Match thread from The New Lawn (Plymouth Argyle)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Plymouth Argyle)

Postby michael » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:45 pm

The Jovial Forester wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:...I have never seen such a cheating side as this Plymouth Argyle. ...

Why do you say that LM? Didn't see anything out of the ordinary and we clattered them a few times and got away with it too. All seemed par for the course for a Div 4 game.

agree entirely.

this ain't tiddlywinks.
professional performance by PA
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby roy of the rovers » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Dreadful referee.plymouth just played him and he lapped it up.we huffed and puffed but lacked a bit of class in front of goal.not a bad performance but we need to be a bit more street savvy.
roy of the rovers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:58 pm

As you go up the leagues and chances become fewer and fewer ,and then you don't concentrate/switch off from a short corner you deserve to lose.

throw into the mix that Winchester was below average, j mills was below average in his 45 minutes, and shepherd was anonymous; so of the 4 in midfield ,only one was effective.Yyou are not going to win many football matches in the EFL when that happens

none of those 3 have become bad players ,and they can't be really good every game.
unfortunately,all 3 of them were well below par today and on the same day,so whilst FGR did not look great up front ,they had little to go on.

again-next week-winchester, shepherd and mills will prob be outstanding-but the three of them were poor today -unusual but fact
(albeit i still think that mills and shepherd also get lost in 'no-mans land' in midfield, even on their good days and are 'wasted '.

resting them tuesday worked well then.!!
-hasn't seemed to do walsall too much harm playing a stronger side and winning today either

not a great week ,and i don't think tuesday helped-losing is a habit -different starting 11 , maybe but same squad .

as an aside-i thought the referee was very very good.
to me he got virtually every decision right, excepting maybe missed one foul on adams halfway through second half.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby roy of the rovers » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 pm

I respect anyones opinion, but if that was a good referee God help us when we get a bad one.
roy of the rovers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Too many players off their game today against a fairly decent Plymouth side. Sheps, Mills, Collins, Winchester were all below par, but it’s not often that happens. Felt like we lost a good few headers too.

Plymouth players and fans did a professional job on the referee and crucially his assistants. Nothing glaring, but they got all the 50:50 decisions.

Putting Matt Mills on up front at the end was quite entertaining. To be honest I prefer him on the pitch rather than in the technical area. He’s a bit hot headed for my liking, especially in the moments when you want to project a bit of calm on to the players.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Football Poets » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Messy game and we just weren't on it. Not sure if we deserved a point. Fell into the time-wasting trap.

Can anyone explain though or throw any light on/discuss why....when the chips are down ....and in the really important BIG games AT HOME... we never seem to beat the bigger teams in this League? Especially when they bring 800/1000/1200.

Are we intimidated? Less confident ?

Today reminded me of the Newport game here earier.
Aside from snatching a draw at home to Cheltenham, we never seem to beat the likes of Swindon. Newport. Lincoln. Tranmere(in the Play Off here), Exeter ..and going back Bristol Rovers .

Just saying...but it's a key aspect... if we are to progress from this league.

Best bit ? Seeing Girish back with the samosas.
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only known collective of football poets in the World" BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16500 football poems published.
Football Poets http://footballpoets.org & https://www.facebook.com/FootballPoets/
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Thommo999 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Thought the ref today was poor, but both teams faired the same in terms of wrong decisions. Plymouth’s game plan worked a treat once they had scored and it’s a shame we didn’t get one of our early chances... what was annoying today was the amount of time wasting and rolling around on the floor from Plymouth - unfortunately it worked as they stopped our momentum every time we were putting pressure on them....
Thommo999
Youth
Youth

Postby Dougal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 pm

michael wrote:... as an aside-i thought the referee was very very good.
to me he got virtually every decision right, excepting maybe missed one foul on adams halfway through second half.

Omg - either from another planet or watching a different game!!! (imo!)
Dougal
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:34 pm

michael wrote:As you go up the leagues and chances become fewer and fewer ,and then you don't concentrate/switch off from a short corner you deserve to lose.

throw into the mix that Winchester was below average, j mills was below average in his 45 minutes, and shepherd was anonymous; so of the 4 in midfield ,only one was effective.Yyou are not going to win many football matches in the EFL when that happens

none of those 3 have become bad players ,and they can't be really good every game.
unfortunately,all 3 of them were well below par today and on the same day,so whilst FGR did not look great up front ,they had little to go on.

again-next week-winchester, shepherd and mills will prob be outstanding-but the three of them were poor today -unusual but fact
(albeit i still think that mills and shepherd also get lost in 'no-mans land' in midfield, even on their good days and are 'wasted '.

resting them tuesday worked well then.!!
-hasn't seemed to do walsall too much harm playing a stronger side and winning today either

not a great week ,and i don't think tuesday helped-losing is a habit -different starting 11 , maybe but same squad .

as an aside-i thought the referee was very very good.

You thought the referee was very good???

You are either a troll, or have not a clue about football, most of us knowlegable fans were commenting how out of depth the referee was, the worst ever and that is saying something!!!
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Totally agree with Football Poets, above. Why cannot we beat these sides at home , when with anticipation for a favourable win, we cannot get over the line. It shows a real lack of consistency of performance, a trait that will haunt us in the coming months, and dampen our hopes of automatic promotion.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Didn’t think we did a lot wrong in that game.

