Support the players

All about our First Team

Re: Support the players

Postby FGR-Ledge » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Haha!! :D

One thing is for certain I know both you and I just want FGR to Florish and thrive.

Up the Green
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:33 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Haha!! :D

One thing is for certain I know both you and I just want FGR to Florish and thrive.

Up the Green

Very true, agree 100%.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:37 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:Haha!! :D

Up the Green

Very true, agree 100%.

That's what we all want, which is why so much passion is expressed on here. I hope MC cab turn things around,. The last few matches have been painful. If he doesn't then surely he will be released.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Good post SS.
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:Just my opinion.

Hardly insulting and I would say quite an Accurate description.

"Cap-doffers, lickers and submissives to authority" sound like insults to me. Name calling in lieu of sensible discussion is not mature or useful..

As someone on the receiving end of the insults and name calling; it doesn’t generally bother me. But it would be nice if those insults displayed a little more creativity and bite. Most of it is kindergarten level at best and leads me to think that the perpetrator is perhaps one of the younger South Stand dissenters?

I don’t really get why some are so vigorously against anyone who doesn’t despise Mark Cooper. The forum represents a tiny proportion of the club’s fans; most of whom probably have no issue with him whatsoever. We’re a League 2 side and have a good League 2 coach IMO. It’s not as if there are a queue of guaranteed promotion-winning replacements lined up.

The courtesy of supporting the players who play for the club should be extended to all the staff too. I believe that’s part of what constitutes being a ‘supporter’ (aka Licker).

Haha, I have run rings around you time and time again and obviously it gets to you

I am not a 'South Stand Dissenter', I think you know this really though.

Dismiss my view on Cooper as much as you want and say we are a tiny minority, but you are on for a shock. There are an absolute load of long standing Season Ticket holders who absolutely do have an issue with Cooper.

I take no pleasure informing you of this and am very worried what sort of crowds we will see next season if Cooper is kept on.

Sychophants such as yourself are dangerous in my Opinion, they accept mediocrity and will always tow the party line. This can end with very bad results if they are in roles with any responsibility, which I hope you are not.

Do me a favour FL. You don’t strike me as someone with the ability to run rings around a two pence piece. You just revert to name calling, which is hardly the cornerstone of intelligent debate. You have your views, and that’s fine, but you don’t tolerate anyone else’s, which is not. You’ve clearly recently learned the word ‘sycophant’ and for that I congratulate you, but maybe go back to ‘dangerous’ and and have a rethink about that one.

Do you have an issue with authority? Has someone hurt you? I’m happy to help if you’re struggling.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Are you okay?
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Not every player can play. Not every player can stay at a club forever.

Our best, most consistent players never seem to get dropped or fall out of favour etc. And they aren’t all youngsters. If the likes of McCoulsky and Mondal had performed as consistently well as the likes of Rawson, Kitching, Shephard, Mills, Winchester and Adams then they would be playing. All 5 have been given plenty of time to prove themselves. Unfortunately they haven’t, so are now going to be moved on. Otherwise there would never be room for new signings, which most fans tend to demand/expect.

A managers job is to put together the best possible squad, sometimes that means being ruthless. It is impossible to keep 25 players happy.

If you watch Michael Duff’s interviews with Gloucestershire Live he talks about how it is important that the squad is kept happy and he also talks clearly about how players who haven’t featured are part of his plans or how he is always ready to give someone a chance if they show a reason why in training. Or look how Klopp keeps his large Liverpool squad happy and every player has the mindset and dedication of a first eleven player.

Yes only 18 can feature in the match day squad but all 25 might be needed due to injury, fitness, suspension or other and therefore every player needs to be training together and encouraged together. Sending players to train with children is denying them the chance to be part of the squad or showing what they have to offer.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:40 pm

It's common [good] practice to separate out players who don't figure with the first team, this can be because they're not good enough or because they've become a disruptive influence, most football fans elsewhere would see this as a positive action by the coach/manager.

Given the new setup I would expect this has been done in conjunction with the DoF; Cooper is merely the Coach now.
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:47 pm

MC has done this in previous seasons and it’s certainly not unusual elsewhere. The main purpose is to make sure focus is on players who are going to be in the first team in the run in with no distractions.

Also it gives the players left out time to think about their options for next season. Of those separated out, the only one I have much sympathy for is Mondal. But he really hasn’t developed this season and needs to take a step down to build up any chance of moving up again. Football is a tough sport but he’s young enough to do that.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Both Cooper and the DoF need to be let go to be honest.

