Cheltenham

All about our First Team

Re: Cheltenham

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm

And talking of Cheltenham crowds ... only 70000 then for the Gold Cup !!! How did that survive the axe?
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby paulK » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:31 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Three?
Bradford
Swindon
???

Leyton Orient, I believe.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:54 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Three?
Bradford
Swindon
???

Leyton Orient 1962-63
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:22 am

Hands up from me .... I never knew that !!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:44 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Hands up from me .... I never knew that !!

Just once in the 1962-63 season.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Seat C32 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:35 am

Also, I know we haven't beaten them this season but Northampton Town and Carlisle have been in the first division, and many years ago Grimsby Town.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:54 am

Both Notts County and Chesterfield in the National league have played top flight football
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 am

There are also 7 teams in League 2 who have played top flight football
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:21 am

Yes .... we’ve missed Oldham Athletic of course !
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Philpot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:16 am

Seat C32 wrote:Also, I know we haven't beaten them this season but Northampton Town and Carlisle have been in the first division, and many years ago Grimsby Town.

Grimsby Town have actually had 11 seasons playing to flight
Last relegated in early 60 s
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am

Currently in league 1 and lower I’m counting 19 teams who have played top flight football but I know I may have missed some
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:35 pm

With my advanced years and bad health I suspect I might not be around when the pandemic is declared over.
But I will go to my grave in the happy knowledge that since moving to Stroud and supporting FGR they have in the past five years been in four promotion play -off places, enjoyed two trips to Wembley and never lost to Cheltenham.
In fact I have enjoyed watching all four of the FGR victories over them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I now have the honour of being banned from their forum [again].
You can check it out for yourself but they have a moderator who even some on their forum call an idiot. Hi Ralph :D
Apparently anybody can state falsehoods against me but it seems I'm not permitted to reply to them.
One can see why they have so few regular contributors as compared to the well run FGR forum.

Resume of my ban:
KG111 was losing a ding dong against another on their forum and brought my name up to try and bolster his case.
I had not contributed to that thread nor wished to do so but nevertheless KG11 slagged me off big time.
I requested he cease whereupon he upped his offensive tirade against me.
For those who know KG111 will remember he stopped supporting FGR under a very dark cloud.
Since then he has had nothing good to say about us.
Sad for KG111 really because he supported FGR for many years when they were playing at old ground.

KG111 left TNL after throwing a punch at a security guy and has been in self denial about it since, even though the incident was captured on CCTV.
Publicly leaving FGR made him an instant hero at Cheltenham who it seems will not counter any dissent against their new favourite.
They have yet to find out that KG111 loves stirring the pot. They will.
I leave their forum with my head held high. I have been unfairly smeared but fully truthful in reply.
In fact Ralph has done me a favour; their forum is rubbish and I had stopped contributing to it as little as I possible could.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Thommo999 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:With my advanced years and bad health I suspect I might not be around when the pandemic is declared over.
But I will go to my grave in the happy knowledge that since moving to Stroud and supporting FGR they have in the past five years been in four promotion play -off places, enjoyed two trips to Wembley and never lost to Cheltenham.
In fact I have enjoyed watching all four of the FGR victories over them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

You'll still be around for many more victories over Cheltenham OTC!
Thommo999
Youth
Youth

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Thommo999 wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:With my advanced years and bad health I suspect I might not be around when the pandemic is declared over.
In fact I have enjoyed watching all four of the FGR victories over them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

You'll still be around for many more victories over Cheltenham OTC!

Within minutes of me relating my banning post on forum it had been copied and reposted on the Cheltenham forum. And I am absolutely chuffed to bits about it.
Shows that those in Cheltenham are addicted to our great forum. In fact I think we have about double the number of regular contributors than their own. :D
But more importantly to me personally is that the above paragraph, where I reminded everybody that FGR had not lost to Cheltenham in years but had secured four wins in same period, was included on their copy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Obviously I would not and did not gloat on their forum whenever FGR won an ElGlosico match.
I usually got banned by a cussed Ralph within hours of final whistle. :D
So I’m well pleased that after the years of unrelenting and unfair flak that I’ve taken from them I get to have the last laugh. ;)
Having a post on their forum with the four laughing emojo’s at their misfortune is wonderful: that is one gloating emojo for every FGR win. And they did it to themselves which makes it even funnier. :lol:
So my message to Ralph, who I know reads this forum: ‘it is those who laugh last, laugh the loudest’. And I’m the one laughing the loudest.
Glory, glory Forest Green Rovers

ps Ralph, I’ve taken screenshot of my post on the Cheltenham forum for prosperity.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:52 pm

Cheltenham have posted some a video of their best long range goals they've score over the past decade.
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2020/march/netbusters/
Some excellent goals amongst them but obviously none against FGR.
However a goal by our own Carl Winchester is included. :D
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Interview on Cheltenham's website that might be of interest.
Joycie is interviewing manager Michael Duff on playing for club during their 1st promotion from Conference.
Joycie is an excellent interviewer [shame about the sweat shirt he's wearing] and gets MD to talk a lot about management in modern times.
Recommended.
https://www.ctfc.com/
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat May 02, 2020 4:25 pm

Another Cheltenham video popped up on my Facebook page that could be of interest to FGR supporters.
Joycie and a few Cheltenham players from their Conference winning year talk about that season.
Joycie has a small part but Danny Wright contributes a fair bit.
FGR get a mention but not overly.
I found it fascinating listening to players discussing their manager and teams attitude for which for them was an outstanding season.
https://www.facebook.com/ctfcofficial/
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team