Match thread from The New Lawn (Plymouth Argyle)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Plymouth Argyle)

Postby twoguns » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Really enjoyed the game yesterday despite the defeat but thought we deserved a point unlike the Exeter game.

I went to the game with my son and we decided to have some lunch in the Green Man. Although busy it was comfortable and no huge queue at the bar or food outlet. What was disappointing was the food on offer. Everything was sold out except the chips, chips with curry sauce or the sausage roll. Nothing I couldn't have bought outside the ground at half the price. We spoke about our away days at Kidderminster and the wonderful food on offer, groan.

Confirm the referee was woeful for both sides and I will need to plant a couple of trees to offset my carbon footprint.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Cheltenham are utterly obsessed with FGR - they have more posts on MC swearing during his BBC interview than they posted on their own match report. :shock:
However it is interesting to note that they used exactly same comments after losing to FGR as have FGR after losing to Plymouth.
Chelt said FGR were were a bunch of divers as we did say about Plymouth.
Chelt said FGR celebrated the win as if we had won FA Cup and we said similar about Plymouth supporters. :roll:

Mmmmmm!
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:50 am

Bizarre change of direction to the thread there OTC. Not sure why you spend so much time on the Cheltenham Town forum. You come across as a bit obsessed yourself.

I don’t think anyone has really said that Plymouth were a load of divers. Just that the referee was a bit too swayed by the fans. Players go down unnecessarily all the time, from both sides. You just hope that a referee can make up his/her own mind without needing advice from the crowd. Who cares what Cheltenham Town fans think about FGR players diving or not?
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:40 am

TreeHugger wrote:Bizarre change of direction to the thread there OTC. Not sure why you spend so much time on the Cheltenham Town forum. You come across as a bit obsessed yourself.

I don’t think anyone has really said that Plymouth were a load of divers. Just that the referee was a bit too swayed by the fans. Players go down unnecessarily all the time, from both sides. You just hope that a referee can make up his/her own mind without needing advice from the crowd. Who cares what Cheltenham Town fans think about FGR players diving or not?

True I'm interested in what others say including Cheltenham, obsessed perhaps yes but no less that yourself who is always checking out all my posts with an extremely fine tooth comb.
Anyway it is not only Cheltenham's forum I read and the Plymouth forum reinforces much of what has been written on Chelts forum.

"Celebrations at the final whistle showed how important this win could be to the season as a whole, as Argyle knocked league two’s top placed team off their perch."
" What a very strange bunch they are. [FGR fans]
Seemed to boo every time one of their players try to cut one of ours down and even booed when McFazdean and Riley went down with obviously irksome knee injuries.
It just seemed to me that this lot know more about rugby than they do about football."

I can understand the first comment. Winning away at league leaders is always great.
Disagree with 2nd comment. We all noted their trainer called onto pitch and by the time he arrived to tend player, he was up, fit and running. The trainer ran straight off pitch. That set the tone for the rest of match. Generally I think FGR supporters are respectful towards opponents who get genuinely injured.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:15 am

they may not have been the worst injuries in the world, but to be fair-i thought they did look genuine (particularly the first one ) and could have been more serious- ' always look after your knees 'mum used to tell me.

It may be coincidence-but didn't McFad get substituted at half time ,and then riley also got subbed later on.

again-perhaps coincidence, but even if precautionary -i am not certain either were feigning injury .

any contrary opinion is of course not related to fgr losing the game?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:45 am

Why didnt Joe Mills appear after half-time?
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Norton Boy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:10 am

Pulled up at the end of his cross just before half time with a pull on his hamstring
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:28 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:06 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:Bizarre change of direction to the thread there OTC. Not sure why you spend so much time on the Cheltenham Town forum. You come across as a bit obsessed yourself.

True I'm interested in what others say including Cheltenham, obsessed perhaps yes but no less that yourself who is always checking out all my posts with an extremely fine tooth comb.
Anyway it is not only Cheltenham's forum I read and the Plymouth forum reinforces much of what has been written on Chelts forum.

My point being that you denigrate Cheltenham fans for being ‘obsessive’, and yet you display the very same trait in your regular snooping of their forum for whatever reason that might be. Reading the Plymouth forum after the game is understandable- they were the opposition. But why Cheltenham? Who cares what their fans think about a match that they probably didn’t watch? It’s a weird thing to do.

I’m sorry if you think I’m obsessed with your posts. That’s not my intention. You just come out with the most bizarre stuff that I can’t help myself. It’s like I’m rubbernecking at someone who has become a parody of themselves. I promise to seek some help if you do too.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby montyc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Having read some of the comments on this forum about Saturdays game I'm beginning to wonder if I went to the right ground, how the hell do make the referee out to be OK, he was bloody awful, must be honest so was some of the antics the opposition players got up to, not the best from a very good side, must have read the Cowley Brothers book on how to disrupt a game sadly aided by a lousy ref. :lol:
GREEN ARMY, GREEN ARMY
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:26 pm

twinkletoes wrote:Why didnt Joe Mills appear after half-time?

