Pitch inspection

All about our First Team

Pitch inspection

Postby voodoobluesman » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:48 pm

The ref has already checked the pitch and wants to wait until 2:30 to see if it has improved. If not hes going to call it off.

The turnstiles will be closed until then.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Pitch inspection

Postby Bill Shankly » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Hopeless leaving it so late.

No time for plan b glawster v the cheats.

Still raining in Cainscross. ...
Bill Shankly
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:06 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Rain packed in at 2:0 PM Windsoredge, about 1/2 mile from the pitch. :o
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Great. It’s going ahead apparently!

Cant imagine the grounds man will be happy but I am
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Pitch played remarkably well, the worst area being the close to the western terrace, at the north end. Didn't stop us from passing Billericay to death and putting on a real show

I think the complaint about a late decision is totally unfair. Everyone would have wanted the game like to go ahead. After a cold frosty night, the rain only started in earnest at 10 and was forecast to finish around 3.00. Apart from some showers in the second half, that is what happened and I'm glad the pitch was deemed playable (which it was)

The club controls neither the weather nor the referee. The surface water by the western terrace obviously caused concern. But Adam and his helpers and the intriguing range of spiking and blotting machines did enough. Well done to them - thanks for your effective hard work
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:19 pm

And rested for another week should see the pitch ready to go once more with a final trim, thanks to Adam.

The East stand touchline stood up superbly to the lino running, unlike last season.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:21 pm

I wasn’t at the ground early enough to see the pitch drying efforts. Do we still have that roller thing that I remember from several years back that used to be rolled up and down the pitch to sort of scoop up the surface water? I’m not sure it was great for the grass but it certainly used to clear gallons off the pitch.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Tommo wrote:I wasn’t at the ground early enough to see the pitch drying efforts. Do we still have that roller thing that I remember from several years back that used to be rolled up and down the pitch to sort of scoop up the surface water? I’m not sure it was great for the grass but it certainly used to clear gallons off the pitch.

It was there and being well used. It was amazing to see how much water it extracted from the pitch.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:15 pm

I was intrigued by the machine that fired itself into the pitch with 2 spikes then visibly lifted the grass with i assume compressed air before dropping it again.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 am

Norton Boy that is called verti draining. It lifts the grass and the spikes go in to allow oxygen into the root system to promote growth.

As to New Forest Rover in another post the grounds man knows his pitch better than anyone. In my days for home matches I always had my ground staff in by 8am to check all at the ground was in good order and not just the pitch. I would call in at 8.30 and if needed be on my way.

When weather posed a potential issue with the pitch then contact will have been in place well before the day of the match with match referee, opposition and the Competition in which we were playing in.

All the plans one can have are in the long run determined by the actual weather which none of have any control over. No one can win no matter how hard you try. Often it is the elements and the timing which conspires to defeat you. And as Sod’s law often proved when you manage to defeat the weather the opposition defeat you. It’s not worth getting your blood pressure up over something you have no control over.

The referee is also the sole arbiter of whether a match is played or not. They are required to follow the guidelines as laid down in respect of pitch inspection s.

A bit like birth control you take all the precautions at your disposal but sometimes a mistake happens. When it does you have to live with it!!

Off to watch Chippenham v Northampton and hope their birth control plans are in place.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:14 pm

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:12 pm

FootieMan wrote:
A bit like birth control you take all the precautions at your disposal but sometimes a mistake happens. When it does you have to live with it!!

Hopefully 'it' will be a treasured baby boy/girl!

We met Northampton fans on holiday and we were all delighted with our team's performances! Another guy was a big Walsall fan and he was hoping they'd lose to Darlington, so their manager would be sacked. Darlo did not oblige, though they scored two goals at the death token the tie alive.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Confident the game was on then P/F. Took your pitchfork with you to help elsewhere. 8-)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi
Just out of interest the only game called off, Yeovil v Gateshead, involved the longest round trip for the visitors in the first round, nearly 700 mls., and it was called off at about 13:30.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 am

I think it all just goes with the territory of being a football supporter (aka masochist ).

its not a great feeling, but do you have to just accept that at least once a season, on a long away trip-things will 'go wrong '.

i may not go to that many fgr away games but make monthly winter journeys of 500 mile round trip to kent(more in the past ) to watch a damn football match which usually ends up in my favoured team losing .
i take a calculated risk-if the forecast is really poor-i may not risk it,no matter what the club may say the day before

even so-as the above posts , the weather still gets you at least once a year.
even on a 3G pitch .

Its not just the pitch though-if the weather don't get you, then the electricity power fails .
if its not that -the motorway is closed for a serious accident.
If you still get there ok,have allowed double the time for a trip ,and then the opposition /or match officials get stranded on a different closed motorway .

then there is the fog which rolls in off the cotswolds/north sea at the very last minute and you cant see the pitch .

so many uncontrollables.
you just factor in-a bit like budgerting-that at least one game a season-its just going to happen,no matter how much either you or the club plan
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 am

The BBC highlights programme yesterday, made a particular mention of the work that went into saving the FGR match, praising those involved. 'nuff said.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 am

as importantly-one post on here said it did not cut up too bad (unlike last season ?) and looked in reasonable order at end of game-can that be substantiated ?more rain this week-and a home game saturday ,so a lot of work required in non favourable conditions.

Its alright getting one game on, but has it ruined the pitch for rest of season ?

early report suggests not this time ? (yet )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team