NATHAN THOMAS

All about our First Team

NATHAN THOMAS

Postby UPtheGreen » Sat May 16, 2020 12:38 pm

This is the lad that was on loan at Carlisle and scored a hat-trick against us , looked a cut above, being released by Sheffield United this summer,

Would be a great signing

https://the72.co.uk/166035/very-good-de ... ague-move/
UPtheGreen
Reserves
Reserves

Re: NATHAN THOMAS

Postby GETCARTER » Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 pm

As i have said previously on here, now is the time to look for released players, to boost our squad. I note that amongst others, Watford and Southampton are keen to get their released youngsters signed up elsewhere.........an ideal chance to bolster our numbers with quality up-and-coming talent with potential ( eg. George Williams ).
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun May 17, 2020 9:11 am

Carlisle and Salford have already announced their retained lists and both clubs have released significant numbers of players who are out of contract at the end of June. I sort of agree with GETCARTER, that there is a good opportunity to pick up released players from teams above, I suspect we are now entering a phase where the clubs hold a greater degree of control over hiring players than they have for years. I don't think that is a bad thing if it cuts down on the amounts of money some clubs appear to be paying to player agents.

Given our recent record of scouting players for a significant length of time before deciding whether to offer a contract I wouldn't be at all surprised if we have a list of potential targets drawn up already.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Kentstripe » Sun May 17, 2020 9:44 am

All our players are on furlough, and we don't have any idea when or if next season will start.

The main thing will be to trim the squad as much as possible, not sign more players I would have thought. Same for most clubs. No point having players if you don't have any matches to play, or any income.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 am

In addition to the above, and following Kentstripe's post. I would expect the club to have a list of targets ready to sign, when football is ready to recommence, not necessarily now...which would of course make little sense whatsoever given current circumstances.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby NeilC » Sun May 17, 2020 10:50 am

Kentstripe wrote:All our players are on furlough, and we don't have any idea when or if next season will start.

The main thing will be to trim the squad as much as possible, not sign more players I would have thought. Same for most clubs. No point having players if you don't have any matches to play, or any income.

We only have 8 players under contract from the end of June I think:
Smith, Godwin Malife, Kitching, Winchester, Adams, Stevens, Collins and McClosky

With uncertainty of income in terms of gate receipts it’s quite a sound place to be.

Could be a challenging time for lots of out of contract players across the leagues.
NeilC
Reserves
Reserves

Postby gooseman » Sun May 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Think both Thomas and Bernard have another year left on their contracts. Got an extension during the season. March is also under contract.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NeilC » Sun May 17, 2020 2:22 pm

We have a team then! 2 goalies and lots of strikers!
NeilC
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Sun May 17, 2020 6:36 pm

I thought Mc Goalski was told he was not wanted,and was open to offers.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 pm

GETCARTER wrote:I thought Mc Goalski was told he was not wanted,and was open to offers.

He won't get any for a while, hardly any clubs can afford to make any signings at this point.

Worrying time for lower league players at the moment. Can see quite a few having to leave the game altogether given the state of finances across the board.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Tue May 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Its not a case of McCoulsky not being wanted. The fact is he has another year on his contract. He was given a two and a half year by Cooper and I'm afraid to say this turned out to be a very poor decision. You could argue that the current situation could actually help lower league clubs by players wage demands being reduced.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:06 am

Thomas would have been first on the team sheet at Carlisle, bit his form did dip when Beech took over. Maybe not Cooper's type, not known for his passing if a shot is on, which if you remember from one of his typical goals at FGR, is from almost anywhere.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Return to FGR First Team