Match thread from The New Lawn (Billericay) FA Cup

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Billericay) FA Cup

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Pitch looked like it held up quite well too which is a relief.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foreign Green » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:21 pm

What is also remarkable, from our toughest league rivals Exeter, Bradford, Newport, Cheltenham and Swindon were forced to replays.
It will take some extra energy during the busy season.
Foreign Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 pm

I hope you are right, but can't see myself it makes any difference whatsoever .

i think most players would prefer to play for 90 minutes than train for 4 hours
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Ebou seems to be m of m every game now ! (deservedly )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Great performance. Pray that Els is not as bad as the stretcher suggests

I guess ruthless finishing is the only thing we need to work at. Could have been 10. Ebou Adams advance is frightening - how good is he going to be. New extended contract please!

No disrespect guys, but whilst I'm pleased for CD, why is that commented on here? General chat is the right place and this young Rovers side deserves all our attention and praise on this thread
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Unlike FGR to take hurdles so smoothly!

Usefully from our point of view, several of our near competitors in EFL2 have replays to add to their Trophy games. Already 2 games back on some, the Robins (of Chelt) will not welcome yet another 90 minutes
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Mark put out a very strong team, but it proved a fairly easy game for FGR. It was 10 minutes before Billericay got to see the ball and most of the first half was played in their half. In fact, they didn't have one shot.

We still found them difficult to get through but two goals on the cusp of half-time effectively put the game out of reach for them. However, for all of our possession, we had less shots than in the first half at Cheltenham last week.

They had more of a go after half time and their first shot came within a minute of the restart. Our game reverted to more of what we saw last season and the start of this. A lot of passing but no real penetration.

I hope this is not a sign of change again. We have been much more exciting when we just go forwards. There were plenty of times in this game, especially in the second-half where we simply ended up going backwards.

One thing we were able to get plenty more practice at in the second half was playing out from the back. There were few long balls in this game.

Billericay did get the ball in the net. However, unlike Varney, who was adjudged on-side after Jo-Jo's spill last week, their scorer was adjudged offside capitalising from an identical situation this week.

Though their foul count was the lowest for any opponent this season, Billericay did manage to pick up two yellow cards. Possibly could have got another for the foul that took Elliot out of the game? Hopefully he won't be sidelined for long.

Though their team didn't score, despite playing some nice football when they had possession, a special mention for the Billericay following. They sang their hearts out. Even more than we do at away games. Apart from a couple of chants for the East we were subdued, the South Stand only coming to life at one of our corners.

Can't make Tuesday, but looking forward to next Saturday.

COYR
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Nice easy game for us. The passing wore Billericay out and it was only when we relaxed and tried (unsuccessfully) to avoid injury towards the end that they got much of a look in.

Lots of positives I thought, despite the poor opposition. Winchester is growing into the season and was my MotM although that is only so Adams doesn’t get it every game :). Collins linked up play well and Bernard, Rawson and Kitching looked solid as usual. The goals were well taken though I’m not sure how Mill’s shot got through the goalie. We should have scored more. The main positive is that we are into the next round.

Frear’s injury looked bad - how was it not a foul? I guess it’s ligaments so he’ll be out for a while. Shame.

Well done the grounds man for getting the game on but I wonder why so much water was on the point he given the investments in drainage over recent years.

I’m glad we played a strong team today. I suppose the reserves will be out at Walsall but they may play a weakened team too. Hopefully we can progress there too.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 pm

What was the attendance today?.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Freddy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:44 pm

Just over 1,400 with 300 from Billericay.
Freddy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DIESEL » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Game wise I thought we put out a decent starting 11 and showed Billericay the respect they deserved. It was a professional job on our part on the pitch.

Off the pitch though I would like to raise the pitch inspection debate again.
I arrived at 13:15 and upon entering the ground I stuck my head out of the concourse to check out the pitch. With the forecast for Saturday not changing in the previous 24 hours, it looked as though it would be playable come KO. I was then told we would not get an answer as to whether the game was on until 14:30. (I would just like to add my gratitude to the groundsman and his staff for all their effort, it did not go unnoticed!)
On entering the Gym Bar this was then advertised to the fans on Twitter and also the notice about the turn-styles being closed until a definative answer was given. I also learned that there has also been a pitch inspection in the morning at some point??
Now I only live 30 mins away and I felt for the Billericay fans who had travelled a great distance and were left in limbo until 30 minutes before KO.
The only announcement about what was happening was issued over the PA at 14:35. Up to that point it was basically word of mouth via Twitter and as it turns out I wasn’t the whole story.
Once again the fans are last to know what is happening and I think as a direct result of this the attendance was lower as people were stuck in limbo as to whether to head to the ground.
I realise we are at the mercy of the referee’s decision but the communication chain to the fans from the referee via the club needs to be reviewed, amended and rolled out ASAP.
This undoubtedly resulted in a lower attendance, meaning less atmosphere and less revenue.
I thought communication wise today, we looked very amateur!
DIESEL
Youth
Youth

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Good result but also pleased to be told that Elliot's injury is not as bad as first thought.
Apparently it is a bruised calf and he was walking around the changing room after the match.
I sincerely hope so.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:
No disrespect guys, but whilst I'm pleased for CD, why is that commented on here? General chat is the right place and this young Rovers side deserves all our attention and praise on this thread

Agree.
Can't understand this CD obsession.
He's gone!
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:44 pm

'For 35 minutes we did everything right and we frustrated them' Billericay boss Jamie O'Hara on 4-0 FA Cup defeat against Forest Green

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... est-green/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:12 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
Chrisgump11 wrote:

Agree.
He's gone!

So glad to hear CD get the goals he deserves. He will always be one of us!

Good game today, must by better socks, it's starting to get cold again watching football. I liked watching billericay play, thought they and their fans where very good. Especially their number 2, cant remember his name right now.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:13 am

Couldn't make it today. Too much manure.

On the CD thing, he's one of our own who'd gone on to better things. EF is one of our own who has come back and will be part of the next big push.

Never say never...

Glad to see we took tricky dicky seriously.

Looking forward to Plymouth Argyle next Saturday, proper big game, and then a short trip for me to Leyton...
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:43 am

NewForestRover wrote:
Chrisgump11 wrote:

Agree.
He's gone!

Well I’d have thought that you more than anyone would understand player obsessions. And not necessarily players that were quite as significant as Doidge...! :D
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Any news on Elliot, following his stretchering off? Hope it's Good news.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:30 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team