Unlike us, a ‘player’ forgetting to come back and mark, cost the goal. Just what Plymouth wanted. We made some great positions but as Coops alluded, poor final ball or weak finishing (and maybe a little bad luck) stopped the equaliser we deserved

Sure, Argyles time wasting and ‘gamesmanship’ was hard to take. But I’ve seen us do similar stuff defending leads. In the end, the officials have to do their jobs and as so often today’s failed miserably.

The studs-in challenge in the first seconds was probably the worst foul of the game ( no card given) closely matched by the appalling challenge on the edge of Argyle’s box not long before HT. That not even a foul was given was laughable. As usual, Rovers conceded few fouls in the first half though Argyle gave away many. Yet Liam Kitching and Dom Bernard we’re both carded for their first fouls which were no more than barges from behind. Yet again, pathetic refereeing- if you want respect, respect a side that plays fairly.

Second half saw pressure but too few clear chances as Plymouth funnelled back. Frustrating when nearly 4,000 were creating the best atmosphere at TNL this term

All in all, we’ve played worse and won. Reminiscent of the home game v Bury last term. Getting congested at the top

Main worry. Ebou Adams might do a better job of disguising what an amazing player he’s becoming. Stop drawing attention to yourself Ebou - we want you for a year or two yet!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Never read other posts before I post so sorry if I’m repeating anyone, we were bullied, out-fanned, and, made to feel like the away side today, yes we tried our best, but the truth is their fans constant shouting at west terrace lineman worked perfectly for them, along with their sides constant time wasting from the 35th min was a testament to their fear of us but also rather sad from a well supported team who are better than that , it was embarrassing on their part, however despite the ref constantly holding his watch up, bookings didn’t happen until late, and only 6 mins added? 12 would have been more like it, still don’t think we would have failed to score, we were strong in the last ten mins but it wasn’t our day. Come January we need a striker, sorry but ours aren’t good enough if we want to go up, finally stewards!! What was that all about? 15 year old kid trying to stop 500 of their fans invading the pitch, two managed, no recourse I assume? We are still doing really well, but we were put in our place today by awful but effective tactics.
doggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Dougal wrote:
michael wrote:... as an aside-i thought the referee was very very good.

Omg - either from another planet or watching a different game!!! (imo!)

Michael, were you actually there ? Ref and linesman both bottled under pressure re their fans, happening far too often, FA needs a major shake up ASAP Mr. Riley!!
doggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Just to add, Plymouth fans in SS today, no trouble at all but awful stewarding!!
doggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:51 pm

I can live with a 1-0 loss to PAFC, but a carriage load of PA supporters singing Showaddywaddy songs... crossed the line.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:08 pm

I agree with a lot of the comments so far but with not Michael's praise of the ref. I thought he got too many decisions wrong including the one in the first minute or two when he should have had a stiff talking to - at least - with the perpetrator of their first tackle. Kitchin got a booking for an innocuous push - it was a foul yeah, but it was our first one. Similarly, Bernard's booking was soft given what Plymouth were dishing out.

I was very irritated by the timewasting but we know that we would have slowed the game down as they did had we been in front away from home. More irritating was their falling over at the slightest touch and the ref and lino seemed to be taken in every time. Having said that, we were a little naïve at times in giving away fouls.

MC got it right I think in his post match interview. Our final ball in and around the box just wasn't good enough. Shephard had a bit of an off day and not enough went through Winchester and Adams in the middle third of the match. Collins had a mixed game - some great passes but also some lethargy and he should have passed to Aitch when in on goal early on.

Difficult to pick MotM. Adams is always going to be an out in those circumstances but I'd have given it to Aitchison despite him drifting out of the game for a while in the first half.

If we keep playing with the heart that we did today then we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season but we do need to create a few more chances still. Our defence continues to look sound and if we can avoid injuries we have a quality squad to take us to in and around the playoffs/promotion places. Plymouth (Bradford and Swindon) will also be up there and its important we get something from the Swindon game just before Christmas.

Its also important that we bounce back next week at Orient. Then we have a tricky run of fixtures leading up to Christmas. It we are where we are today in the table at Christmas, I shall be very happy.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Re: antics and time wasting. I hate it myself - but remember how most of us cheered and celebrated liam noble's antics at wembley around 88 minutes, while tranny fans were pulling their hair out. Just saying...
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:13 pm

Timb wrote:I can live with a 1-0 loss to PAFC, but a carriage load of PA supporters singing Showaddywaddy songs... crossed the line.

That is just shocking TimB .I do hope you get over it. I know you will, but longterm it's something I'd never want imposed on anyone.
Well done for surviving mate. That's why were the club we are. Unfazed and un- flinching fans one an all!

PS I just hope (but fear the worst) that they didn't inflict Under The Moon of Love on you, God forbid.
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only known collective of football poets in the World" BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16500 football poems published.
Football Poets http://footballpoets.org & https://www.facebook.com/FootballPoets/
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Michael says the referee wasnt only good but very very good. Cant really use words i would like to because i would be banned from forum but i will say i thought the referee was very very poor. Plymouth players were constantly throwing themselves to the ground, think their right back alone must have been treated 4/5 times by their physio and referee was falling for it. Would give ref a 4.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:20 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team