Match thread from the County Ground (Swindon)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from the County Ground (Swindon)

Postby whoisit » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:Sack the Manager, we weren't expected that result to be honest and it was all his fault. Players on the naughty step, not picking the players that the supporters want and I bet he blames all the players for not letting Swindon win. He can not do any thing right can he FGR-Ledge.

Actually well done the players, Management and all those travelling supporters, you could be heard loudly.

Attendance: 9257

Man-of-the-Match: Chris Stokes

My imaginary cat is purring like mad and has a large Cheshire Cat type grin.

LM

Very unprofessional and not funny .I'm very surprised as you are normally good for a laugh.
whoisit
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Now we have to start winning at home. Great result today!
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:41 pm

That's more like it - wonder if there were any changes in preparation for this game? If there were, obviously need repeating. Sounded like a great performance.

6 out of 7 on my accumulator.......got one wrong.......hey ho....
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:01 pm

really pleased with the result-and similar to MC -pleased for the players ,those who witnessed it ,and indeed MC himself .

that given-some people may think it is mere coincidence that 10 of the 11 starting 11 were with FGR from the start of the season (and maybe Stokes counts as a half ) .
(it really was a rubbish january window wasn't it ? )

equally MC advises us that Adams played up front because 'we need someone to win the ball in the air '

-agreed -so why didnt fgr sign a forward with aerial ability in either the summer-or certainly correct the matter in january.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:36 pm

As ever great commitment from the players. Going to be a tough physical one against Northampton next Sat then a tough Tues against Morecambe. Will prob have to rotate the squad, so hopefully a few injuries will clear up. Noticed MC little dig about atmosphere at TNL in interview. He’s right, but that’s the way clubs made it.

As I missed this match and we won. I have some good news. I’m away next 2 home matches. So should be bankers. To squeeze into the play offs, will probably have to win all remaining matches. On the flip side lose a few and my predicted finish beckons. I still think the squad is slightly over achieving. Which begs the question. Why didn’t we go for it in the Jan window? Looks like consolidation until stadium approved.

I’ve always liked the option of using Adams as a target man. Just a shame we lose his drive in midfield. If we had 3 or 4 Ebou’s we could make play off’s. Has he any brothers.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:03 pm

whoisit wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:Sack the Manager, we weren't expected that result to be honest and it was all his fault. Players on the naughty step, not picking the players that the supporters want and I bet he blames all the players for not letting Swindon win. He can not do any thing right can he FGR-Ledge.

Actually well done the players, Management and all those travelling supporters, you could be heard loudly.

LM

Very unprofessional and not funny .I'm very surprised as you are normally good for a laugh.

Oh I'm so sorry to disappoint you whoisit, I thought I was having a laugh, I'll tell myself off and try better next time.

COW
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby whoisit » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
whoisit wrote:

LM

Oh I'm so sorry to disappoint you whoisit, I thought I was having a laugh, I'll tell myself off and try better next time.

COW

Thanks for the apology Lady Magpie much appreciated and I'm so glad to see you got your sense of humour back...
whoisit
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Spot yourself in the fans' gallery at Swindon.

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... ndon-town/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tom FGR » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 pm

Fantastic performance. Cooper set us up fantastically, we limited Swindon to half chances and our game management was superb.

Northampton is a crucial game, this team is 100% behind the manager and so should us fans be.
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:16 pm

A thoroughly enjoyable trip to Swindon, trepidatious before the match but as always every match starts 50 50.

We pressed very well all game although we nearly got caught out a couple of times in the first half.

Matty Stevens' goal was well worked and well deserved. Take a leaf out of Christian Doidge's book and keep at it, create your own luck.

An all round good team performance all over the pitch. We didn't let swindon boss us and shut them down all over the pitch.

I think I would agree with Chris Stokes as MOTM but plenty of all round 95 minutes performances.

I unusually drove down on friday and listened to 5 live interviewing a fulham defender about his experiences, it rang so true. As a defender you can play at the top of your game for 89 and three quarter minutes but if you are caught switched off for those missing seconds then you're done for. No costly moments today, and hopefully our luck has turned for the rest of the run in.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:51 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:58 am

The highlights on Sky make for interesting viewing for those of us (probably most of us) who couldn't see the goal at the far end because of that steel post. G-W's goal saving tackle towards the end was superb; I thought he played really well. I agree with Stokes as MOM though.

And Wellens seems pretty measured in his post-match comments considering he seemed to be up for fighting McGinley in the second half.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:18 am

Great performance by the players, manager and everyone involved in yesterday's match. Also, much credit and respect to the manager who has endured a torrid few weeks, but has kept focus and delivered a stunning result. All we need now is a home win.....
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tj1889 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13 am

Really enjoyed seeing Ebou playing further up the pitch. His physicality was really useful. Also his ability to be fouled is much more beneficial in the attacking half.
I have thought he would would make a good attacking midfielder since his performance at Leyton Orient.
Also great to see Dokes playing well and getting his chance in the team.
Let’s play the same team again and see what happens.
Tj1889
Youth
Youth

Postby Foggy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 am

Just watched the highlights, good all round team performance, particularly liked the makeshift central defensive partnership of Stokes and Dokes...looks like they played brilliantly together, the tackle in the box from the latter late in the game was superb.

Not a result I had been expecting, but maybe this can re-ignite our season, play-offs not completely out of the question?
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:40 pm

Great away day yesterday.
On paper not our strongest XI in the starting berths but boy they worked hard for each other right from the kick off - looked threatening going forward and when Ebou had come to terms with the offside rule playing in his more advanced position we really made Swindon look surprisingly edgy. Great pressure on their back line from the start and a sweet move for the early goal
The second just 5 minutes into the second half really killed them - great play by Jack out on the right - probably our best cross this season and what a header from Ebou ..... the Rovers following loved it and even the celebratory knee slide didn’t dampen the delight.
We need more goals then Ebou and co can improve their celebrations !!!
Don’t know how big our following was yesterday - felt like 400+ but was great to be back amongst a positive and high spirited crowd.
Just one game of course but a win, a clean sheet and away to the free scoring league leaders - what’s not to like? And all that achieved without a vest wing back pairing and without our regular centre back pairing. Not bad eh? Oh and I really think it’s no coincidence that we’ve been looking better at the back since Lewis came back into the side.
Great day to be a Rovers fan and we haven’t had many in the last couple of months!!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:58 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Don’t know how big our following was yesterday - felt like 400+ but was great to be back amongst a positive and high spirited crowd.

A steward told me that 650 away fans were expected.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Further reflections: some have criticised Stokes for poor distribution but I think his long balls were just the job because they got us up the pitch quickly and turned the Swindon defence to face their own goal, where they tended to look uncomfortable. Indeed some of their anxious tippy-tappy at the back reminded me of watching a certain team from Nailsworth. Their 44 looked particularly nervous and unwilling to pass forwards. Sign him up?
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:55 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:28 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team