where did it all go wrong-it hasn't really

This board is a temporary one for topics and posts to to with the Coronavirus pandemic. Please put all relevant material in here, rather than the other boards.

where did it all go wrong-it hasn't really

Postby michael » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 am

where did it all start to go belly up a few ask .

imo ,it hasn't really-what we've got is what it was always going to be -first half season the team over performed/got a bit of luck -you can't knock that as points count-but it was never ever a top 7 side .

that given (and most disagree with me ) i reckon it 'went wrong' from the walsall EFL cup game.
(compounded by the supposed team strengthening in january which was utter rubbish and weakened the squad )

totally wrong team was picked and momentum lost from that walsall game .

at the time-most people could not care as they were deluded into thinking fgr would get a top 3 place by concentrating on the league.
-that was never going to happen-simply not good enough.

Imo-the club needed cup progress to keep up interest and prevent all this back biting when results inevitably turned as they have now.

wouldn't it be rather splendid to be playing Portsmouth tonight in the semi final of the EFL trophy with a place at wembley up for grabs (fame /publicity and money to fund the team )

i see Exeter now have that privilege-and last time i looked-Exeter did not seem to be doing too badly in the league either.
you can do both .

funny how when you do well/keep momentum up-players get less injury niggles as well.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: where did it all go wrong-it hasn't really

Postby Bristol_Green » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am

I think we need another Scott Lindsay to complement Coops style.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:57 am

When Mark Cooper lost grip of sense.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm

When Scott left
When we failed to replace Cheistian Doidge
When Mark was relegated to coach without adequate support
When our 2 wing backs got injured with no cover
When the Dof made a dogs ear of the window
When Wollacott was sent back
When Mark drains the confidence of the team by criticising the players and or fans every week.

That is when it when wrong

That's when it went wrong.
Bill Shankly
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:11 am

I still agree with your main point Michael. When we started to think we could pick and choose which games we could compete it, we lost momentum.

The Walsall game was a turning point for me.

The wheels really came off in the second half at Orient a couple of weeks later and haven’t properly been put on again yet.

The loss of Lindsay and Mills/Shep haven’t helped. Plus we used all our luck in the first 10-15 games and don’t make enough these days. The moaning from the fans is another factor I fear
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 am

It's not the position that we are in or even the points that we have. It's more about the run of results that we had and the way that this has been dealt with.

The players have tried their hearts out, and blamed themselves. They will I'm sure continue to do their best with what they have, although as each game goes, their heads drop lower and lower. This then means that their performance drops.

The management and coaching staff have blamed the team, or the weather, the pitch, or on some occasions the crowd. There still seems no credible plan or ability to turn this round.

If we'd have started with a bad run and then climbed to 10th place, then there might be something to feel optimistic about, however that's not the case, it's the other way round.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 pm

That’s true VDBM
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Bill Shankly wrote:When Scott left
When Mark drains the confidence of the team by criticising the players and or fans every week.

I believe Wollacott was recalled rather than being sent back.
I don’t think MC has changed his behaviour. He’s always felt able to criticise the players if he thinks they’re not delivering. And providing he doesn’t single out individuals then I’d support his right to do so. I also don’t think he unfairly criticises fans. He says it like it is at times (home fans are quiet etc) but doesn’t criticise any fans other than those that are abusive. Can’t say fairer than that IMO.

I think the turning point was the onset of winter. MC’s favoured playing style is to pass on the ground, play out from the back, and play with pace. This is fine at the start of the season when the pitch is pristine and if you have the right squad. He freely admitted that he wouldn’t be able to employ that style as effectively this season due to changes in personnel and has utilised a more direct approach since the pitch started cutting up. Unfortunately we don’t have the players to play that game. We must be one of the smallest playing squads in the league (stature not number). Doidge was tall so could adapt more readily. Collins is probably our tallest forward but is not a particularly physical specimen and needs a bit of space to thrive. I’d like to see him play more minutes with a partner creating that space.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Lick lick.
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:54 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Lick lick.

