIP dining,so maybe im being overly judgemental, but anyone who has used this service - please open my eyes to what im missing :shock: )
Main Stander
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am

A few points that pick up this widening thread

Whilst commending Salford's generosity, it still struggles to get 2,000 - 3,000 spectators from a City of 250,000. Rugby League & Man U mean they will always struggle and the less income you have, the more difficult it will be to fund players under the Financial Fair Play rules. Months back on the Bury thread, I suggested that Bury are more likely to be higher in the football pyramid in 10-15 years time than Salford and I stick to that view

For small clubs like ours and theirs you will always need to offer something extra to keep up with the 'bigger boys'. I truly believe that Dale's profile & vision has given FGR an enviable edge such that Mark's easy-on-the-eye product is now widely acclaimed. They are our USPs and a noisier home crowd will help their ambition as it does away from home

Fleetwood Town (25,000 pop) and Burton Albion (40,000 pop) along with Yeovil (40,000 pop) show that it is possible to get to/aspire to Championship football even as minnows. But staying there without a long term plan and a thriving development set up (as per Crewe?) will be incredibly hard.

That is why the progression of FGR's development/academy squad is so important, and a new stadium that puts us nearer to major increasing population catchments. We do at least have a market to test - growth of Stonehouse, Cam/Dursley, South Glos towns like Thornbury & Yate) and the southern expansion of Gloucester along the RAF bases.

Salford, rather like Walsall, will have to live under the shadow of much bigger local rivals and even resurgent Stockport who attract 5,000 - 6,000 crowds in NL. However precarious, I'd rather be in our shoes
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:45 am

Pitchfork wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:

It does appear hypocritical to restrict access to their site without explanation. At least with ours there is clarity and warnings about potential bans

Not sure how true Silver Surfer's comment is. I'm not sure they have any way of identifying a plastic e.g. I'm sure I must come under their definition. Also, from posts it appears not all agree with the stance of the few and those people don't seem to be banned.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:59 pm

FGRWill wrote:There are a small number of fans who want to promote conflict and suggest a different time when the fields were green and non-league football was a glorious age. The best thing we can all do is just keep saying this view is not ours, and isn't representative of the MAJORITY of FGR fans.

I got banned from FGR chat for revealing one of their main posters had used the ID of a US professor - I then moved on and realised you can't get everybody on side. I suggest we all do the same.

I got ban from that site as well FGRWill without knowing any reason other than I'm doing DV's work, whatever that means. I suspect it's because I still support the club and everything that goes with it.

They then slag me off giving me no opportunity to answer or defend myself, I understand a call of Magpie out has recently been use, sorry to say it's Magpie still in even more.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:46 pm

I have been banned - I rarely posted but felt it important to keep abreast of their contributors’ comments. I can no longer access the site.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Another take on finding our voice..this time Billy Joel stylee....

South Stand Man

Well it’s five to three on a Saturday
The usual crowd wander in
There’s a guy in a full kit beside me
But he reckons our chances are thin.

He says: “mate.. are we up for a good one?
‘Cause you never know what you will get“
And I tell him apart from away fans out there
None of us here will get wet.

But it’s cold if it’s August or Christmas
The roof on the toilet’s not there
And the guys in the middle make most of the noise…
Whenever they choose to appear.

So sing us a song we’re the South Stand
Sing us a song today
Forget all your moans and be loud here at home
As when you watch Rovers away

Now Jamie he’s made some great flags for the lads
He follows us home and away
And Cam’s just a kid but he turns out a vid
wherever he can when we play,

We lost our old badge and our black and and our white
Our new zebra strip is quite strange
The walk up the hill is a nightmare
But it’s great running back down again.

So sing us a song in the South Stand
Don’t just rely on the young
Forget all your gripes about vegans and vibes
And I’ll bang along on my drum.

And football’s a novelty round here
The concrete steps ain’t all that steep
The terraces don’t go as high as the Kop
But at least we can still see the sheep.

The microphone man tries as hard as he can
To generate match atmospheres
And lately the East Stand have found a new voice
As the library tag disappears,

Sing us about Forest Green
We’ve played on this hill for a massive long time
But we’re still just a small village team.

Now our owners a rich New Age Hippy
Some of our fans have their views
We’re electric and solar and vegan
But it keeps up there in the news.

And away fans they chant for a meat van
The parking’s a nightmare – but hey
It’s a beautiful place in the sun or the rain
And we’d love it to just stay that way.

We’re a throw back to games in the fifties
We’ve got terraces here on three sides
But we’ll love it and stand for as long as we can
Just embracing enjoying the ride.

Some of still share your dream
But when we all cheer it’s amazing in here…….
Not bad for a small village team.

For poem click:http://footballpoets.org/poems/south-stand-man/

(With sincere apologies and thanks to Billy Joel/ ‘Piano Man’ for the re-write. Ouch!)
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only known collective of football poets in the World" BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16500 football poems published.
Football Poets http://footballpoets.org & https://www.facebook.com/FootballPoets/
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Love it Crispin...good to get wider coverage here than in 'Poetry Corner'
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Very good that, Football Poets.
'
By the way, Is that a 2nd time around stage name from Crispian St Peters? You could well turn that "You were on my mind" song into another football anthem there. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:16 pm

To create headline news
Sometimes we express outlandish views
You can heed it or ignore it
But the choice is yours

Opinions maybe offered and shared
Me thinks have they really ever cared
You can join them or ignore them
But the choice is yours

The saga is a conundrum for sure
Too much’s been said, can there ever be a cure
Let’s leave it there, it’s not worth it
But the choice is yours
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Lady Magpie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Watch it FootieMan - your Bard.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Main Stander wrote:People seem to be forgetting the VIP dining package £58 per person, That seems to be very popular despite the heavy pricing, How anyone could ever justify such a price for a league 2 game is staggering.

(I cant say ive ever experianced the VIP dining,so maybe im being overly judgemental, but anyone who has used this service - please open my eyes to what im missing :shock: )

I do not consider it to be too staggering.

Subtract an £18 ticket price. This leaves £40 for VIP dining. If it is a three course high quality meal, then £40 is not too expensive. And I do not know what other benefits there are - maybe a programme which would normally cost, tea and coffee which would normally cost, and interaction with players/management?

As an occasional treat that is not bad an expense.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby The Game Within » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:40 pm

I believe you get free parking, tea/coffee and cake (at HT) and a free first drink on arrival.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 pm

Plus a programme and team sheet I believe.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team