Match thread from Boundary Park (Oldham Athletic)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Boundary Park (Oldham Athletic)

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:44 pm

That was a much better performance and a good team selection for what we had available. Glad to see Thomas back in goal and gave a much more confident performance for this match, I wouldn't blame him to much for the Oldham goal with the weather conditions. Welcome back to George Williams, that goal should give him confidence.

Attendance: 2720 (107 from FGR)

Well done to all those who travelled in those conditions, credit to you all.

Man-of-the-Match: Carl Winchester

My imaginary cat has a smile on it's face for a great improvement in the team today.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Well done team, well done GW, Well done to the 107. Light at the end of the tunnel ?.........
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:16 pm

To be fair, playing away is the not really the problem.

Fair play to our amazing Away support and Georgy!!
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Sounded like a better all round performance and the players have certainly not lost their confidence.

I could just picture the stick Conrad Logan would be getting right now if it had been him in goal today...
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby redrobin » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:01 pm

sounds like you should have won today.
Whats happening there, abysmal form since the New Year
.. still you have a cup final to look forward to next month :D
can't beat a good rib - eye !
redrobin
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Timb wrote:Sounded like a better all round performance and the players have certainly not lost their confidence.

I could just picture the stick Conrad Logan would be getting right now if it had been him in goal today...

Thought Thomas a lot sharper today. Quicker to distribute the ball. Mostly out from the back and only a handful of going long. Don't recall any at all going straight into touch. Maybe learnt a bit from Logan re the distribution?
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Could be seriously embarrassing for you if we beat you at our ground. :?

We are truly awful at home, but hoping we can somehow up our game for the big one.
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Has George Williams goal saved Cooper's job?
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bill Shankly » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Afraid so unless 6 home defeats on the spin does for him,,which it should.
That by the way is now 2 wins in 19.virtually half a season.
Bill Shankly
Reserves
Reserves

Postby DominicH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Delighted for Williams. Sweet revenge over the team whose extremely dirty play at the start of the season put him out of action for so long. Glad that the culprit on that occasion got plenty of jeers from our end today too.

Otherwise, so much of the same old story. We played with flair and enthusiasm and some sense of attack (intermittently) for the last ten minutes (but given that six of those were injury time, it could easily have been less...)

Nice passing game, yes, plenty of possession, yes, but too much of the sideways passing we were doing at the start of the season. Sure, our shots in the general direction of the goal have increased recently, but actually getting them to the right place or at the right place remains a challenge.

Some good individual performances, as ever. Some bad luck, also. But really I thought a lot of the game barely qualified as entertainment. Quite atrocious conditions to be playing in, though, so there is a partial justification for this.

And very good to see Thomas back where he belongs.
DominicH
Reserves
Reserves

Postby garyjj » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:07 am

Both sides could of won so a draw was fair, dont understand why so many are so happy with a draw at struggling Oldham with a very average squad. If Logan was in goal today and let that goal in a few would be moaning, still thomas made two very good saves to keep us in it. Stats might say we were dominant but you wouldn't think that by watching the game. I think cooper relies on stats far too much, stats dont win you games... I think ebu needs a rest he loses possession far too much as his passing isnt spot on atm. Glad to see George back and loved his celebration right in front of the idiot who broke his leg. Still 2 wins in 19 which is awful form. I suppose a draws better than another loss though :lol:

Also when we played and beat Cheltenham all that time ago we had 36 points... remember how long ago that was? Guess how many points we have no.... 46. That's is truly terrible.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:33 am

Bill Shankly wrote:Afraid so unless 6 home defeats on the spin does for him,,which it should.
That by the way is now 2 wins in 19.virtually half a season.

2 in 19, that is truly awful. I had not seen that it was that bad. Imagine starting the season with 2 from 19. We would be in big trouble. I think we need to assess the next 4-9 games and if we don’t win a few of them then Mark Cooper should br asked to relinquish his role. I hope we are engaging replacements.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 am

twinkletoes wrote:Has George Williams goal saved Cooper's job?

By rescuing a point against 18th? Oldham have been a basketcase off field for a few years now too.

Low yardstick!
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:41 am

garyjj wrote:Also when we played and beat Cheltenham all that time ago we had 36 points... remember how long ago that was? Guess how many points we have no.... 46. That's is truly terrible.

When we beat Cheltenham we had 31 points. In the subsequent 18 league games our record is w3 d6 l9.

So far this season it's been 31 points from the first 16 games up to and inc Cheltenham, which is very good, and then 15 from the next 18, which isn't.

Hopefully in the last 12 games we can push to get back towards our early season form.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 am

Kentstripe wrote:Hopefully in the last 12 games we can push to get back towards our early season form.

Of those 12 games 4 are against teams in bottom half of table: home v L Orient & Morecambe, away v Newport & Scunthorpe
And EIGHT games against teams in top half including three away matches against three of the top four: Swindon, Crewe & Plymouth

Huge big hurdles to overcome in coming few weeks but I take consolation that FGR usually rise to the occasion.
Promotion odds are lengthening but with a fair wind and decent run of good results FGR could still attain a play-off position.
I hope they do and will continue cheering on team.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:50 am

Eco-Exile wrote:It shows how much the season has changed when a draw is now a positive result whereas a few months ago it was a disappointing one.

