Match thread from The Bescot Stadium (Walsall FC) LT.

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Bescot Stadium (Walsall FC) LT.

Postby Earl » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:34 am

I’ll never do that again.
A complete waste of my time and money.
Thanks for nothing.
Earl
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:43 am

michael wrote:winning is a habit/losing is a habit .

I wonder how the 'does not matter 'brigade will feel in 11 days if FGR lose to Plymouth and are then put out of the FA Cup by carlisle ?

If fgr win both -MC will be vindicated '
If not it will be a long long winter .

No rule saying fgr would win tonight, whatever team played-but losing 6-0 thats poor .

Yes, that pretty much sums up my viewpoint. MC says he didn’t learn anything from the game but surely then, we should be offloading some of the guys who really aren’t good enough and getting in a couple more who are.

For me, the result showed that the squad isn’t deep enough to last the season in the top three. It’s good that Mills and Dawson got some minutes - we’ll need them, but we are bound to pick up more injuries and suspensions and we’ll need cover for them.

I of course hope that we can win Saturday and move on, but, as you say, winning is a habit and so is losing.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Main Stander » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:52 am

Cant believe anyone on this forum tried taking this competition seriously? we had 2 X 16 year olds and a 17 year old in the sstarting 11. Matt Mills has been out of the team for afew weeks with Injury, Smith has hardly had a sniff all season, McGinley has been out of favour too and this was his first game for a long time, Taylor in midfield is useless and has been an awful signing and hopefully signed only for games like this, Mondal has fallen out of favour and Godwin Malife has been in and out of the team as and when required... You surely cant expect a result from that mess of a team.

People are talking depth of squad, we have more than enough cover, and you have to remember in a League 2 match, the squad players will be mixing with our first 11, not 3 kids from the academy and players that havent played for weeks.
Last edited by Main Stander on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Main Stander
First Team
First Team

Postby Dougal » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:54 am

Aa much as I'm not bothered that we are out the comp, I would be pretty annoyed if I'd travelled. Fingers crossed we put on an epic performance on Saturday to justify the resting of players.
Dougal
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:11 am

Looking forward to Saturday.

The next stern test.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:32 am

Well, like 66 others, I travelled. Didn't help the mood that Walsall seemed to forget there were away fans, and did not open a turnstile until 25 minutes before kick off - until then, we stood in the rain

I have no issue with the team we put out. Saturday's game in tricky conditions would have been draining for our first pick. Also, we lost yet another player to injury - Elliott Frear. In an earlier cup round we lost Dayle Grubb & Liam Sheppard in the first few minutes - remembe? And on Saturday we play improving Plymouth who did not have a game yesterday and will be 'fresh'. So, this had to be a question of priorities as we do not have the bodies to suffer more injuries

Anyhow, there was a nucleus of players yesterday from the 1st team subs bench, or returning from injury , who last season and for some of this season were considered 1st team shoe-ins: Adam Smith, Matt Mills, Udo Godwin-Malife, Nathan McGinley, Jamie Morton, Kyle Taylor, Junior Mondal and Aaron Collins. Isaiah Jones, Bunker & Covil made up the starting XI with Kevin Dawson on the bench. On paper anyway, not a bad XI but admittedly some short on match time or maybe not match fit (one of the purposes of playing them) . And in the case of the Development youngsters a tough call against a strong Walsall team that had had a very public flea put in their ear by their increasingly isolated manager.

After a promising first 15 or 20 minutes where we played comfortably and made several good chances, Walsall began to put their game together. Soon enough, we found out that we were very vulnerable on the left side where Mondal, Matt Mills & Nathan McGinley were way off the pace and no one seemed to communicate with Adam Smith. The first two goals were poor work by all of them. Up front, the lightweight attack was still making inroads aided by superb cross field balls from Jamie Morton, but all fizzled out on the final ball or overambitious dribbles in the box

Second half got off in the worst possible way with a disputed hand-ball by Udo and Aaron would not stop ranting about the unfairness, ending in an early bath. The game ceased to be a contest at that point. Not fun to watch

However, a small squad based around talented young players means that it will stretch to breaking point on occasion. This was it. Do I blame Coops or the players or want my tenner back? Of course not. On the basis that players reimburse the supporters for bad performances (and vice versa) the former are thousands IN CREDIT for their remarkable displays & results so far.

Yesterday, Coops would have hoped that experience might have triumphed over fitness & youthful energy over maturity, enough for a losing draw maybe. It was not to be. Horrible to view but let it be.

