FGR: - good example for other village clubs

All about our First Team

FGR: - good example for other village clubs

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm

When the first games were cancelled a week ago I looked around for another game to watch.
I noticed that Brimscombe & Thrupp were to play Virginia Water and said to myself I’d go and watch that game. Unfortunately it was later called off as well.

For the first two decades plus of my life I lived in the village of Virginia Water in Surrey. Part of the village includes Windsor Great Park and Wentworth golf club.
So their fixture against B&T was of interest to me.

In the first decade of my life on Saturdays I’d watch VW playing in field opposite my school. I went mainly because many spectators used to drop their empty Tizer bottles on ground and there was a 3d deposit on every bottle. I collected them and reclaimed the deposit money for myself.

In those days, c1950s, VW used to play in awful coloured shirts of red and green squares. But those shirts made a mark in my memory ‘cause I still remember them today.
I had forgotten all about that until very recently and then checked out their website.

I then wrote to chairman with my reminisces of days gone by. At that time I lived very close to their Chairman, who received free tickets for VIP games at Wembley. He was not interested in going and I remember watching games at the Twin Towers nearly every year c/o his freebies.

The current VW team have had two promotions and now play in the Hellenic Premier Division but their ground is considered too undeveloped to host league matches. Thus VW are currently tenants of Windsor FC.

In my letter I explained that I was now a season ticket holder at FGR and he knew about us being a village club who has been promoted to the EFL.
Until his reply I had not realised that FGR is used as prime example for other small clubs to emulate.
That came as a pleasant surprise because I’m so used to FGR getting knocked as the small village club who did not deserve to be in the EFL.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: FGR: - good example for other village clubs

Postby Thommo999 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks Tom - enjoyed reading that.

They should bring back bottle deposits - I'm always surprised that the bottles at the New Lawn are plastic.
Thommo999
Youth
Youth

Return to FGR First Team