Eco Park pushes on

All about our First Team

Re: Eco Park pushes on

Postby Bill Shankly » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Great news on The stadium...a new pitch beckons with proper drainage.

Its not a question of liking or not liking the manager but we don't like to see the team constantly losing,languishing or worse still being relegated when the primary reason is a failure of the football management team to be adequately staffed with a functioning number No 2 .,an effective Dof F and a motivtated functioning team.

I for one hope the move is wonderful and that the management team MC or otherwise can bring some success whilst we encourage the players.
Bill Shankly
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:15 pm

This will be a big boost to morale at the club I expect, as it helps promote the ambitious outlook.

We aren't going to go down at any point I the near future. Yes this season has been disappointing but like two years ago lessons will be learnt, we'll make a few adjustments in the summer and be ready to go again next season. Can't see any reason to worry about next season, two years ago we finished 21st and followed that up by coming 5th. Things change a lot from one season to the next, our very young squad will be a year wiser, we'll almost certainly have better luck with injuries and the pitch will be improved. The futures bright even if things have gone a bit backwards these last few months imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:19 pm

So many players out of contract coming up. Next season is pivotal. How many will renew after current season. Not many I would have thought. We only got promoted through the back door and to do it again would be miraculous. Lets hope the focus doesn’t entirely slip to off the field activities. A successful team must be first and foremost for us to prosper.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby man_of_kent » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:07 pm

20yrs and counting wrote: We only got promoted through the back door and to do it again would be miraculous. .

eh?...I remember us winning the play-offs at Wembley!!!! With only 2 going up (i.e. only the winner of the league automatic) that was due to being a good team. Maybe your back door is only made of solid silver rather than gold ! :lol:
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:30 pm

ALL threads seem to coming back to MC and failure.

It's a shame as outline planning is a major step off the field but keeping MC could mean the new Lawn is fine in the National league.
We can all mean but he is in situ till DV says no more.
Declining attendances more than results may trigger the necessary hit in the pocket effect.
Midweek games this month v Morecambe and Orient may be pivotal as the gates just scrape over 1000.

Let's leave the ground development to Dale and his team and just hope the football side improves.
Bill Shankly
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:25 pm

Tommo wrote:Good news (on balance) about the stadium.?

We’ve got to think as long term as DV and not worry about short term blips.

I don’t get why some people think that having a manager they don’t like much means they have to withdraw their support from the club. We and the club, in some form, will be around long after MC.

Anyway, he got us promoted and given us a decent platform in EFL2. He’s bound to be sacked or move in one day but why not support the club meanwhile?

We will be around long after he has gone which makes it bizarre that Dale is allowing him to linger on when fans just want him gone and to move on. Why risk the long term support of fans to keep in in place a failing coach?
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 pm

man_of_kent wrote:
20yrs and counting wrote: We only got promoted through the back door and to do it again would be miraculous. .

eh?...I remember us winning the play-offs at Wembley!!!! With only 2 going up (i.e. only the winner of the league automatic) that was due to being a good team. Maybe your back door is only made of solid silver rather than gold ! :lol:

Back door. It was an underachievement not to win the division.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Bill Shankly wrote:ALL threads seem to coming back to MC and failure.

He is very much the only negative and divisive feature of the club. That would be a reason to discard when good are the times, let alone when form is the worst for years.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:36 pm

Sad news to see the club ripped from the town where it was founded.

From hope to despair in 10 years.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks

"Keep Forest Green in Forest Green"
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:05 am

Eco-Exile wrote:

He is very much the only negative and divisive feature of the club.

You obviously don't talk to many fans then. Whatever people's opinions on MC, he certainly isn't the only thing dividing the fanbase. The reaction to this Eco Park news is mixed, to say the least.
Last edited by Kentstripe on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:13 am

Eco-Exile wrote:
man_of_kent wrote:

Back door. It was an underachievement not to win the division.

That’s not right imo. Getting out of the NL was a huge achievement and you only had to be at Wembley when we were outnumbered by Tranmere by about 4:1 to see we were underpowered versus several clubs there. DV invested and it paid off and no way was it underachievement.

Kentstripe wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

He is very much the only negative and divisive feature of the club.

You obviously don't talk to many fans then. Whatever people's opinions on MC, he certainly isn't the only thing dividing the fanbase. The reaction to this Eco Park news is mixed, to say the least.

Sadly, that is true.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:24 am

Quite a few long term fans saying they won't come back, that DV has destroyed the club etc. Hopefully this move gains the club more fans then it loses though, but it's a shame to hear people who were once very committed fans saying the club is dead to them. I suppose you can't progress without upsetting some people. Hopefully this move is handled sensitively and some of the doubters are swayed. Personally I've got mixed feelings, for the club to still be in Forest Green after 130 years, playing in the football league is incredible and imo it won't feel quite like the same club anymore once it moves to junction 13. But at the same time if the club has genuine Championship aspirations it clearly can't stay where it is. The new stadium will give the club that potential, although attracting thousands of new fans isn't guaranteed.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:14 am

It is a strange feeling for many. The affinity they once had for the club has been steadily eroded for last 5 years or so. For the commercial/ business/ corporate sector the club continues to grow. In doing so many long term fans have lost there affection for the Club as this has been Clubs main focus, rather than keeping long term fans happy with improvements in North/South stand.

