Dale Vince on decade at FGR, stadium latest and more

All about our First Team

Dale Vince on decade at FGR, stadium latest and more

Postby SNJ Ash » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 pm

IN a compelling interview, Forest Green chairman Dale Vince talks to BBC Radio Gloucestershire’s Billy Hunt.

Vince looks back on a decade of ownership, bringing his sustainability ethos to the New Lawn, his determination to build the new stadium, why he believes we are living in a ‘banana republic' and the potential of extending Mark Cooper’s contract.
Watch the video below.
https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... w-stadium/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Dale Vince on decade at FGR, stadium latest and more

Postby kennysarmy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 pm

Can't seem to get to the article/video ☹️
kennysarmy
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Great. So the the decision makers we need to bring on board and get support from have been publicly accused of acting like a banana republic. Way to divide and alienate further!!
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:16 pm

I happen to come across Dale's Facebook page and checked out his videos.
He has done quite a number of interviews to prominent national broadcasters.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/dalevince/v ... e_internal
The latest one was 29 Jan on Talk Radio.
He had a full 30 minutes, rather than a quick question & answer session.
The most important bit of info to come up was that he said Ecotricity has never had any subs from the EU.
I know many of DVs opponents claim the reason for his strong support of the EU was that leaving could financially damage both Ecotricity & FGR.
DV said it would not affect Ecotricity.
That's good news.
On a lighter note he was teasing the presenter by claiming he travelled to London on an electric motorbike but later in interview said he was checking something in the back of his car on route. :D
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:58 pm

The one in the title is 3 weeks old now. As OTC says there are few from the last week - Talksport, Talkradio & Points West.

The interviewers rarely get the better of Dale & it's often amusing to see them lost for words after his response.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:36 pm

No matter what he says I hope he realises that supporting one or the other side in a general election is NOT the sort of thing a football club should be doing. PS I always voted for David Drew.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Agreed. Politics is personal.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 pm

The Cumbrian wrote:No matter what he says I hope he realises that supporting one or the other side in a general election is NOT the sort of thing a football club should be doing. PS I always voted for David Drew.

Please could you clarify that PS T/C. It reads as though from Brampton, you voted for David Drew? :?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby richmond » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Timb, how is football not political? My other club Newcastle are just about to be bought by one of the most repressive regimes in the world (much to the dismay of many of there fans).

At the least DV is using his political beliefs, through the medium of FGR, to further progressive policies which may just keep the planet alive.
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:03 pm

richmond wrote:Timb, how is football not political? My other club Newcastle are just about to be bought by one of the most repressive regimes in the world (much to the dismay of many of there fans).

At the least DV is using his political beliefs, through the medium of FGR, to further progressive policies which may just keep the planet alive.

No less oppressive than the hosts of the next World Cup, Qatar. And of course we are hoping to use the same architect firm as that involved the World Cup stadia.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:13 am

richmond wrote:Timb, how is football not political? My other club Newcastle are just about to be bought by one of the most repressive regimes in the world (much to the dismay of many of there fans).

Yes!
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:10 am

The environmental and ecological agendas transcend party politics. You dont have to be left or right of centre to either see what's in front of you or blindly ignore it and keep driving your car down the same old road.

Theres enough biased fodder emanating from what people think are independent national newspapers but are just mouthpieces for one person or groups view, or another.

Keep personal politics out of football and out of FGR is my view.

There's enough historical baggage between football clubs on religious grounds let alone bring party politics into it.

Imagine if you had to be left wing to support arsenal and right wing to support tottenham. Keep personal politics out of football.

What FGR are doing in terms of bringing an alternative way of thinking and doing, is world leading. So Yes! But it transcends party politics.

But no to personal party politics at clubs in the same vein that it exists in newspapers.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby richmond » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:20 pm

I think we are in the midst of a very political dynamic at FGR, and can't ignore it.

Our new MP is considering calling in the planning application. As far as i understand this effectively neuters the devolved powers of our local elected representatives who decide on our behalf what is best for our town and region (whether we agree with them or not).

This I believe is a flagrant political power play, probably/possibly aimed at DV, but which effects us all as followers of our wonderful and original club.

I have written twice to our MP, and received banal responses, essentially ignoring my concerns.

So FGR and politics are joined at the hip.
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 pm

richmond wrote:I think we are in the midst of a very political dynamic at FGR, and can't ignore it.

Our new MP is considering calling in the planning application. As far as i understand this effectively neuters the devolved powers of our local elected representatives who decide on our behalf what is best for our town and region (whether we agree with them or not).

This I believe is a flagrant political power play, probably/possibly aimed at DV, but which effects us all as followers of our wonderful and original club.

I have written twice to our MP, and received banal responses, essentially ignoring my concerns.

The problem is the locally elected officials could not make a clear decision. One narrow rejection and one narrow refusal. Calling in is needed to make the decision.
Last edited by Eco-Exile on Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:08 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
richmond wrote:I think we are in the midst of a very political dynamic at FGR, and can't ignore it.

The problem is the locally elected officials could not make a clear decision. One narrow rejection and one narrow refusal. Calling in is needed to male the decision.

I thought the majority was 7-4 - not that close if so.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:38 pm

Tommo wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

The problem is the locally elected officials could not make a clear decision. One narrow rejection and one narrow refusal. Calling in is needed to male the decision.

I thought the majority was 7-4 - not that close if so.

It is close enough to be inconclusive if a jury in a court of law.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:37 pm

The stadium decision is not a political one whatever the local mp or DV would like the narrative to be. If all the planning tests have been passed when submitting and determining the application then nothing to worry about.

If they haven't then theres a risk of the determination not surviving the call in. That's not political, that's process.

And what if boris suddenly sees the light and backs wind power to the hilt, then what? Invite him to a rally at TNL and call for a tory vote ?

It's not beyond the pale to see a situation where he sees the light and turns to renewables to power the uk.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cornishman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:12 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:Great. So the the decision makers we need to bring on board and get support from have been publicly accused of acting like a banana republic. Way to divide and alienate further!!

Well said, Dale. Nothing wrong with telling the truth.
cornishman
Youth
Youth

Postby Mothy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:39 am

If Dale Vince, OBE truly believes that it's like living in a Banana Republic perhaps he should consider returning the gong our Great Nation bestowed on him ;)
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks

"Keep Forest Green in Forest Green"
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Tommo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 am

I see that the latest accounts showed we have returned to losses of about £750k/year. That is mainly because we didn't sell many players last year and none as profitably as Ethan Pinnock. Had the Doidge sale to Bolton happened properly, then I guess we would have broken even. I'm not sure if the Reece Brown money - paltry as it was given his talent - is in this year or last. It shows how hard it is to make money at this level unless you are in a big city with a traditionally large crowd.

It also highlights the importance of spotting and nurturing young players through to a point where they can be sold on for a significant fee. MC has been pretty good at that but we need the likes of McGinley, Adams, Stevens, Collins to fulfil their promise so that they get a step up in their career and we can get some bunce for the coffers.

Hopefully DV was braced for the loss and continues to see it as payment for the publicity his values and politics get on the back of FGR. I know some see the mix of football and his principles as a problem but without him seeing the balance between his investment and the furthering of his values, we'd be in the Hellenic League. Some would say no bad thing to that but I'm still enjoying the journey upwards.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team