Match thread from The New Lawn (Plymouth Argyle)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Plymouth Argyle)

Postby man_of_kent » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Not there and disappointed we lost. Big picture is we are having a great season and really in the mix with results and performances for a automatic promotion spot.

Why is there a very strong correlation between manager/fans complaining about the ref when they lose but a very weak correlation when they win. Is it not just a case of being bad losers rather really an accurate representation of the officials performances.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 pm

I don’t know what pleasure the referee gets from being clueless and incompetent at his job. He really should try something different away from football.

Plymouth are a good team but undermined by the most cynical cheating since the charmless Cowley brothers graced the New Lawn. The continual cheating and breaking up play was clearly Plymouth’s game plan and spoilt what should have been a thrilling encounter.

It also needs saying that several FGR players fell down ‘injured’ and shot back up when ignored by the ref and others were guilty of needles fouls in dangerous areas and going down too easily in the box looking for a penalty.

A draw would have been a fair result but lack of shooting when in space and poor finishing resulted in a disappointing loss.

This team is more than capable of reaching the playoffs or better but must learn to manage and control the big games against the big teams.
Earl
First Team
First Team

Postby Tom FGR » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Ref was incredibly poor for both sides. He was really out of his depth, genuinely felt sorry for him, he lost control of the game and his own emotions when he starting dishing out yellows for pushes.

A bigger issue for me is we really struggle against those with bigger away followings. The away end is poor imo, it makes it feel as though the away fans are everywhere. Stick them behind the goal and I don't think Plymouth would have got half of those decisions.
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:59 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
michael wrote:

You thought the referee was very good???

You are either a troll, or have not a clue about football, most of us knowlegable fans were commenting how out of depth the referee was, the worst ever and that is saying something!!!

probably both .
seems forest green lost .
-is the worst ever performance by the referee going to be the worst ever until fgr lose again and the next worst ever referee takes over ?

as you promote your good self as one of those knowledgeable fans, can you help me out please and tell me what i need to do to become one of those as well-i would be really proud.I promise to work hard at it .
if you are a knowledgeable fan-do you automatically become one of those 'real' fans as well ?
Last edited by michael on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:05 pm

man_of_kent wrote:
Why is there a very strong correlation between manager/fans complaining about the ref when they lose but a very weak correlation when they win. Is it not just a case of being bad losers rather really an accurate representation of the officials performances.

careful m of k -you'll be in the same club as me by suggesting something like that ,and also have to go on the 'how to become a knowledgeable fan 'training course ' so please never consider anything like that ever again.
Last edited by michael on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:12 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andyp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 pm

2 points about today’s game:
1) I thought we were the masters of the dark arts in league 2, Plymouth took it it to a level beyond today.
2) Plymouth fans. Yes they travelled in numbers, but their reaction at the end was embarrassing. They had beaten Forest Green, not Barcelona.
andyp
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FootieMan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:33 am

Football .......don’t you just love it!

Fans in wrong places!
Referee shouldn’t have been handed game - too big a one!
Defenders not defending!
Strikers not shooting or passing!
Fans being ejected for no reason (allegedly)!
Away fans berated for thinking they’ve beaten Barcelona!
Manager swearing during a LIVE BBC interview!
Policemen and Stewards walking along 1st Floor carpets with dirty boots to get to Control Room!
Meeting people who had had too much to drink!
Meeting some people in FGR favours who couldn’t care less the team lost!
Meeting some people in FGR favours who were incensed that the team lost!
Meeting some people asking why has the Gloucester City Manager been sacked!
Watching an absorbing match which spoke volumes for the way modern football is played!
2600 home fans - 1200 away fans!
We are a small fish in a big pond!
What might happen if we do ever beat Barcelona!
The bloke near my seat who’s kids spend more time out of theirs than a no show season ticket holder!
The bloke who I set my watch to that it’s 7 minutes before half time because it’s beat the curry and chips queue!
The lady who sits next to me and doesn’t say anything all match, clap or cheer!

Football.......don’t you just love it!
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby montyc » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:53 am

Well, that was one straight from the Cowley boys book of "How to Con the Referee". How did that ref get to referee a match so big as this one, terrible decision by who ever was responsible. Not sure why Plymouth decided to adopt that style of play, looked a decent outfit anyway. We were poor, top players not performing, poor day all round.