Is moving really progress? From a business point of view, maybe. From a local infrastructure point of view, absolutely. Roads should be better structured in locality, canal restoration, local jobs. But a Club in the middle of nowhere, with history only by name association, will it be loved? DV has the right to do whatever he likes with FGR because as a professional Club it would not exist. Amateur status would be achievable 5 leagues below where we currently are and I’m sure it would be loved by many at that level staying at TNL.

I find it hard as a fan sitting on the fence neither for or against. When we were amateur with just 500 fans we were so passionate and people genuinely loved the Club. Now when I go it feels so soulless and my head just cannot grasp whether this is progress or not. At least following FGR is never boring. It’s a journey and we’ll just have to see where it takes us.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby Bristol_Green » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:39 am

This is ridiculous.

We have made it to the Football League. Despite a recent bad run, we are stable this season. We made the play offs last year. Our Chairman has ambition to go higher up the pyramid.

Attendances are a record high.

Our fan base is growing nationally and internationally.

We are leading the way off the pitch with our environmental ethos.

We are getting a state of the art new stadium.

All I'm hearing is...

A handful of young people moaning about wanting to eat meat, and hating our chairman because brexit.

A handful of people moaning that they won't be renewing their season ticket until Coops goes. We've even reached the hyperbole level where someone just compared Coops to Trump, Erdogan, and Bolsanaro.

If the hundred or so moaners want to go and watch county league football in a field, and eat gristle burgers , fine. Go and do so.

The other few thousand of us FGR supporters will keep backing our club, players, management, and chairman. And being like most football supporters would be, excited we are in the league and getting a new stadium.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:49 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:This is ridiculous.

We have made it to the Football League. Despite a recent bad run, we are stable this season. We made the play offs last year. Our Chairman has ambition to go higher up the pyramid.

All I'm hearing is...

A handful of young people moaning about wanting to eat meat, and hating our chairman because brexit.

A handful of people moaning that they won't be renewing their season ticket until Coops goes. We've even reached the hyperbole level where someone just compared Coops to Trump, Erdogan, and Bolsanaro.

If the hundred or so moaners want to go and watch county league football in a field, and eat gristle burgers , fine. Go and do so.

The other few thousand of us FGR supporters will keep backing our club, players, management, and chairman. And being like most football supporters would be, excited we are in the league and getting a new stadium.

Attendances are not longer at a record high. They about 200 per match down on last season, which itself was around 70 down per match on the previous season.

Dismissing the concerned fans as people who want to eat meat or are Brexit voters is offensive. I do not eat meat and limit dairy to organic and I have been the most outspoken on this forum site as pro-EU. I have the balanced view which you cannot see: I am pleased absolutely with where we are at the highest level we have been with a great ethos, chairman who pioneers so much positive work and a fantastic new stadium on the planning table. At the same time I recognise the valid concerns over the changing or lost identify of FGR, the attitude and capability of the coach and football director, and the general off the pitch direction.

Why do people not see that this is not a binary issue. You can love parts of the club and deteste parts. It does not have to be all of one or one other. There is no need for divisive camps.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Don’t get me wrong. I am not anti progress or anti moving. I am sat firmly on the fence. I am just saying I no longer have great affection or affinity to the Club anymore. And I know a hundred others who feel the same. The majority are long term supporters who feel ignored and no longer wanted.

Maybe they will gain more new fans than long term fans they are continuing to lose. Does the club care. Probably not. Time can only tell. One thing for sure. Attendance is down. Football is dire. Atmosphere is poor. Will people come back. Who knows. Having a small fan base, surely the club afford to lose more? Changing current management structure could lure back a few, likewise good season tickets for next season. Even an olive branch with incentives for those who have not been to return. We will probably never have a bigger fan base than Cheltscum. Only way to compete at league 1 level is to move. Could probably cope at league 2 level with improvements at TNL.
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby Bristol_Green » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:

All I'm hearing is...

Attendances are not longer at a record high. They about 200 per match down on last season, which itself was around 70 down per match on the previous season.

Dismissing the concerned fans as people who want to eat meat or are Brexit voters is offensive. I do not eat meat and limit dairy to organic and I have been the most outspoken on this forum site as pro-EU. I have the balanced view which you cannot see: I am pleased absolutely with where we are at the highest level we have been with a great ethos, chairman who pioneers so much positive work and a fantastic new stadium on the planning table. At the same time I recognise the valid concerns over the changing or lost identify of FGR, the attitude and capability of the coach and football director, and the general off the pitch direction.

Why do people not see that this is not a binary issue. You can love parts of the club and deteste parts. It does not have to be all of one or one other. There is no need for divisive camps.

It's really not that divisive.

There's a dozen complaining on this forum. And another couple of dozen stirring on Twitter Facebook and Instagram. It isn't that many.

Everyone else just gets on with being an FGR supporter.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

All I'm hearing is...

There's a dozen complaining on this forum. And another couple of dozen stirring on Twitter Facebook and Instagram. It isn't that many.

You branded every supporter who has concerns as a young meat eating Brexit voter. That is a very divisive accusation.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
Bristol_Green wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

All I'm hearing is...

You branded every supporter who has concerns as a young meat eating Brexit voter. That is a very divisive accusation.
We are punching above our weight, and stable in League 2. We are getting a swanky new stadium.

I'm not sure what there is to be concerned about?
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Concerns have been documented well over the previous months and year, as have the positives. If you refuse to acknowledge any of the valid complaints that’s is as ignorant and dismissive as those who refuse to acknowledge the positives.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team