For what its worth, I'll be off to Dulwich tomorrow for the next round of the FA Youth Cup where the 3 Academicians mentioned above plus the 'Dans' will be playing a side with a great reputation (not least for producing Ethan Pinnock). Hopefully, a hangover cure!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 am

For people to be complaining about us putting out a weakened team in this competition that most fans boycott and is half full of actual reserve sides anyway is bizarre. This young squad has performed amazingly so far this season, and we cannot afford to risk needless injuries to key players just for the sake of a second rate cup. Virtually all teams do it and MC even said we would after Saturday, so no one who travelled should have been surprised.

The team we put out wasn't that bad on paper anyway, would anyone on here really have preferred the likes of J. Mills, Shephard, Rawson, Adams, Winchester, Aitchison etc to be risked given the amount of big games we have coming up.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 am

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foreign Green » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:58 am

Chrisgump11 wrote:Anyhow, there was a nucleus of players yesterday from the 1st team subs bench, or returning from injury , who last season and for some of this season were considered 1st team shoe-ins: Adam Smith, Matt Mills, Udo Godwin-Malife, Nathan McGinley, Jamie Morton, Kyle Taylor, Junior Mondal and Aaron Collins. Isaiah Jones, Bunker & Covil made up the starting XI with Kevin Dawson on the bench. On paper anyway, not a bad XI but admittedly some short on match time or maybe not match fit (one of the purposes of playing them) . And in the case of the Development youngsters a tough call against a strong Walsall team that had had a very public flea put in their ear by their increasingly isolated manager.

Agree. Some are moaning about the selection, but I guess this selection could have been nearly our best in the start of the season, and no one had had a reason to complain.

Matt Mills was expected to be our key central DF (competing with Rawson about being the leading figure of our defence).
Nate McGinley was a solid performer last season, and I´m sure many ranked him above for example Liam Kitching.
Udoka Godwin-Malife had improved (like young players tend to do) from last season - and had some promising games in August and September.
Morton was purchased on loan to be a more or less regular opener, a skillfull all-round fighter in midfield.
Taylor was purchased on loan to be perhaps even our key playmaker, at best case a substitute for Reece Brown.
Collins also a key attacker, who would score a lot of goals.
Mondal was good in some last games of last season, and there would have been all reasons to expect, he had improved and become a good, scoring winger.
Adam Smith was an experienced keeper, who supposedly would do his job even in L2 level, let alone in EFL trophy.

Only the youngsters Jones, Covil and Bunker would have been clearly out of our best selection in any case. But they told Covil had a very promising game against Coventry in the previous round.

Of course it was a heavy disappointment to be beaten 6-0. In any competition we participate, we should try to get as up as it´s possible. That´s the core of sports.

But I wouldn´t blame MC, we were knocked out on purpose. He gave a fair chance to a half dozen non-regular openers to show, what they could and what they had been made of. But evidently those players didn´t take the challenge and show they would be worth of the first selection in league games. Don´t know why - maybe some were simply rusty - because they hadn´t had enough games.

But this is sports, and off-games just happen every now and then. That´s more normal than abnormal.

So don´t panic! The season wouldn´t be ruined because of this loss.
Foreign Green
Reserves
Reserves

Walsall 6-0 Forest Green: The Verdict

Postby Bobby Vincent GL » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:32 pm

The "fringe" players need to do more if they want a future at Forest Green and four other points from yesterday evening's heavy loss at Walsall...

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... er-3533394
Bobby Vincent GL
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Agree about the fringe players needing to do more, particularly the attacking ones. With Frear injured we need other players capable of stepping off the bench and making an impact when any of the front 3 tire or whatever. At the moment the likes of Mondal and Taylor aren't doing enough, which is disappointing. Junior in particular I had high hopes for, he has talent but he's got to step it up now the bar has been raised by the players ahead of him. Likewise Grubb when he's fit.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:47 pm

But I wouldn´t blame MC, we were knocked out on purpose. He gave a fair chance to a half dozen non-regular openers to show, what they could and what they had been made of. But evidently those players didn´t take the challenge and show they would be worth of the first selection in league games. Don´t know why - maybe some were simply rusty - because they hadn´t had enough games.

But this is sports, and off-games just happen every now and then. That´s more normal than abnormal.