Hamstring injury.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:44 pm

i guess upon consideration -its not too bad of a loss as reflected by this thread-just 4 pages for a loss (walsall loss got more airtime than that ).
On average you get 4 pages of posts for a win and 8 for a loss /complete meltdown so most are being relatively sanguine excepting that of course having lost most know that its the referees fault as usual.

Definitely not far off it and reckon micheal's just got a bee in his bonnet about the Checkafraud loss to Walsall, don't think we looked affected by that at all..

no secrets there-seriously hacked off why ?
-putting aside that i am a complete cup whore (great stuff last night from the academy ),seems a complete waste to me :
-first two games put club in a position to progress and apparently those games 'mattered' but having done that-it no longer mattered as plymouth game was so important -seemed irrational to me .
-why would 'resting' so many almost guarantee it would be a better result v plymouth (and in fact, mills, shepherd and winchester probably all had their worst games of the season )
(by the same token-i accept that playing a much stronger side v walsall does not in itself mean fgr would have won anyway-we will never know.
main point is though it discarded the opportunity to win 10K or 5K and then significantly more-possibly 100k plus if FGR progressed into the 'closing rounds' of leasing trophy .

realistically-the best chance of winning something this season was the leasing trophy-it is unlikely fgr will get beyond 4th round at very outside of fa cup and perhaps evens they will make play offs which in itself is useless unless you win the playoffs-so its tough.
the easiest chance is the leasing trophy (plus for a bit of sex appeal-a chance to visit one or two premiership grounds when you progress .

i am not the type to say -'told you so ' after the plymouth defeat-you lose games of football all the time, but i have a fear of a downward spiral now , and in 11 days time, if fgr lose to Carlisle (50/50 chance imo) then going out of the leasing trophy with such a wimper-not even a half hearted attempt will be regretted .
Some will say-chance to 'give 'legs 'in the fringe players/blood the younger players -well there is the central league for that-and i am sure Mr cooper could easily arrange a couple of midweek friendlies to do exactly that .

For now, i'll convince myself that playing the younger players v walsall gave them the experience to carry that over into last night (even though it was meant to be played a week ago
-Apparently the first team players needed a rest (worked well !!) but less strong younger players would have been fit enough to play last wednesday -mmmm -work that one out .

Yes - we all have things which get us going a bit and need a rant outlet-but your observation that i have a bee in my bonnet over the walsall loss, is probably one of the years great understatements !!
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:12 pm

:mrgreen: But surely by the same token the kids spanking Dulwich last night will have the club buzzing and we will go on a goal-fest rampage well into the New Year?
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:50 pm

agree with the first half of the sentence-and hopefully beyond 11 december for the academy ,and beyond 29 november for the first team .

i simply would rather have the leasing.com trophy to 'fall back upon ',and have a realistic chance of winning-fame and money ; than the gloucester senior cup as next best option and keep us all 'engaged ' when it all gets a bit gloomy in december january and february
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Who was the 1980s Arsenal goalkeeper at the game?
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby twoguns » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:20 pm

As a Surs fan I can tell you it can only be the legend Pat Jennings or more likely John Lukic.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:25 am

michael wrote:they may not have been the worst injuries in the world, but to be fair-i thought they did look genuine (particularly the first one ) and could have been more serious- ' always look after your knees 'mum used to tell me.

It may be coincidence-but didn't McFad get substituted at half time ,and then riley also got subbed later on.

again-perhaps coincidence, but even if precautionary -i am not certain either were feigning injury .

any contrary opinion is of course not related to fgr losing the game?

To be honest it got to the point where I was feeling their trainer had come onto the pitch more than all matches put together this season 8-)
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 am

Tom FGR wrote:Ref was incredibly poor for both sides. He was really out of his depth, genuinely felt sorry for him, he lost control of the game and his own emotions when he starting dishing out yellows for pushes.

A bigger issue for me is we really struggle against those with bigger away followings. The away end is poor imo, it makes it feel as though the away fans are everywhere. Stick them behind the goal and I don't think Plymouth would have got half of those decisions.

I know referees don't like to get their cards out early - the Williams injury for example - but right from the off there was a high challenge that got ignored. Didn't think that boded well.

Kitch, I thought, gave a cheap and unnecessary foul and needs to learn that there are quite a few refs around like Saturdays. What I don't get is how much players get away with an obvious push. Or is it allowed now?
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team