Rovers record operating loss of £785k in 2019

All about our First Team

Re: Rovers record operating loss of £785k in 2019

Postby Lady Magpie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:05 am

dove wrote:Where would vegans stand on food for their pets?

Number 5 on the list is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_dogs

What on earth has this got to do with the First Team.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dove » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:34 am

Lady Magpie wrote:

LM

I was just responding to Pitchforks question after his excellent post.
dove
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 am

Lady Magpie wrote:

LM

It is conversation. A poster may say one thing and someone has a related point or question about it and then someone may have another related point or answer.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 am

Lady Magpie wrote:What on earth has this got to do with the First Team.

LM

The discussion on veganism has as much to do with the 'First Team' as the original post about the £ operating loss. Both are relevant as far as match day lifestyle of the players & their cost to the club. When our players talk to those at other clubs they are often asked what is it like to play for a vegan club?

The fact the thread has developed into whether vegans should feed their pets meat is my fault, as it is a genuine question to those who know more about this lifestyle choice than I do.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:46 am

Lady Magpie wrote:

LM

It is quite likely that some of the first team have dogs. I wonder if they feed them Vegan diets.

As far as the owners are concerned, I think it was claimed somewhere that those on a vegan diet were less susceptible to injury. We've got a bit of a list at the moment, but some are newcomers.

Some injuries have been inflicted by others, George is a good example, but given the size of the list at the moment, I'm wondering how much that claim holds up.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 am

I'm sure that this has been said a number of times, but it is incorrect when people state that our players have to be vegans. They can (and do (Jon Parkin)) eat whatever they like outside the ground, but like us, when they are at TNL, they have vegan food.

They can feed their pets whatever they like, especially as dogs are not allowed at TNL.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:29 pm

voodoobluesman wrote: They can (and do (Jon Parkin)) eat whatever they like outside the ground, but like us, when they are at TNL, they have vegan food.

You are correct in stating the players are restricted to vegan food while at the ground...and on away trips they also eat vegan. Considerable care is taken to locate stops/accommodation that serve vegan meals

Away from their work our players are considered in what they eat as they are well aware of the connection between a healthy diet and fitness/good health. It wouldn't be true to say "they eat whatever they like". I can certainly vouch for their good appetites and love of food. :D

Jon Parkin was a great professional/ endearing personality in many ways but he would not be a 'model' in terms of the kind of food he consumed. Times have changed and Parky is definitely 'old school'.

FROM WIKI

"Parkin has been referred to as "The Beast" and fans have chanted "Feed the Beast and he will score". He is renowned for his large stature (quadruple XL size shirt) and an unusual unathletic lifestyle which includes never going to the gym and not having a diet, eating large portions instead (for example: for lunch; tuna crunch sandwich, a bag of crisps, a pepperoni pizza, a steak bake and either a bacon and cheese turnover or a sausage bean and cheese melt; having a full English breakfast before training).

Parkin is also known for his pranks and misadventures. On transfer deadline day while playing for Preston, he covertly changed his own name in teammate Chris Sedgwick's mobile phone contact list to the name of Sedgwick's agent, before repeatedly calling from his own phone (now listed as Sedgwick's agent in the phone). Sedgwick became excited that a big transfer move was imminent, before calling his "agent" back and hearing Parkin's mobile phone ringing on the other side of the room. In another caper, while on pre-season training for Stoke City, Parkin drove a golf buggy as fast as possible down a hill before losing control. Parkin bailed before impact but teammate Steve Simonsen remained in the buggy as it crashed heavily, rolling over twice. Parkin had to pay £1,200 for damage to the buggy."
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi
Pitchfork wrote:I know vegans who will not wear wool or buy leather.

Where would vegans stand on food for their pets?

Apart from a very few breeds which naturally shed their wool, failing to sheer sheep is animal cruelty, they are likely to die if left unshorn. and a fleece fetches less than the cost of sheering so it is not a monetary benefit to the farmer.
Vegans who would not use leather are even willing to let go to waste a product which could just be there as a result of a natural death.
And they probably tell themselves that cats and dogs are herbivores and not carnivores.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:32 pm

I have always wondered how vegan the pest control company are who have an advertising board by our pitch. Do they catch pests and relocate them, rather than exterminate?
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby cookiemonster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 am

It's not hard to understand is it. Vegans object to the commodification of animals so many also object to wearing wool and leather, since these are commodities we extract from animals.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby dove » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:51 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
Pitchfork wrote:I know vegans who will not wear wool or buy leather.

Where would vegans stand on food for their pets?