MC keep his powder dry, fair play to him for that (didn't hear the radio interview), referee would be better suited doing the rounds on a Sunday morning league. :lol:
GREEN ARMY, GREEN ARMY
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:36 am

Poetry Footieman ?

I didn't think it was your strong point.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am

FootieMan wrote:Football .......don’t you just love it!

Fans in wrong places!
Referee shouldn’t have been handed game - too big a one!
Defenders not defending!
Strikers not shooting or passing!
Fans being ejected for no reason (allegedly)!
Away fans berated for thinking they’ve beaten Barcelona!
Manager swearing during a LIVE BBC interview!
Policemen and Stewards walking along 1st Floor carpets with dirty boots to get to Control Room!
Meeting people who had had too much to drink!
Meeting some people in FGR favours who couldn’t care less the team lost!
Meeting some people in FGR favours who were incensed that the team lost!
Meeting some people asking why has the Gloucester City Manager been sacked!
Watching an absorbing match which spoke volumes for the way modern football is played!
2600 home fans - 1200 away fans!
We are a small fish in a big pond!
What might happen if we do ever beat Barcelona!
The bloke near my seat who’s kids spend more time out of theirs than a no show season ticket holder!
The bloke who I set my watch to that it’s 7 minutes before half time because it’s beat the curry and chips queue!
The lady who sits next to me and doesn’t say anything all match, clap or cheer!

Football.......don’t you just love it!

A couple more for the list:

That guy who at some point in every home game will tell the away team manager to ‘Shut up!’
That guy who at every home game will accuse a fouled player of being ‘a poof’ or ‘a fairy’.
That guy who repeatedly shouts ‘Come on Forest’, apparently believing he’s in Nottingham.
That guy who coaches the team from Row K in the belief that the team can hear him.
Those guys who maintain a ‘Ron Manager’-style commentary between them throughout the game, using every punditry cliche in the book.
That guy who spends the entire game checking the latest betting odds on his phone.
That guy who refers to the ‘Touch Judge’ instead of the ‘Lino’.
Those kids who berate the Fourth Official for not getting the away manager ‘back in his box’, because that’s what their dad shouts.

TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:15 pm

The Jovial Forester wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:...I have never seen such a cheating side as this Plymouth Argyle. ...

Why do you say that LM? Didn't see anything out of the ordinary and we clattered them a few times and got away with it too. All seemed par for the course for a Div 4 game.

I hope you've read the following 3 pages since I made my comment, I therefore rest my case. Secondly I'm allowed my own opinion without having to explain the reasons JF.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
The Jovial Forester wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:...I have never seen such a cheating side as this Plymouth Argyle. ...

Why do you say that LM? Didn't see anything out of the ordinary and we clattered them a few times and got away with it too. All seemed par for the course for a Div 4 game.

I hope you've read the following 3 pages since I made my comment, I therefore rest my case. Secondly I'm allowed my own opinion without having to explain the reasons JF.

LM

It was a genuine question, these are discussions boards, that's why when you offer an opinion others might offer theirs.
Watched the whole thing on a video stream, maybe it was more obvious in the ground but didn't see much worse than the usual from Argyle, hence me asking, thought I might have missed something. Despite many other sharing your opinion, still don't think they stood out as Cowley-esque or even that the ref was that bad. Thought he missed a few, but then they all do, and Ebou got a talking to for a flailing arm in one of their lad's faces when could imagine a yellow or worse from other refs.
We were just that little bit short going forward and they got back well is the sum of it for me.
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:36 pm

The Football League Paper report also shares the same view.

Anyway, time to move on. Leyton away next saturday, new ground, looking forward to it.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Thought we had a strong team out and looked sharp early on but was a bit concerned about our bench strength especially in an attacking sense.

Thought the ref bottled the challenge on Collins after about 20 seconds and so the tone was set. Don't think Plymouth were a dirty side just niggly in the right areas of the pitch to break down any flow for us.

In truth we should have been ahead when Collins and Aitchison raced through 2 against 1 and Jack will be disappointed with his poor effort from Steven's cushioned header in the 2nd half.

We deserved better but all teams have days like that so a win on the road next Saturday is really important for us.

Thought we might have just topped 4000 yesterday but still a good crowd and good atmosphere just the wrong result unfortunately !
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Football Poets wrote:Messy game and we just weren't on it. Not sure if we deserved a point. Fell into the time-wasting trap.