So don´t panic! The season wouldn´t be ruined because of this loss.

that makes sense and agree with most of it-you simply don't win every game.

where i perhaps differ with many though is that i tend to see things from a fame and fortune perspective :

this was the best chance of FGR getting to wembley (win just 4 more games -fame ) and should they have got that far-collect over £100k along the way .
fine to ignore if you have a bottomless pit of money,but i can't see thats the case-and money brings a bit of security and certainty .
simply seems a lot easier to me to win 4 more games and put effort into that ,than win probably another 22 league games,and/or fa cup games prob against significantly higher division clubs.

probably a good job i am not chairman then as i would be instructing Mr C to put every effort in winning this trophy .
i would be turning it on its head and thinking laterally .
league games-even if you lose-you get a 'second chance to recover a loss ' with the next game. Cup games you need to win the tie -no second chances

some will say that the league is the bigger picture/priority -fine -maybe it is -but are the odds in favour are so much better in winning the leasing .com trophy -and i equally see no reason why you can't go for both -again-winning becomes a habit .

perhaps i am just lazy-but for me-you take the potentially easiest route to fame and fortune,-just like the match itself-be pragmatic and play the percentages ) and as success breeds success (lincoln and others )winning (or losing ) becomes habits .
You never know-you may get promoted and win the fa cup as well as the leasing.com trophy .

always struck me as odd how players don't get tired and when they are winning games no matter how many they play !
Last edited by michael on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
Previous worst result: 05/09/2009 - 7-0 defeat to Cambridge United.

LM

Thanks LM, you have not let me down.
We were wondering on coach when was last such big loss, and I said Lady Magpie will know and even before coach was back in Gloucestershire you'd posted that info. :D
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 pm

For me the result is ultimately disappointing because against Southampton the players were "up for it" and even though we took a bit of a battering against Coventry we still picked up points thanks to a clean sheet and some good penalties.

It seems strange then that having put in the effort in those 2 games to progress to the next round that we should go out with a whimper last night.

Pleased to say that on this occasion I wasn't there (already been to Walsall once this season !!)

I'm not so unhappy with the team selection albeit it did smack of putting up the white flag even before we'd started. Maybe in different circumstances Walsall would have played a similar group of players and we could have got what we needed from the game.

Like others however I think the mindset has changed and the focus is both on promotion and getting beyond 2nd Round in the FA Cup and having picked up injuries along the way Coops wont want anything else getting in the way and affecting our chances ............. works for me and looking forward to a big crowd a good atmosphere and a win on Saturday !!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 pm

It seems strange then that having put in the effort in those 2 games to progress to the next round that we should go out with a whimper last night.

agree-that is also one of the things i 'just don't get '-for the sake of one game .

the same as night follows day, the league fixtures come out at start of season-so you always know you have league games after midweek cup games.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:38 pm

The context of any situation is very important. @FGRFC_Official were beaten 6-0 after making 10 changes from Saturday. Mark Cooper blooded a number of academy players and it may have been a chastening night at @WFCOfficial, but it will be a good learning curve.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:07 pm

I fairness to Matt Mills and others, they are clearly not yet match fit, and it showed. But what better game to use as a step along the way?

Looking forward to The Dans, Isaiah & co having a go at kids their age tomorrow!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Could have been worse.

Cheltenham made 5 changes, Newport 6 but lost 4-7. Reidy made his first comeback run-out after injury. Even though it was a 'local derby' smaller crowd at the Rocky Horror even than at Walsall, and fewer Newport fans than FGR at Walsall

Anyway, feel very chipper. Earlier was entertained by a lovely azure blue Kingfisher whilst walking along the canal near Ebley. First I've seen in the wild for yonks. Every time I set my mobile to photo, he flew to the next tree! Lovely sight
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:27 pm

See you at Dulwich tomorrow night - should be a good game.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:49 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:At end of game an absolute unbelievable turn prevented a number of fans immediately leaving the arena.
A few of us had gone to the WC in preparation for trip back to Gloucestershire but when we walked back into corridor we were all corralled and told to stay put as security had found an unidentified object buried in the sand.
Security refused point blank to allow us out of stadium by normal exit. They wanted us to leave by another door but it was locked and we stood for many minutes twiddling our thumbs.
Eventually we were all told to leave by yet another door. By then a very impatient coach passenger was getting het up with wait despite not knowing reason for delay. The miserable so-and-so was probably already peeved off after watching the 0-6 match loss.

What was the object buried in the sand?
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team