Match thread from The New Lawn (Crawley Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Crawley Town)

Postby Earl » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:25 pm

What an incredible difference watching an unshackled team playing with attacking intensity and fast-flowing movement going forward. And a team a team of players enjoying themselves.

Shame Bernard was asleep at the wheel for their goal but maybe complacency crept in with a three-goal advantage. Thomas’s distribution hit the mark with virtually every kick upfield. It also seems we hardly played out from the back. Or maybe that was just my perception.

Under countless niggling fouls, the players kept their cool and discipline. This will be needed as the season unfolds.

Long may the new improved attacking Rovers continue. It’s exciting to watch and lifts the mood of the crowd. Fair play to Cooper for recognising a change in tactics was urgently needed.
Earl
First Team
First Team

Postby stanman » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:55 pm

I could not agree more with you Earl about everything you say.
A turning point in FGR’s fortune if we can produce that form in all future games? Well, most of them anyway.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm not sure we need too much of a turning point in fortune given how we're top of the league, and have apparently now spent 58 consecutive weeks in the top half of league 2 ;)
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Shame Bernard was asleep at the wheel for their goal but maybe complacency crept in with a three-goal advantage

I'm not sure Faz covered himself in glory with his attempt to clear before it reached the far side ?

that all given-those sort of errors are rare -but just like goalkeepers-defenders also make mistakes from time to time -so not the end of the world
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Better to make that mistake when 3-0 up I suppose. Shows the benefit of going for more goals when in front.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:31 pm

paulK wrote:
michael wrote: .

It has to be said that i thought J Mills did a great dive over their goalkeeper to win maybe a not fully deserved penalty -what did others think

I was wondering about both our penalties, thinking that were quite like those we don't get.

Mills did look as though he bought the penalty but full marks for getting himself in that position - goalkeepers know they are taking a risk if they don't tougch the ball; Ebou was definitely bundled from behind.

When you watch them on the highlights they are both clear pens

A concern from yesterday must be Liam Shepard’s injury. He was just slowly getting back to himself but to go sown holding his knee after the injury he’s had is a big worry. I don’t know if it was the same one or if he is ok?
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:46 pm

so why when J mills jumps and rolls over the goalkeeper in the first penalty (brilliant technique and professionalism') without any contact with the gk -and maybe hedges/swerves the question a bit in post match interview -is that a clear penalty ?

i may question the amount of 'clearness' -but would agree fgr deserve a bit of the 'rub of the green '
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Because J Mills gets to the ball first and if he doesn’t go over the keeper he gets wacked and possibly injured. The keeper came flying out and didn’t get the ball leaving J Mills no option. If you watch it back on the highlights you’ll see.
He doesn’t have to make contact for it to be a foul the keeper was reckless and late.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Good to see the highlights and two penalties for me.

The highlights didn't include 2 good chances we had in the first half, and I didn't realise Liam S's chance at the end was so close.

Having said that crawley had their moments too, 2 of which were self inflicted. Lots to work on still...

Can't get down tuesday but looking forward to saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:48 am

Today's Times:
"GOAL OF THE WEEK" -
Aaron Collins - 'A superbly-placed finish saw the striker "pass" the ball into the net after a flowing three man passing move'.

Couldn't agree more :)
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:24 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Bit harsh on Hereford. They are on the way back from what I can see.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to FGR First Team