All about our First Team

Dayle Grubb

Postby SNJ Ash » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:46 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Dayle Grubb

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Grubb was instrumental in keeping us up. And now no longer needed. If it applied to players why not to managers?
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Seems like Dayle may be on the way out? I'm pleased he is getting a chance to get some game time in and also pleased to hear other EFL2 sides have shown an interest.

I feel he's been a bit unlucky with the injuries and definitely shows potential. Having stepped up to come to us, I really do feel he's worthy of another professional contract.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:23 pm

As i have said before, hats off to him and hope he succeeds elsewhere. With no reserve side, no u/23 side either, how can these lower league players learn from us and enhance their ability when only training and playing in the first-team squad.It seems that if they do not show promise in this environment they are quickly discarded. A sad state of affairs indeed.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:42 pm

GETCARTER wrote:As i have said before, hats off to him and hope he succeeds elsewhere. With no reserve side, no u/23 side either, how can these lower league players learn from us and enhance their ability when only training and playing in the first-team squad.It seems that if they do not show promise in this environment they are quickly discarded. A sad state of affairs indeed.

I'm not sure it is entirely true we don't have a reserve side. Don't we have a team in the Central League? Admittedly, the number of teams and hence games is limited tho'.

I'm not sure what options are available to clubs in EFL2, but I guess there has to be a cost element behind what is done and what can't be done and, as is known, we have a smaller budget than most.

I do tend to agree tho' that players seem to get discarded rather quickly. If anything, there doesn't seem to be a system based on working towards stability. Simply, oh. that doesn't seem to be working, let's bring in someone else without giving it time to develop. But then, I'm sure there are other factors I don't know about.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Good luck Dayle you would be in.my starting line up.Stranger things have happened if you end up at eastleigh you might pass us on the way down as you go up next year.
Another FGR wasted talent.
Bill Shankly
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:30 pm

Bill Shankly wrote:Good luck Dayle you would be in.my starting line up.Stranger things have happened if you end up at eastleigh you might pass us on the way down as you go up next year.
Another FGR wasted talent.

Cooper has a lot to answer for.
FGR-Ledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:39 am

Players have to take some responsibility for their own performances too imo. Plenty of others have shown that if you play consistently well under MC you will play regularly and put yourself in the shop window. The likes of Rawson, Kitching, Mills, Shephard, Winchester and Adams never get dropped, and neither were the likes of Pinnock, Brown or Doidge before they got big moves.

Unfortunately for the likes of Grubb, Mondal and McCoulsky none have done enough over a decent period of time despite getting plenty of chances and so have fallen down the pecking order. That happens in football, there are a lot of players at most clubs and not all of them can play. If you play consistently well and get dropped and then eventually moved on you can complain, if not then you can't imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:06 am

Kentstripe wrote:Players have to take some responsibility for their own performances too imo. Plenty of others have shown that if you play consistently well under MC you will play regularly and put yourself in the shop window. The likes of Rawson, Kitching, Mills, Shephard, Winchester and Adams never get dropped, and neither were the likes of Pinnock, Brown or Doidge before they got big moves.

Unfortunately for the likes of Grubb, Mondal and McCoulsky none have done enough over a decent period of time despite getting plenty of chances and so have fallen down the pecking order. That happens in football, there are a lot of players at most clubs and not all of them can play. If you play consistently well and get dropped and then eventually moved on you can complain, if not then you can't imo.

Charlie Cooper the exceptional one, non? Played poorly but rarely dropped.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:35 am

Charlie Cooper was part of our promotion winning side, struggled in his second season like most of the team, fell out of favour, left on loan and then permanently. Exactly what's happening with the likes of Grubb now.

Personally I quite rated Charlie anyway, and he seems to be doing pretty well at Halifax. He was always under extra scrutiny here, which didn't help him.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am

Kentstripe wrote:Charlie Cooper was part of our promotion winning side, struggled in his second season like most of the team, fell out of favour, left on loan and then permanently. Exactly what's happening with the likes of Grubb now.

Personally I quite rated Charlie anyway, and he seems to be doing pretty well at Halifax. He was always under extra scrutiny here, which didn't help him.

It's posts like this that I wish this forum had a LIKE button.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:27 pm

C Cooper was part of our promotion winning side. However, he wasn't good enough for League 2. That was clear for everyone to see apart from the manager, who happened to be his father. He then went out on loan to Newport and Borehamwood. At the end of his contract, he was given a years extension, which was just sheer and utter nepotism. Someone realised the situation, C Cooper left to go to Bury and then went to Halifax. He is at his level. Maybe he will improve as he is still only 22 and become Football League standard but currently this is not the case. I hope he does well for the future.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:29 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:Charlie Cooper was part of our promotion winning side, struggled in his second season like most of the team, fell out of favour, left on loan and then permanently. Exactly what's happening with the likes of Grubb now.

It's posts like this that I wish this forum had a LIKE button.

snap
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:00 pm

gooseman wrote:At the end of his contract, he was given a years extension, which was just sheer and utter nepotism.

Let’s get the facts right. When Charlie signed permanently in summer 2017 he signed an initial 2 year deal with an option of a 3rd. That extra year was activated last summer as although the intention was to find a new permanent move it made sense for the player to cover himself as anyone would do.

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/may-2019/new ... ained-list

No new contract was handed out, the obligations under the terms of the initial contract were met, a contract that was signed in good faith when many were happy to see him sign straight after promotion.

As it was the player quickly found an alternative move after the Bury move collapsed so I doubt it wouLd have cost FGR any more then maybe a months extra wages.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Never let the facts get in the way of an opinion...
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Good luck to Dayle. He came in around the same time as Reuben Reid I think ? And helped turn things round in our first season at this level.

I liked watching DG in virtually every game he played, with a bit of creative drive. Latterly things haven't worked out quite so well, so good news and an asset for Eastleigh. I see league sides were also interested and I suspect that regular game time would be the benefit of dropping down a level.

I'll be looking out for Eastleigh's results now, among the multitude of others with former FGR players.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:54 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:Players have to take some responsibility for their own performances too imo. Plenty of others have shown that if you play consistently well under MC you will play regularly and put yourself in the shop window. The likes of Rawson, Kitching, Mills, Shephard, Winchester and Adams never get dropped, and neither were the likes of Pinnock, Brown or Doidge before they got big moves.

Charlie Cooper the exceptional one, non? Played poorly but rarely dropped.

and you saw him play in how many games?

22 games over 2 seasons hardly seems like a player not dropped. Matty Stevens has had more game time to prove himself than Charlie did, but as Tim says, we musn't let facts get in the way of opinion.

He's made just about as many appearances for Halifax in 5 months than did for FGR in the previous 2 years. I'm pleased for the lad.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 pm

World beater at Nat lg level . Found out at lg2 level. Shame he couldn’t be coached to succeed at the step up. Has plenty of strengths to prosper. Will like others take interest In Eastleigh results.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby Fred12+ » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:38 am

Got booked on Eastleigh debut last night and subbed on 75 minutes
Fred12+
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Cumbrian » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Good luck at Eastleigh Dayle!

That's the way it is with Cooper, pay money, player sidelined, out on a free. Dayle could be easily League 2 standard under a good manager, he works hard, causes defences problems and has an eye for goal

Cooper has been here almost 4 years, he has learned nothing from his long tenure, the patterns keep getting repeated.

I would think most players leaving might be sorry to leave the club, but not the manager.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Next

Return to FGR First Team