Apart from a very few breeds which naturally shed their wool, failing to sheer sheep is animal cruelty, they are likely to die if left unshorn. and a fleece fetches less than the cost of sheering so it is not a monetary benefit to the farmer.
Vegans who would not use leather are even willing to let go to waste a product which could just be there as a result of a natural death.
And they probably tell themselves that cats and dogs are herbivores and not carnivores.

I think you need to stop believing everything you read in the Daily Mail.
dove
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:14 am

Foggy wrote:I have always wondered how vegan the pest control company are who have an advertising board by our pitch. Do they catch pests and relocate them, rather than exterminate?

And Fat Tonis? I’m sure I’ve seen them advertising?
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:26 am

Too occasional fan wrote:
Foggy wrote:I have always wondered how vegan the pest control company are who have an advertising board by our pitch. Do they catch pests and relocate them, rather than exterminate?

Fat Toni's have quite a few veggie/vegan options and have a vegan chef. So it appears that they certainly do their bit to provide/promote a lot of vegan/vegetarian options to their customers.

Given that as far as I know a big part of veganism is spreading the word to the masses, companies that provide visibility and availability of vegan alternatives to the mainstream and not just the converted are very important. The majority of people won't go to a vegan restaurant, but will sometimes try vegan options off a menu if advertised, and in some cases will find out they can be just as good if not better tasting, as well as being healthy/ethical.

So companies/restaurants doing their bit to bring veganism into the mainstream should very much be encouraged by those looking to grow the movement imo, as that is by far the most likely way to convert more people.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:45 am

Kentstripe wrote:

Fat Toni's have quite a few veggie/vegan options and have a vegan chef. So it appears that they certainly do their bit to provide/promote a lot of vegan/vegetarian options to their customers.

Given that as far as I know a big part of veganism is spreading the word to the masses, companies that provide visibility and availability of vegan alternatives to the mainstream and not just the converted are very important. The majority of people won't go to a vegan restaurant, but will sometimes try vegan options off a menu if advertised, and in some cases will find out they can be just as good if not better tasting, as well as being healthy/ethical.

So companies/restaurants doing their bit to bring veganism into the mainstream should very much be encouraged by those looking to grow the movement imo, as that is by far the most likely way to convert more people.

I wonder if Fat Toni’s would like to have a food truck or two at the ground selling vegan pizza by the large slice. It would add to the catering selection without the club needing to provide any investment or infrastructure.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:46 am

Just to touch on a couple of things brought up...

Wool - If you buy wool, you support the meat industry. Why would a vegan do that? Sheep only need shearing because they are deliberately bred to produce too much wool. Animal sanctuaries that have rescue sheep donate their wool to projects that help clean up oil and chemical spills, etc. It isn't 'wasted'.

Dogs - Are omnivores, they can happily live, and thrive, on a vegan diet. Many that do live longer, and have less joint problems. If you want to go down that road with your dog/s get proper advice though, you do need to get the fat and protein mix right... Cats on the other hand are carnivores, and can't go vegan.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 am

Eco-Exile wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:

I wonder if Fat Toni’s would like to have a food truck or two at the ground selling vegan pizza by the large slice. It would add to the catering selection without the club needing to provide any investment or infrastructure.

That's a good idea. Would prove pretty popular imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am

Interesting points on Fat Toni’s - thanks forum!!
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 am

Kentstripe wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

Sadly I don't think so.
We had a business who trialled selling vegan food at TNL on match days and they lasted one game.
The problem is where to locate any stall. There is next to nowhere suitable.
Girish successfully ran his Indian Vegan stall for a number of years from where the merchandise portacabin is now located.
He was then forced to use boot of his car and obviously sales plummeted.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:39 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

Sadly I don't think so.
We had a business who trialled selling vegan food at TNL on match days and they lasted one game.
The problem is where to locate any stall. There is next to nowhere suitable.
Girish successfully ran his Indian Vegan stall for a number of years from where the merchandise portacabin is now located.
He was then forced to use boot of his car and obviously sales plummeted.

Would the club not permit a Fat Tonis food truck or tricycle into the concourse behind or at the end of the away terrace for example?
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:03 pm

It's a great pity that Girish can no longer sell his fine produce at TNL - not just at the stall outside, but going around the stands at half-time too. Both high-quality vegan food, and a local supplier known and respected in the Stroud valleys community : surely not just one, but two, of the things that FGR aspires to be about.

Indeed, if there were one thing I would suggest to improve the food offer at TNL, finding a way to encourage his return would be very near the top of the list....
DominicH
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team