True but an away point is almost always decent. And if you’d have told me 5 years ago that we were going to take 4 points off Oldham in a season, I’d have raised my eyebrows in astonishment.

Promotion has gone in my view (since the Carlisle game actually). It’s mathematically possible but there are too many good teams above us with points and games in hand.

Give Ebou a rest. Give our permanent players more game time. Coach the hell out of them and renew contracts for the best of them - Faz, Winch, Williams, Mills, Shep, Kitching. Identify a new player up front/forward coach with a bit of experience. Prepare for next season.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:50 pm

OTC love your optimism; and having been associated with this Club since it was a little acorn, I applaud your devotion now you’ve become committed to the cause since Rovers spurted growth.

In reality Clubs go through highs and lows and despite best intentions things don’t come off or expectations are not reached.

I took time out yesterday to visit your previous Club and talking to people in the know Michael Duff has stuck in the main with the same group of players, through thick and thin. Their intensity was great to see with young Alfie May proving a real threat alongside Luke Varney.
May should have had four goals in the first half and with the rain and wind Orient proved dogged opponents. They got a massive slice of luck for their goal but it just raised the Robins to a new level.

Duff brought on Big Reuben (remember him) for the last 15 minutes and he reminded me of the late great John Charles when he planted home a header to secure their win.

Duff persists and shows confidence in his players.
Rovers optimism at the start of the season in our young squad should have been to support them. I will leave those who watch more regularly than me to debate those observations in more detail

Since our win at the Robins the two clubs have distinctly gone in different direction. I still live in hope that we can recover early season form but my prediction of mid table come end of season plus goalkeeping issues will be borne out sadly.

Prove me wrong and I will be humble and gracious but I can’t see it without perseverance, with a settled team week in week out (injuries and suspensions taken into consideration.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:11 pm

It has undeniably been a bad run of form, as armchair managers we all have our thoughts on why this has happened. Generally the FGR forum is far better than most football websites at displaying reasoned argument and constructive opinion. I have a lot of respect for the majority of the active contributors.

There are few keyboard warriors resorting to personal abuse, when this happens others are quick to self police and express the view this is counterproductive. The intervention of the moderators is rarely required.

This thread is pretty balanced and reflects the realisation the players are endeavouring to turn things around, the manager is desperate to find ways of both stopping mistakes and generating goals.

Automatic promotion is surely beyond our reach, the play offs are still a possibility. Relegation is not going to happen. There has been a dose of reality in the last 3 months. Expectations were too high, the youngest squad in the league will make mistakes and no matter who we play up front, goals are hard to come by. As another thread headlines, Let's Support the Players.

We must try and keep posts balanced over the next three months, there will be ups and downs ..... as there have been in every season since we arrived in the Conference.

The constant bombardment of negativity has a detrimental effect on people's health & causes much distress & overwhelm. When this happens in any walk of life, it can have devastating results....far, far more serious than a football team finding winning difficult.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:38 pm

FootieMan wrote:OTC love your optimism; and having been associated with this Club since it was a little acorn, I applaud your devotion now you’ve become committed to the cause since Rovers spurted growth.

In reality Clubs go through highs and lows and despite best intentions things don’t come off or expectations are not reached.

I took time out yesterday to visit your previous Club and talking to people in the know Michael Duff has stuck in the main with the same group of players, through thick and thin. Their intensity was great to see with young Alfie May proving a real threat alongside Luke Varney.
May should have had four goals in the first half and with the rain and wind Orient proved dogged opponents. They got a massive slice of luck for their goal but it just raised the Robins to a new level.

Duff brought on Big Reuben (remember him) for the last 15 minutes and he reminded me of the late great John Charles when he planted home a header to secure their win.

Duff persists and shows confidence in his players.
Rovers optimism at the start of the season in our young squad should have been to support them. I will leave those who watch more regularly than me to debate those observations in more detail

Since our win at the Robins the two clubs have distinctly gone in different direction. I still live in hope that we can recover early season form but my prediction of mid table come end of season plus goalkeeping issues will be borne out sadly.

Prove me wrong and I will be humble and gracious but I can’t see it without perseverance, with a settled team week in week out (injuries and suspensions taken into consideration.

Footie Man, your post has been quoted in full on the Cheltenham forum.
One correction I must point out; my previous club was Arsenal, who I still hold dear but never Cheltenham.

However reading their forum I came across these comments from our old friend KG111:

"The current situation at FGR is down to a combination of Cooper's tactics, departure of Scott Lindsay as assistant manager, poor recruitment by the Director of Football and failure to sign something resembling a true number one goalkeeper."
&
"Sad to say my daughter's now hooked so I guess I'll be back at Whaddon Road again this season. "

Obviously he's been keeping up with FGR and echoing much as has been said on forum.
But seems unlikely he'll be back if his daughter takes charge :)
Anyway I wish them both well.
Last edited by The Old TomCat on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Just want to set the record straight, I have never been on the forum of our closest neighbours, I certainly haven't posted anything on it. I just wish people would check their facts before making scurrilous accusations in a public forum...not funny!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team