Can anyone explain though or throw any light on/discuss why....when the chips are down ....and in the really important BIG games AT HOME... we never seem to beat the bigger teams in this League? Especially when they bring 800/1000/1200.

Are we intimidated? Less confident ?

Today reminded me of the Newport game here earier.
Aside from snatching a draw at home to Cheltenham, we never seem to beat the likes of Swindon. Newport. Lincoln. Tranmere(in the Play Off here), Exeter ..and going back Bristol Rovers .

Just saying...but it's a key aspect... if we are to progress from this league..

No i can't explain,but i offer a view for debate :

simply because fgr are not quite good enough.

again-promotion aspirations are maybe a season too early for a club of fgr's size who 'have not been there before (unlike the lincolns and tranmeres ) who have been there and done it .
thats not to say fgr cannot and won't do it-but it may just take a bit longer.

-wasn't it 3 season that fgr hovered around top of national league before finally 'doing it '.

Furthermore-to me (and rightly so) the club is not solely focused on promotion.
It has two definite BUSINESS agendas which are
a) get promoted

b ) be sustainable/develop assets for a profit -Players .

whilst many clubs state the latter-its a bit of a side show/bonus
FGR actively want to make a profit from their assets.

-again-i am good with that .

A?If fgr finish 9th and sell two players for £300k -thats a successful season imo
(or significant cup runs with plenty of prize money gained )

B/If fgr get promoted and don't sell a player-thats also successful.

C/finish 9th and dont sell a player/cup run for a significant profit-not so good .

Ideally you want both .
Most supporters simply want option B.

I (minority ) am equally happy if just option A is achieved,as it helps the club be financially sustainable-and leads to better investment-and better chance of achieving B the following season.
For me-its all about the money -its not my money-but it makes long term steady growth more achievable

I am amazed and delighted-credit all around - that there is a chance of option A this season ,but at the moment fgr are still realistically establishing themselves as an efl club.They are not yet an established 'big club '-and i use 'big 'in the terms of being a big fish to beat (despite plymouths post match celebrations yesterday .

I still maintain that this season-there is a long way to go and to date this season-fgr are overachieving.

like most followers- i dread the 'losing streak'-it is inevitable-just a question of when.
my fear is that the walsall capitulation has set it off .If fgr lose to orient (i'd take a point now ) and then carlisle ,things may not be looking great .
maybe my forecast of 19th this season is looking a little bit under pressure ,but i still think they will struggle to finish top half -and if they do finish 14-16th-nothing wrong with that (for this season at least ).
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Think we missed Frear, firstly for his obvious quality on and off the ball plus crossing ability and secondly because it's becoming apparent that going forward Stevens, Atchison, Collins along with Elliott are all a cut above our other options, meaning that when one of those 4 is out we don't have anyone capable of stepping off the bench and making any real impact, if like yesterday, we're in need of some inspiration.

Hopefully George Williams will be back soon, but until then some of our other attacking options really need to step it up, the likes of Mondal and Grubb (when fit) have the ability, but they need to start producing otherwise it's somewhere we'll need to strengthen in January.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:53 pm

I think I may be the only one who enjoyed the game.

Some cracking football!

COYR
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:I think I may be the only one who enjoyed the game.

Some cracking football!

COYR

I know what you mean, we had some great moves and build-up, but then too often there'd be a poor trap or one pass to many and it was argh. In the end took a great hit from Sarcevic to undo us too. Definitely not far off it and reckon micheal's just got a bee in his bonnet about the Checkafraud loss to Walsall, don't think we looked affected by that at all.
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Think we missed Frear, firstly for his obvious quality on and off the ball plus crossing ability and secondly because it's becoming apparent that going forward Stevens, Atchison, Collins along with Elliott are all a cut above our other options, meaning that when one of those 4 is out we don't have anyone capable of stepping off the bench and making any real impact, if like yesterday, we're in need of some inspiration.

Hopefully George Williams will be back soon, but until then some of our other attacking options really need to step it up, the likes of Mondal and Grubb (when fit) have the ability, but they need to start producing otherwise it's somewhere we'll need to strengthen in January.

Agreed. The squad needs some additions/changes if contracts allow. We are too thinly stretched when we have more than one injury/suspension in any of the main departments of the team - defence, midfield, attack. With Frear out, we have few alternatives up front. Bringing in Matt Mills up front was quite effective but highlighted the small size of the squad
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team