How bad before Dale Vince finally makes a decision. The club is on a one stop journey to oblivion at present.
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:25 pm

i started thread as "support the players" its turned into the Mark Cooper show!
I personally want change with manager, who, whichever way you look at it, is failing in all parts of his job, signing of players, coaching the life out of players and falling out with player, but a big call out must go to the terrible failings of the director of football, what has he brought to the table?
For these two reasons/characters, its getting very hard to support the poor fall guys (players), the main worry for me, is that if our reputation as a difficult place to play, with support bound to drop off, who, in their right mind would want to play for us in the future?
Rueben Ried, 3 in 3!
doggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:35 pm

I always thought that if you supported a club, you supported them through thick and thin, taking the good with the bad, but still supporting them. I cannot understand people who desert a club in poor times, returning when times are better,then leaving again when results do not go their way. I will endeavour to be polite as to what i think of these individuals..........but you can guess !.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 am

GETCARTER wrote:I always thought that if you supported a club, you supported them through thick and thin, taking the good with the bad, but still supporting them. I cannot understand people who desert a club in poor times, returning when times are better,then leaving again when results do not go their way. I will endeavour to be polite as to what i think of these individuals..........but you can guess !.

Some unfairness here. For a die hard supporter, deciding to not go to matches is one of the decisions most difficult to make. When a club desperately needs off the pitch change to stop damage and decline, it is often the most long standing fans who make the hard choice to stay away from the club they love to try and enforce change needed for the good of the club.

So yes, support the players but a time comes when if continuing to attend and support sees Cooper stay in post or get a new contract then that support causes more long-term harm than good. True fans do what is needed for the good of their club. Most of the time that is support but in a minority of circumstances it can mean boycotts and protests.

And it is not about ‘good times and bad’; as others have said, bad or good form are not the issue. If the manager was not so conceited and arrogant and was instead someone showing they had buy in from players and a plan to improve then fans would still support. Same as some clubs are doing well but have ongoing protests or boycotts against owners.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:16 pm

E-E, I find your reasoning very wrong. I support my club because of the club, not whoever is the manager at the time, deciding whether to attend because of his record. If that was the case, fickle fans would be deciding to either attend or stay away according to results, but really true and loyal supporters stick through thick and thin.Depends which side of the fence you want to sit on - and i know which i am most happy with.Come on you Rovers - you can count on me - stand up and be counted, and i will be there this coming Saturday, win or lose !!.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:38 pm

GETCARTER wrote:E-E, I find your reasoning very wrong. I support my club because of the club, not whoever is the manager at the time, deciding whether to attend because of his record. If that was the case, fickle fans would be deciding to either attend or stay away according to results, but really true and loyal supporters stick through thick and thin.Depends which side of the fence you want to sit on - and i know which i am most happy with.Come on you Rovers - you can count on me - stand up and be counted, and i will be there this coming Saturday, win or lose !!.

Note I said that it is not about results or record or thick and thin and that a club management and owner at a team with poor form could well have more support than those at a team in good form if more existential and off the pitch factors were not correct.

Loyal supporters want what is best for the club in the long term. Ask yourself whether you would like to see FGR in League One or the non-League in ten years time, and then ask yourself whether showing support to Mark Cooper, the Football Director and current relationship with fans is aligned with your first answer. Icarus’s most loyal friends would have told him not to fly so high, whereas others would have cheered him on.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm with Getcarter on this. I support the club, the team, the players, and the manager. If results don't pick up then a new manager is inevitable, but until such time I will be there win or lose. FGR have been in worse situations than the one we are currently in.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 am

Silver Surfer wrote:I'm with Getcarter on this. I support the club, the team, the players, and the manager. If results don't pick up then a new manager is inevitable, but until such time I will be there win or lose. FGR have been in worse situations than the one we are currently in.

Me too. DV has sacked managers before and will again. Regardless, the supporters will generally sustain their association with the club longer than either and I will be there through thick and thin. There's a joke in there somewhere about how I'm thin and thick for showing such loyalty but I'm not that thin.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Funfly » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:20 pm

It’s a game, someone wins and someone looses.
You get a good day out, an exiting match, you go home happy or sad - exactly the opposite to the other team fans.
Would you rather be at home watching FlogIt?
Funfly
Youth
Youth

Postby paulK » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Tommo wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:I'm with Getcarter on this. I support the club, the team, the players, and the manager. If results don't pick up then a new manager is inevitable, but until such time I will be there win or lose. FGR have been in worse situations than the one we are currently in.

Me too. DV has sacked managers before and will again. Regardless, the supporters will generally sustain their association with the club longer than either and I will be there through thick and thin. There's a joke in there somewhere about how I'm thin and thick for showing such loyalty but I'm not that thin.

I disagree with the opinion that it's a hard choice for a die-hard supporter to make a choice to stay away. A die-hard supporter will attend regardless. They don't need to make a choice. It's the very definition of die-hard IMO.

To think that turning up to support is a sign of supporting the manager and/or owners is a bit mistaken IMO. It's about supporting the players. They are the ones that benefit most and we want to see do well for the club. Withdrawing that support is counter-productive.

Die-hard supporters will find ways of demonstrating in other ways if they are unhappy with the regime. Port Vale boycotting the purchase of food inside the ground for example and asking visiting supporters to do likewise. Demonstrating outside the ground and then going in to support the team is another example.

My opinions are in more line with the above posts.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:02 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
Do me a favour FL. You don’t strike me as someone with the ability to run rings around a two pence piece.

OMG :o :o :o :o :o
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team