Is there no minimum age limit for this forum?
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:21 pm

TreeHugger wrote:

I don’t think MC has changed his behaviour. He’s always felt able to criticise the players if he thinks they’re not delivering. And providing he doesn’t single out individuals then I’d support his right to do so. I also don’t think he unfairly criticises fans. He says it like it is at times (home fans are quiet etc) but doesn’t criticise any fans other than those that are abusive. Can’t say fairer than that IMO.

I think the turning point was the onset of winter. MC’s favoured playing style is to pass on the ground, play out from the back, and play with pace. This is fine at the start of the season when the pitch is pristine and if you have the right squad. He freely admitted that he wouldn’t be able to employ that style as effectively this season due to changes in personnel and has utilised a more direct approach since the pitch started cutting up. Unfortunately we don’t have the players to play that game. We must be one of the smallest playing squads in the league (stature not number). Doidge was tall so could adapt more readily. Collins is probably our tallest forward but is not a particularly physical specimen and needs a bit of space to thrive. I’d like to see him play more minutes with a partner creating that space.

Have you ever seen mc's post match interview?
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Too busy licking something.....
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:59 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Too busy licking something.....

Jeez man. Grow up and stop showing off. It wasn’t clever the first time. If you have to repeat what you think is witty, then it ain’t.

We know you don’t like MC. You’ve moaned about him ever since you’ve been on the forum. But some people do think otherwise and are entitled to say so.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:

Yes.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:04 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:

Yes.

He singles out individuals.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Tommo wrote:I still agree with your main point Michael. When we started to think we could pick and choose which games we could compete it, we lost momentum.

The Walsall game was a turning point for me.

The wheels really came off in the second half at Orient a couple of weeks later and haven’t properly been put on again yet.

The loss of Lindsay and Mills/Shep haven’t helped. Plus we used all our luck in the first 10-15 games and don’t make enough these days. The moaning from the fans is another factor I fear

i am sorry-i know i keep beating the same old drum and i am boring myself but it so irks me -opportunity-and money lost - its history (until the same happens next year ) but i similarly think the walsall debacle-wrong team /emphasis was the turning point.

i anticpaite the mood music on here and within camp would be somewhat different if FGR were in the position of exeter (last night ) or salford /newport tonight -one game from wembley-fame and fortune.

i think Mr Flynn calls it right :

The Exiles, beaten in the League Two play-off final last term, are chasing what would be an unlikely fifth appearance at Wembley in eight years.

The Welsh club are hopeful of a big crowd at Rodney Parade with fading play-off hopes for both clubs adding to the importance of the tie.

"It's a huge game for us," Newport boss Michael Flynn said.

"It would be great to get to Wembley because the players deserve it for all the hard work they do and the fans deserve it."

but don't worry-about next october-there will be plenty on here saying how unimportant this silly cups are -really ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:36 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:

Yes.

He singles out individuals.

Occasionally, as do other managers. Do you ever listen to Chris Wilder for example, Harry Redknapp did it every now and then as well etc. Sometimes certain players need a kick up the aspidistra.

Most of the time it's general points, like not taking chances or switching off defensively which pretty much every manager talk about in interviews. People should watch more of other teams interviews and stop holding Cooper to standards that don't exist.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:45 pm

You make a good point as always KS. I didnt like it when it was working and dont like it now that it isnt. Prefer a different style of management and I think it's more sustainable.

I dont think it is occasionally either, I think it is quite normal for him.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 pm

There would be no fun in that though KS...

Stick behind the lads. Theres a long way to go yet...

Starting with Saturday away at Scunthorpe United.

Get behind the lads.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Timb wrote:There would be no fun in that though KS...

Stick behind the lads. Theres a long way to go yet...

Starting with Saturday away at Scunthorpe United.

Get behind the lads.

I am behind the lads!!!
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to Coronavirus